Gambling Advice.

aquaurchin99

Let's Make A Deal
Silver Member
This might have been discussed somewhere but I just need a little advice. I've been racing a friend of mine even for a while. Usually we end up evening it out but last night I ended going up over $200 on him. He keeps wanting to up the money cause he's down. Like 5 for $50 and stuff. We started the day out 5 for $5. He is all like "I'm the one who's down I should get to increase the bet". Now he's asking for a spot and stuff. He didn't expect to lose that much so he didn't pay me either.

Not really sure how all this works. Should he have to pay me before we race again? The last time I was up months ago we ended up evening out cause he continually forced me to increase what we were playing for. We did a 5 for $100 or something and he broke even. I don't want to race for such high amounts because obviously he'll win eventually and just win it all back at once. That's pretty stupid.

Didn't mean to write so much, just need a bit of advice. I mean he is my friend so I don't want to be a complete asshole, but I can't just let myself get pushed around by him.

SMG

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gambling with friends can be a little awkward.

The rule of thumb though is always post the money first, assuring that it is there. There have been a few horror stories on here about people running out or not paying up bets.

Since he is your friend just explain to him that you want money upfront? Or you can order a hit on his family.

ed2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just play for fun

why even gamble if your guys are going to let the other one off.crap just play for fun that all your guys are going to end up doing anyways.oh i know betting something will make your guys try harder.---RIGHT--- (even if you know you can get out of the bet by upping it or doubling up) if either one of you knows they can just can keep getting the game to where you are even why even gamble makes no sense. just play for fun.lol ... or start the game with a bet and make it plane that what your guys are going to play for and keep it there.not letting the other one out with upping or doubling it.. to get even..then it might make your guys play harder knowing you cant get even buy adjusting the bet or game..but keep it at a freindly bet since your guys are friends...or go old school and go for blood..lol

Last edited:

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Tell him too post up before I have friend who I play a lot we used too play even now I give weight but I get him most time even when he gets down a lot ill say just do half but he won't he's got too much pride maybe u guys don't wanna gamble not worth losing a pool buddy over

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I go with the other post that said, gambling and friends don't belong in the same sentence. We, there are 4 of us that always play scotch double one pocket we all play about the same. We play $5 a game, if the game gets to lopsided we change partners to even it up. The idea when playing with friends is to have fun, not make money. The money is just a way to keep you from trying crazy shots.
I f I were in your shoes I would let your friend off the hook, but tell him no more will you play him for money.---Smitty

Bassmaster

Gone Fishin
Silver Member
I gamble with my good friend all the time...but we just keep it friendly 5/10 and last set usually 5/20 don't go past that amount... Posting up with your friend is a non issue ...thats for non friends strangers...etc set the guidelines first prior to gambling and stick to them.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
You cannot play for money with a friend.
You can play with a friend OR you can play for money, not both at the same time.

You can be friends off the table with him just fine but once you are playing for money
that ends.
So you have to decide if you were playing with a friend (in which case forget about the money)
or if you were playing for money (in which case it doesn't matter who he is).

For me it would no problem, it's not much different then playing a friend in a tournament
with prize money on the line. We might be friends (off table) but I will still try my hardest to win that money.

gr. Dave

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play for table time or food/drinks.

There is no such thing as gambling with a friend when it comes to winning and losing. It's business. If you value your friendship, I'd say fuggedaboutit. :wink:

Many moons ago, we used to have nightly poker games in my basement. We were all members of the Tribal Nation of Pool, meaning we were friends from our neighborhood pool room. Sometimes we'd let "strangers" or a "friend of a friend" in the game, but we were a wee bit leery of card mechanics and the like.

When it comes to gambling, there is always going to a faction who needs to cheat to win, sad to say. :(

These weekly card games began to get heavy with the bets, and by the end of the night -- or I should say the next morning -- those who were left would raise the stakes to pot limit. I saw my friend Cab Driver Pete lose his cab rental money so many times. It was obvious that he was a gambling addict, and he had no control. Our friend Rudd would lose his rent money, and he had children and a wife to worry about.

Eventually, I put a stop to the high stakes poker games at my home. Yes, everything is funny when you're winning that big money, but not when it comes to seeing my friends go through severe financial hardships affecting the quality of their lives.

