Schon ferrules

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I don't know to be certain, but the one I had was melamine. It seemed to be exactly like the Aegis I had at that time. Back then there were a few more melamines than are available today, so it's hard to say it was definitely Aegis. If I was trying to replace one today and wanted it to be a match, I'd use AegisII.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I have had a couple go thru my hands from around then,and as best I remember it was a slightly better version of Ivorine 3 than what McDermott was using in the same time frame. Evan told me one time that it was made specifically for him,but never said what it was called.

From doing repairs on it,the stuff Schon had looked nicer even on brand new shafts,and especially when polished up after a fresh tip,and was leaps and bounds easier to clean up due to the pores in the McD stuff,and looked nicer when done.

I never saw an unmodded Schon with a cracked ferrule either.

Good luck finding out whatever it was,I'd sure like to have a stick of it myself.

If you are looking to replicate the hit or cosmetics,the Mason Micarta is awful nice ;).

They've been using Ivorine 4 for about 10 years now.Tommy D.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I have had a couple go thru my hands from around then,and as best I remember it was a slightly better version of Ivorine 3 than what McDermott was using in the same time frame. Evan told me one time that it was made specifically for him,but never said what it was called.

From doing repairs on it,the stuff Schon had looked nicer even on brand new shafts,and especially when polished up after a fresh tip,and was leaps and bounds easier to clean up due to the pores in the McD stuff,and looked nicer when done.

I never saw an unmodded Schon with a cracked ferrule either.

Good luck finding out whatever it was,I'd sure like to have a stick of it myself.

If you are looking to replicate the hit or cosmetics,the Mason Micarta is awful nice ;).

They've been using Ivorine 4 for about 10 years now.Tommy D.

I thought the Schon ferrules of the 90's had ferrules closer to the GE micarta ( not Westinghouse ).
They looked off-white . I still have one here I bought years ago.
The original batch of Mason Micarta is the closest one to it , I think.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I thought the Schon ferrules of the 90's had ferrules closer to the GE micarta ( not Westinghouse ).
They looked off-white . I still have one here I bought years ago.
The original batch of Mason Micarta is the closest one to it , I think.

Maybe the earlier 90s? I had one from the later 90s & it was a white melamine. Wasn't as clean as ivorine so I assumed it was aegis.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Maybe the earlier 90s? I had one from the later 90s & it was a white melamine. Wasn't as clean as ivorine so I assumed it was aegis.

Maybe and they might have been through the mid 90's.

The yellowish kind was pretty sporty.
Not very hard, relatively light and had a good tone.
Did not ping like Aegis or melamine.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Schon quit using Micarta in early 90s if memory serves me right and they used a White Linen based material after that. Most people on higher end cues were using Porpers white linen ferrule material in the 90s until he could not longer get it made in the earlier higher quality. It got so bad with all brands of melamine that many quit using it. But cleaner material is now back but it is still not as good as the really early stuff. If it looked a little translucent it was most likely Porper material and if it looked more like a little like white chalk then it was most likely stuff they had made themselves.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
These are the closest material to the old Schon micarta ( not Westinghouse ) I have come across .
I just hate making ferrules from blocks though.

Attachments

• micarta.jpg
    micarta.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 318

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My knickle for the thread. Atlas offered what they called Schon Micarta once but it was machined wrong and all of it split side ways.
Translucent Melamine was also offered by them, a lot of makers were using it. The only two I know of who weren't using it was Joss and Scruggs. Scruggs was using the original grayish cast Aegis. Porper started offering thermoset ferrules that he intended for break ferrules. Sources for good playing ferrules were drying up and some started using Porpers for playing. It didn't play that good but stayed clean. Melamine had changed, it was more white now and if you sanded the ferrule with black paper, the pits retained the black dust so super glue was suggested before final sanding.
The hunt for good playing ferrule is a continuous search.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My knickle for the thread. Atlas offered what they called Schon Micarta once but it was machined wrong and all of it split side ways.
Translucent Melamine was also offered by them, a lot of makers were using it. The only two I know of who weren't using it was Joss and Scruggs. Scruggs was using the original grayish cast Aegis. Porper started offering thermoset ferrules that he intended for break ferrules. Sources for good playing ferrules were drying up and some started using Porpers for playing. It didn't play that good but stayed clean. Melamine had changed, it was more white now and if you sanded the ferrule with black paper, the pits retained the black dust so super glue was suggested before final sanding.

Interesting. Before Ryan left Muellers, I bought some of the Porpers ferrules. It took a little waiting because of some issues with the machinery but the folks at Muellers contacted me as soon as they were able to get everything up and running. The ferrules play pretty well but they are definitely not like the Aegis ferrules I was used to with Joss cues in the early 90's. I had one split on me due to my own mistake, but apart from that I've had no issues. At this point there have been so many materials I've lost touch with what plays like what anymore. That's probably why I personally still play with ivory. At least I know it's going to be consistent.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. Before Ryan left Muellers, I bought some of the Porpers ferrules. It took a little waiting because of some issues with the machinery but the folks at Muellers contacted me as soon as they were able to get everything up and running. The ferrules play pretty well but they are definitely not like the Aegis ferrules I was used to with Joss cues in the early 90's. I had one split on me due to my own mistake, but apart from that I've had no issues. At this point there have been so many materials I've lost touch with what plays like what anymore. That's probably why I personally still play with ivory. At least I know it's going to be consistent.

The real down side to ivory is, because of legalities, and other characteristics, it is and will continue to be a thing of the past. It gets discouraging. I get discouraged, but I hope and search.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I remember that stuff. That was after the Schon yellow micarta and it was drilled out of 1 inch thick blocks and the whole front half of the ferrules would just pop off. But you could buy 5/8 inch sheet and cut long strips to make ferrules and those held up. Schon did use that stuff for a time before switching to melamine.