Best bank pool instructor

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Need to know who is the best bank pool instructor

I don't know who the "best" is, but Jerry Briesath is great.

Are you asking for a friend? I only ask that because I know you're a huge CTE fan and I thought CTE nailed bank shots as simply as straight-ins, seeing how the "15, 30, and 45 connect to the right angles of a pool table". All you gotta do for banks, according to Stan, is control speed and spin, and CTE supposedly does the rest automatically.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes for a friend,he is not open to CTE and I am not an instructor.

Back in May I participated in a free clinic on banking and kicking by Jerry Briesath. He asked for someone with a good stroke and my buddies pushed me forward. Jerry had me shoot several bank shots the way I hit most banks, using spin here and there.

Then he set several shots up and showed us how they were dead banks just the way they lay, no need for any spin. He said, "Ok, Brian, you've proved to be a good banker, now how would you hit this one?" The shot looked like it was way off, too wide for such a narrow bank. I said I'd aim it thicker and use top inside to shorten the shot up. He said, "I want you to shoot center ball and hit the object ball straight on with a good firm speed." So I did....and the ball split the pocket. I shot 5 or 6 like this, each one dead in the hole though it sure didn't look dead. He had another player try a few and the balls quit hitting the pocket. The guy said, "I'm hitting center ball and aiming straight at the ball." Jerry said, "The cue ball would stop in place if you hit it like I asked, with no drift left or right. You are either missing center cue ball or not aiming straight to the object ball." Just goes to show the importance of stroke when it comes to learning what someone else is trying to teach.

I've spent years and years banking balls with spin because I thought that was the best way to tighten or shorten the angle when needed. He showed me something I never thought about, the action of the ob when sliding into the cushion. If the ball looks like it needs to shorten up, and it's a diamond or less from the cushion, it's more than likely a dead bank with no spin needed.

Jerry gave a great lesson on natural banks and we all learned something. Not sure where your buddy lives, but I hope he finds an instructor as smooth and knowledgeable as Jerry Briesath.

Last edited:

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Along these same lines what is everyone's opinion on "Banking with the Beard"? Are there any other materials/media you'd recommend that would help one's bank game?

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy;

Have both of Burmback's and both of the Beard's videos excellent information in both sets.
I consider both sets to be very good investments.

hank

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Along these same lines what is everyone's opinion on "Banking with the Beard"? Are there any other materials/media you'd recommend that would help one's bank game?
I've read it but not started on my bank journey yet. It's worth the price just for the anecdotes and stories, but the system seems like it should work well, but again, I can't vouch for it since I've not really started on banks much yet. I don't see why it wouldn't though. I have a few more things I'm working on first and I read it on breaks at work, away from the table.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Banking with the Beard from Freddie is a "must read" in your arsenal. tons of necessary knowledge. extremly well written treasure of knowledge.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Back in May I participated in a free clinic on banking and kicking by Jerry Briesath. He asked for someone with a good stroke and my buddies pushed me forward. Jerry had me shoot several bank shots the way I hit most banks, using spin here and there.

Then he set several shots up and showed us how they were dead banks just the way they lay, no need for any spin. He said, "Ok, Brian, you've proved to be a good banker, now how would you hit this one?" The shot looked like it was way off, too wide for such a narrow bank. I said I'd aim it thicker and use top inside to shorten the shot up. He said, "I want you to shoot center ball and hit the object ball straight on with a good firm speed." So I did....and the ball split the pocket. I shot 5 or 6 like this, each one dead in the hole though it sure didn't look dead. He had another player try a few and the balls quit hitting the pocket. The guy said, "I'm hitting center ball and aiming straight at the ball." Jerry said, "The cue ball would stop in place if you hit it like I asked, with no drift left or right. You are either missing center cue ball or not aiming straight to the object ball." Just goes to show the importance of stroke when it comes to learning what someone else is trying to teach.

I've spent years and years banking balls with spin because I thought that was the best way to tighten or shorten the angle when needed. He showed me something I never thought about, the action of the ob when sliding into the cushion. If the ball looks like it needs to shorten up, and it's a diamond or less from the cushion, it's more than likely a dead bank with no spin needed.

Jerry gave a great lesson on natural banks and we all learned something. Not sure where your buddy lives, but I hope he finds an instructor as smooth and knowledgeable as Jerry Briesath.
Saw this "Aha Effect" on several of my students :) As soon as you start to really "learn" about how to bank...it will also teach you so much more for your all around game as well :)
Was a great reading from you Brian- and i really was grinning like crazy :p

hope you re doin well Brian- happy new year.