We began playing poker tournaments that was $10 for 100 chips. It was pot limit. At the end of the tournament, somebody would win everybody's $10. Nobody gets hurt. We would play three and four poker tournaments like this, pot limit with the 100 chips, but with only $10 risked for each tournament. We all got our poker gambling high and still had fun without losing a fortune. If you won each tournament, you could pocket a nice chunk of change. There were a lot of splits between 1st and 2nd place, just so we could start a new tournament. LOL

Don't bet with your friend, and if you do, make it something friendly, like food, table time, or drinks.

Last edited:

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play for table time or food/drinks.

There is no such thing as gambling with a friend when it comes to winning and losing. It's business. If you value your friendship, I'd say fuggedaboutit. :wink:

I like this advice. I recently had the EXACT same thing happen to me with a friend. We started playing races to 9 for 20. He is much better than me, so I had a bit of weight. Well, I ended up being "better" at holding my alcohol that night, and I started off winning. He kept doubling it, thinking he would get even, which is honestly what I wanted. I don't really want to win his money, as I suspect you don't either,, I just want to give myself a reason to focus. Anyway, I ended up about 320 dollars that night. I felt horrible. He didn't have the money and offered to pay me next time we met,, when I did see him he offered money right away. I declined it, and told him that it got a little hand and he really appreciated it. We are still good friends and still play races for 20, we just don't go crazy and let it get out of hand.

My vote is to fuggedaboutit and go back to having fun with cheap sets.

Ih82luz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play $5/ game with friends. After each game the loser pays.

When one knows it's not their night, the pool usually ends.

Other times, I'll invite 8 guys over for scotch doubles. Each person puts in $25, and we do a blind draw. The brackets are set up for a double elimination, and winner gets 65%, second place gets 35%. I'll cook some chili, pulled pork, etc, and ask each person to bring a side dish. We all have fun, the wives do too. And nobody feels too bad if they don't get into the cash.

aquaurchin99

Let's Make A Deal
Silver Member
It's no as bad as it sounds. I race a lot of my friends around here 5 for $5 and other small stuff like that. It's usually just to get us to play more seriously. And it works. Generally we end up evening out, or we just stop when we're up/down too much. And generally we pay it when we stop racing. It's just this guy started losing the first couple sets and when he was down $20 started increasing the bet trying to win it back. He'd lose a couple races, then win one or two, and then lose some more. He is now down $230. I told him while we were racing that we could stop whenever he wanted, but he kept asking to race again and raise the bet. It's not like he's my best friend or anything, that would be different. He's just more of a guy I shoot with once in a while. He's paid me straight before when he's lost like 5 bucks, but this is a little bit more than that.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
It's no as bad as it sounds. I race a lot of my friends around here 5 for $5 and other small stuff like that. It's usually just to get us to play more seriously. And it works. Generally we end up evening out, or we just stop when we're up/down too much. And generally we pay it when we stop racing. It's just this guy started losing the first couple sets and when he was down $20 started increasing the bet trying to win it back. He'd lose a couple races, then win one or two, and then lose some more. He is now down $230. I told him while we were racing that we could stop whenever he wanted, but he kept asking to race again and raise the bet. It's not like he's my best friend or anything, that would be different. He's just more of a guy I shoot with once in a while. He's paid me straight before when he's lost like 5 bucks, but this is a little bit more than that.

So you're saying the further he gets in the hole, the faster he digs.

That's a gambling problem. Don't gamble with problem gamblers.

-Andrew

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
An honorable gambler pays his debts, period. Post before the set and pay after, there are no friends in gambling, remember that.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a difference between good friends, and good action. They're often not the same. I'm not sure the person you're gambling with is either. In this case you may have to decide which is more important to you. I have friends that I wouldn't lend money to. My good friends that I'd lend money to would never ask me for it. Part of a gamble is calculating odds of actually getting paid. Good action means the odds are high if/when you win.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

i agree with the above posters who advised NOT to gamble with friends or be sure its cheap and fun
in your case it wasnt a close friend
you got stiffed
he owes you the money
now it up to you to decide
what you are going to do about it
jmho
icbw