How to check if your ferrule is loose

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So recently i bought a 2nd hand tad and it plays fine , until a few days ago i noticed a high pitched ping sound from the shaft, i've had the tip changed but the ping was still there, i am now suspecting that it may be a loose ferrule, but how do you check a CAPPED ferrule if the glue inside has been loosened?

it is not a weight bolt issue, because tad does not use a weight bolt system, i have also tried the 2nd shaft on the butt and it is fine.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
So recently i bought a 2nd hand tad and it plays fine , until a few days ago i noticed a high pitched ping sound from the shaft, i've had the tip changed but the ping was still there, i am now suspecting that it may be a loose ferrule, but how do you check a CAPPED ferrule if the glue inside has been loosened?

it is not a weight bolt issue, because tad does not use a weight bolt system, i have also tried the 2nd shaft on the butt and it is fine.

The simple answer is twist and pull. If there is a gap between the ferrule and shaft, that is a problem. If the ferrule twists a little bit to the left then a little bit to the right, that is a problem.

But you can often tell by the sound, as you have heard.

My 2 cents,
Gary