SAN JOSE DICK aka SJDinPhx

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
I haven’t been on AZB for several years, but haven’t seen anything on San Jose Dick, Dick McMorran. He passed away a couple years ago. Played in San Jose in his younger years, but lived in Phx area. He put hustling/playing on back burner to raise his family. Started playing again around the Valley. Lots of older players should have stories about him. Mine is the trip he took me on to Vegas when I was a teenager (mom said ok). It was a hell of a trip which I will always remember. Amazing memory. Rest In Peace my friend.

Jack

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven’t been on AZB for several years, but haven’t seen anything on San Jose Dick, Dick McMorran. He passed away a couple years ago. Played in San Jose in his younger years, but lived in Phx area. He put hustling/playing on back burner to raise his family. Started playing again around the Valley. Lots of older players should have stories about him. Mine is the trip he took me on to Vegas when I was a teenager (mom said ok). It was a hell of a trip which I will always remember. Amazing memory. Rest In Peace my friend.

Jack

I'm not sure if you are a member of onepocket.org but he was a very prolific poster on there under the same pseudonym.
You can search his handle in there and see all of his posts. He had a lot to say.

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
I'm not sure if you are a member of onepocket.org but he was a very prolific poster on there under the same pseudonym.
You can search his handle in there and see all of his posts. He had a lot to say.

Yes, I played one pocket with him. We stayed in contact when he started playing again. He played with a cue I built for him, respected and loved him. He was a good role model, quit pool to raise a family. He shared his knowledge freely. Hope you got to see him play or got the privilege to play with him.

Jack

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member

Jack

Hi Jack. Dick spoke very highly of you and was proud of the cue you built him. Hope you are well. I did capture a couple hours of Dick and his stories which are put on YouTube. He was a dear friend of mine and I am glad to have known him. We went on a couple road trips together. They don't make them like him anymore. :)

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Hi Jack. Dick spoke very highly of you and was proud of the cue you built him. Hope you are well. I did capture a couple hours of Dick and his stories which are put on YouTube. He was a dear friend of mine and I am glad to have known him. We went on a couple road trips together. They don't make them like him anymore. :)

Feeling pretty good lately, playing again, didn’t do too bad in local tournament with 98 players in nw MT this past weekend, placed 5th. Building cues again. Thank you. Dick is a nominee for the Arizona Billiards Hall of Fame FYI, might want to vote for him.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Feeling pretty good lately, playing again, didn’t do too bad in local tournament with 98 players in nw MT this past weekend, placed 5th. Building cues again. Thank you. Dick is a nominee for the Arizona Billiards Hall of Fame FYI, might want to vote for him.

Jack,
Glad to hear you are “back in action” again. Kinda like Paul Newman.
I know how good you hit the balls, and also how well your cues hit.
Good all around.
Will Prout

Reactions: bbb

L.S. Dennis

I remember seeing him only once at Cochrans in SF back in the early 60’s playing someone known at the time as ‘Hayward Blackie, They had been playing for several hours by the time I arrived and I’m not sure how long the game went for.

His name was well known in the Bay Area in those years, alone with George Williams Sr and Dee Hulse.

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I definitely enjoyed reading what he posted on both forums. Some of the easily-offended ladies got butthurt due to his straightforward style of conversation & lack of tolerance for BS. 😁

Keith