John Schmidt High Run Video

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
John has decided to upload his 366 ball run with commentary by him and Bill Maropulos for free. This is the highest straight pool run ever captured on video.

Here's what he says on Facebook:
"I thought I'd put this out there for players to watch and possibly help your game. This was 2010 and if I'm not mistaken is still the highest run ever captured on film. Bill Maropulos and I do the VoiceOver. I meant to sell the DVDs of this run but I think it's better if I put it out for free for many reasons."

I know John is available for lessons. If interested contact him on facebook or contact me or Bill and we will put you in touch with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrPrRvPOUkA

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Wow this is really cool. Has John considered uploading his other videos on something like Vimeo to sell?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
$600 entry. Travel from the west coast. Hotel for about 5 days. You do the math.

Mika final 8 - $1000.
I finished tied for fifth in both the SBE one pocket and the US Open 14.1. I thought I might actually make money, since airfare was free (points), but it turned out that I lost $200 overall. Didn't Thorsten finish out of the top 12 in the US Open?

Without sponsorship, pool remains an expensive hobby for the vast majority of participants.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Didn't Thorsten finish out of the top 12 in the US Open? ...

Hohmann was one of the 12 players making it through the Group Stage, but then lost his round-of-16 match to Immonen. So he finished 9th-12th = $zero.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for this, Dennis. Marvelous stream-of-consciousness run, so to speak.

Johnny boy ran slightly over 26 racks therein, and it's far from improbable that he one day goes 12 1/2 racks beyond that for a new world record (witnessed of course by Bill). Then let the ball-cleaning flame-throwing lamentably begin anew.

As devoted to excellence as you are, Dennis I'm certain you'll eventually strip out the music audio from the higher-res original of this 366 and insert the terrifically informative John & Bill commentary onto a copy of it after extracting the commentary audio from this thread's video. What a hugely instructive winner and visual delight such a higher-res (as alluded to in your Youtube comments) would/will be someday.

Again thanks greatly for posting this unique video, and certainly thanks to John for generously wanting it to be so widely and freely available now.

Arnaldo.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, thank you very much for this share. I'm going through it right now and as a beginner, this is full of great information and I'm only 30 minutes in.

Now onto a question regarding something that John Schmidt said reading the table. He is playing on a 9ft Brunswick Metro with 5 inch pockets. He says that this setup is perfect for this game, because it usually yields high runs. But I ask, is this game better played on pockets that big? I'm no expert on the subject and I'll take his word for it as he is known to be a terrific straight pool player and I'd imagine he has played on tons of different pocket sizes, but what do you guys think?

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
First of all, thank you very much for this share. I'm going through it right now and as a beginner, this is full of great information and I'm only 30 minutes in.

Now onto a question regarding something that John Schmidt said reading the table. He is playing on a 9ft Brunswick Metro with 5 inch pockets. He says that this setup is perfect for this game, because it usually yields high runs. But I ask, is this game better played on pockets that big? I'm no expert on the subject and I'll take his word for it as he is known to be a terrific straight pool player and I'd imagine he has played on tons of different pocket sizes, but what do you guys think?

The last 6 or 7 World Tournaments have been played on Brunswck tables with 5 inch pockets. The US Open that just ended last weekend was played on Brunswicks with 5 inch pockets (only 2 runs over 100) however Shane did run 183 in practice. In the 1960's when straight Pool was at its high, all the tournaments were played mostly on Brunswicks with 5 inch pockets. Willie Mosconi was sponsered by Brunswick. His run of 526 was done on an 8 foot table with 5.25 inch pockets. So I guess you can say that the majority of competive straight pool has been on 5 inch pocket tables.

-Bill

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for this!! I've got it downloaded and have watched about half so far. I really like how he's hitting almost everything pocket speed.

MalibuMike

Banned
Awesome!

By far the best straight pool player of All-Time!

See our So. Cal Straight Pool Group on this link!

Attachments

• js.jpg
    js.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 627
  • js2.jpg
    js2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 640

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Then let the ball-cleaning flame-throwing lamentably begin anew.

As devoted to excellence as you are, Dennis I'm certain you'll eventually strip out the music audio from the higher-res original of this 366 and insert the terrifically informative John & Bill commentary onto a copy of it after extracting the commentary audio from this thread's video. What a hugely instructive winner and visual delight such a higher-res (as alluded to in your Youtube comments) would/will be someday.

Arnaldo.

Arnaldo: I do not have the know how to do that and I do not have the time to learn.

The version I have without the commentary might be just a little better visually but not much.

I don't know how to strip the audio out of the commentary version. If I did, I could probably add it to the other version like I did when I added Harriman's commentary to his 351 video.

Attachments

• 2016-04-29.jpg
    2016-04-29.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
How long would you be willing to put up with John and Thorsten?
I have to figure let them go at it for 6-8 hours a day each after putting on new cloth
and with new balls it is only a matter of time before they break the record.

To have a 500+ on video, heck I would throw in a couple hundred to help make that happen.

gr. Dave

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
OK so my next pool table will not be a diamond after all

I really am in love with this metro

I remember seeing it so many times on ESPN matches while growing up in the late 90s/early 2000s

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Among the many worthwhile takeaways from this 366 video is the unmistakable fact that John has truly superb communication skills. A born teacher, enthusiastically conveying what the game and its pleasures mean to him (and can mean for any similarly devoted player).

What a rare and uncommonly generous asset he is to our beloved sport and 14.1 in particular.

Arnaldo

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like the de-facto table for most 14-1 competition is the Diamond Pro-Am. This has 4.5" pockets with deep shelves. Watching players trying to qualify at DCC for the 14-1 finals shows how difficult it is to go long on this table. Owning one myself, I cannot fathom someone running 250+ on this table.

That being said, I have so much respect for the players who excell in this game. With the exception of non-alternating break rotation games, where else can you be parked in your chair for who knows how long while your opponent rolls along? The constant mental focus required in this game when at the table simply validates the names of the players who are always still playing at the end of these tournaments.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member

After practicing straight pool on my 9 foot home table with 4 1/2 inch pockets for a few months lately, I can tell you that way too many shots rattle out of the pockets for my liking.

I think that I recall John saying once that he had around a 200 ball run on something like a 4 1/2 inch Diamond and that he felt that was a bigger accomplishment than his 400 ball run.

To me, straight pool is about running as large a number of balls as possible, so I tend to agree that really tight pockets takes away from the thrill of the game.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two questions for Dennis or Marop:

Is that Metro an 8-footer or 9-footer?

What were the balls polished with before the commencement of play?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Arnaldo

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
Two questions for Dennis or Marop:

Is that Metro an 8-footer or 9-footer?

What were the balls polished with before the commencement of play?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Arnaldo

9 foot table, in fact its the same table that Corey Deuel won the Bicycle Club tournament with a few years back. The balls are always polished with Aramith Ball cleaner in a Ballstar ball polisher.