Tip from a bankpool player...

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks John! Feel a little dumb for not having noticed this myself--- maybe not dumb but more like a Lemming. Wonder what other misconceptions I am laboring under. I know a DVD I have to get.

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An important consideration is what occurs at the moment of impact.

For example: CB OB may be 5/6 diamonds apart. OB NEAR END RAIL

So. a very low tip placement can be used for executing this shot if holding up the OB is in order.

The draw can turn into slide. It is the sliding CB that creates the most grab on the OB. What is key is that there was not a backward spinning CB at impact but the draw element was key in execution.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

scott1313

Registered
Wow. I have played a ton of one pocket and bank pool over 30 years and always used draw to shorten a bank. Like others said, it must be because I always hit those shots harder. Thanks for the information John, I will put that in my memory bank for future use.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At first I thought John was being facetious, because what he wrote in the first post is such common knowledge. Well at least I thought it was:)

<==== C player feels proud he actually knew something:)

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are the kinds of things that make the game so great.

John, the other post you say in essence you don't need to hit firm to shorten the angle. I take that you mean its not the only way. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as origins of the "myth" that low cuing shortens the OB angle. My guess it comes from most of our early experiences of no stroke and trying to get draw. I'll speak for myself but think its true for most, in the early stages. We found or thought we found, we needed a firm hit on the CB to get it to draw. Take that info to a bank game and the OB shortened with draw/firm hit. What was really happening is the angle shortened because it was hit 100mph with our draw stroke.

John Brumback

Silver Member
These are the kinds of things that make the game so great.

John, the other post you say in essence you don't need to hit firm to shorten the angle. I take that you mean its not the only way. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as origins of the "myth" that low cuing shortens the OB angle. My guess it comes from most of our early experiences of no stroke and trying to get draw. I'll speak for myself but think its true for most, in the early stages. We found or thought we found, we needed a firm hit on the CB to get it to draw. Take that info to a bank game and the OB shortened with draw/firm hit. What was really happening is the angle shortened because it was hit 100mph with our draw stroke.

Yes,you can shorten bank shots while shooting easy.You do not have to shoot hard to hold or shorten a bank shot. Thanks, John B.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Thank you for sharing more great info John.
One thing I have noticed is when I use outside it seems like my banks go in effortlessly, maybe I hit them too thick, I am not sure, but the outside seems to also send the Q ball into a pocket many times too. Here is some food for thought. On a crossover bank does outside english become inside english and inside become outside????:confused::confused::grin::grin:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Or just buy his DVD.
One way to support people who go out of their way to help the rest of us.

Best advice thus far. Tin-cup handouts are good, but there's nothing like being on a payroll (i.e. having the entire DVD's worth of info).

-Sean

John Brumback

Silver Member
Thank you for sharing more great info John.
One thing I have noticed is when I use outside it seems like my banks go in effortlessly, maybe I hit them too thick, I am not sure, but the outside seems to also send the Q ball into a pocket many times too. Here is some food for thought. On a crossover bank does outside english become inside english and inside become outside????:confused::confused::grin::grin:

Yes,good work. John B.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok,

I just set up a shot that went longer with high on the CB than it did with draw. I'll try to get a video of it later today and post it. Note, I was in full agreement with Brumback before, now I'm not so sure after this shot. Will post video later, so you guys can see and we can discuss what is going on. Shot was with OB 1 ball away from the rail, and I tried to use the same firm speed on both the draw and follow shot.

JT Flipper

Registered
low will make a bank shot take a whole lot more english, John is correct in his post for sure. If you won't to throw a lot of english on a bank shot cue it low. There are some that will argue that i am wrong, but i am convinced i am right with over 50 years experience banking balls.