Video: how to shoot caroms of from ball.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carom shots made easy. Me explaining Russian way to make cueball off from ball. Russian Pyramid Billiards is game with super tight pockets and 12ft tables. I have now played it a little and learned carom shot basics. Learning this also boost your safety game.
Secret is in the speed and half ball hit.

My livestream from yesterday. I first play carom 8-ball, which is really fun game with opponent. Then I give basics to making cueball off from object ball.
Don´t leave 9-ball near pocket for me !!! :D:D

here is last 10 minutes where I teach basics of making carom shots. Demonstrating while explaining.

https://youtu.be/edVYNUeEafI?t=3793

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carom shots made easy. Me explaining Russian way to make cueball off from ball. Russian Pyramid Billiards is game with super tight pockets and 12ft tables. I have now played it a little and learned carom shot basics. Learning this also boost your safety game.
Secret is in the speed and half ball hit.

My livestream from yesterday. I first play carom 8-ball, which is really fun game with opponent. Then I give basics to making cueball off from object ball.
Don´t leave 9-ball near pocket for me !!! :D:D

here is last 10 minutes where I teach basics of making carom shots. Demonstrating while explaining.

https://youtu.be/edVYNUeEafI?t=3793

Thanks. Good stuff

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, the half-ball follow angle is a critical one to know. The people who play English billiards have known and written about it since 1839. Here is some amazing English billiards play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAkDn28dy7E

Notice how quickly the players size up the angle for various speeds.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's interesting. Is there such a thing as 14.1 carom?

There is a game in which you play object balls to scratch off the cue ball. It is called reverse pool or Irish pool. We used to start it with object ball in hand behind the line and the fifteen ball rack with the cue ball in front. The break is not a normal half-ball shot because a tight rack acts heavier than a single ball and the incoming ball is pushed more to the side.

After the break you tend to look for half-ball shots and leaving the cue ball near a pocket. Since you're shooting object balls, you don't necessarily have to break up clusters as at regular 14.1.

It's a very good way to learn carom angles if you don't have anything to play on but a pool table.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a game in which you play object balls to scratch off the cue ball. It is called reverse pool or Irish pool. We used to start it with object ball in hand behind the line and the fifteen ball rack with the cue ball in front. The break is not a normal half-ball shot because a tight rack acts heavier than a single ball and the incoming ball is pushed more to the side.

After the break you tend to look for half-ball shots and leaving the cue ball near a pocket. Since you're shooting object balls, you don't necessarily have to break up clusters as at regular 14.1.

It's a very good way to learn carom angles if you don't have anything to play on but a pool table.

Sounds like a fun game to try but I bet it messes with your brain a little bit when you return to pocketing the object ball instead of trying to scratch.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a fun game to try but I bet it messes with your brain a little bit when you return to pocketing the object ball instead of trying to scratch.
The hope is that you learn to recognize shots that are a certain scratch. And caroms to the nine ball.:smile:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Back in the late 70s....betting on shots with a man who reached the top 32 in the WPBSA
....told him I would bet on making 7 out of 10 in-offs..black spot from the side pocket...
...with one hand
...won it on the last shot
Went double or nothing on 8 out of 10
Went double or nothing on 9 out 10

Offered to do it 10 out of 10...double or nothing....
..he says ‘Now I know I can’t win...for my $80,...tell me why you’re gonna make it every time.”
He was a good guy...so I asked him “Why do you think the black spot is 12.75 inches
from the top rail?...he didn’t know....said “Why wouldn’t it be 12 inches?”....
...”because it’s the red spot from English billiards....from the side or top corner pocket...
...it’s a perfect half-ball in-off....just hit it slightly high ball...medium speed.”
He said “I’m never going to forget that.”

In case Duckie reads this....the half-ball is visual...not mathematical.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, sort of. You learn to judge it visually, but it is the underlying physics that explains why it works so well and in fact predicts the half-ball angle and the details of its sensitivity to fullness of hit. It turns out that the maximum spread actually happens for a hit very slightly fuller than half ball.

In my case, I bet on scratching off (going in-off) the pink from the D shooting with the butt of my cue. Goodness... that was 53 years ago.

Evidently your WPBSA fish had never read Holt.

CropperCapture[346].jpg

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Well, sort of. You learn to judge it visually, but it is the underlying physics that explains why it works so well and in fact predicts the half-ball angle and the details of its sensitivity to fullness of hit. It turns out that the maximum spread actually happens for a hit very slightly fuller than half ball.

In my case, I bet on scratching off (going in-off) the pink from the D shooting with the butt of my cue. Goodness... that was 53 years ago.

Evidently your WPBSA fish had never read Holt.

View attachment 525165

Here’s how it works for me.....

9C790B04-F5B5-4A90-A114-F13E6B025F86.jpeg

I probably make instinctual adjustments for thickness of cloth and age of the balls.

....I also use inside english to narrow the angle and outside english to widen it...
...although the easiest way to widen it is to increase the speed.
I feel the english effect works on the snooker cloth...delayed contact?
...whaddiya think, Bob

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here’s how it works for me.....

View attachment 525172

I probably make instinctual adjustments for thickness of cloth and age of the balls.

....I also use inside english to narrow the angle and outside english to widen it...
...although the easiest way to widen it is to increase the speed.
I feel the english effect works on the snooker cloth...delayed contact?
...whaddiya think, Bob
I think inside helps narrow the angle (reduce it from 35 degrees) two ways. First the rubbing slows down the cue ball in the tangent direction. The other is that there will be a curve towards the side of the english which changes the approach angle a little.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think inside helps narrow the angle (reduce it from 35 degrees) two ways. First the rubbing slows down the cue ball in the tangent direction. The other is that there will be a curve towards the side of the english which changes the approach angle a little.

So much of my knowledge is empirical and visual,,,,and my early experience is with 4.5 oz
Vitalite snooker balls...on 26 oz WOE snooker cloth....in the UK, with 5 oz Crystalate
balls on much heavier cloth, I had some BIG adjustments to make.

The most satisfying snooker session I’ve ever had was on a near perfect 5x10 with
Granito carom cloth....Vitalite type balls...everything happened like I picture it.
...’course, my appreciation may be influenced by the fact I did really well financially...:)

Anyway, it’s always nice to have a more educated view....thanx

pt....high school dropout

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Poolmanis has brought to our attention a very important piece of the pool puzzle we all need to work to improve upon if we wish to become strong well rounded players.
Thank you.

Tom

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Back in the late 70s....betting on shots with a man who reached the top 32 in the WPBSA
....told him I would bet on making 7 out of 10 in-offs..black spot from the side pocket...
...with one hand
Went double or nothing on 8 out of 10
Went double or nothing on 9 out 10

Offered to do it 10 out of 10...double or nothing....
..he says ‘Now I know I can’t win...for my $80,...tell me why you’re gonna make it every time.”
He was a good guy...so I asked him “Why do you think the black spot is 12.75 inches
from the top rail?...he didn’t know....said “Why wouldn’t it be 12 inches?”....
...”because it’s the red spot from English billiards....from the side or top corner pocket...
...it’s a perfect half-ball in-off....just hit it slightly high ball...medium speed.”
He said “I’m never going to forget that.”

Maybe for you,but not me........I’ve never visualized or even tried to do so a 1/2 ball hit cause it doesn’t fit in my pool world. It may exist in yours tho and if that method works for you great, don’t assume though it works for everybody.

Remember it’s all in your head and not necessarily in everybodies head.

Oh.......what’s medium speed?

Last edited: