Choosing a new/used table

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. For a few weeks... then on the furniture grade table the bolts are going to start to work a bit loose. The slate is going to slip a bit. The rails are going to shift a hair out of line. Before you know it everything is just a bit off.

With my valley, I have to level it twice a year. Once in the spring when the ice thaws and my garage sinks, and once in the winter when the ground freezes and lifts my garage. It's pretty much bulletproof. It sees more games than 95% of bar tables out there, and does double duty as my garage work bench.

If appearance is your primary concern then a furniture grade might do you, but if you want long lasting consistent performance, commercial is the way to go. Personally I'll never get anything but a one-piece slate table ever again.

I have a furniture grade brunswick that I have had for 15 years and play 3-5 x week, and I don't have any of these problems. It is also a 3 piece slate. I do use a dehumidifier which probably helps. Also, American Heritage tables use glued solid wood working joinery with much less bolts than most tables. Harder to move, but more solid construction. The AH tables I have played on have played well, but I can not vouch for long term stability with them. I do know some people that have them, and they are all happy with them, but none of them are serious players. https://www.americanheritagebilliards.com/heirloom-construction

I watch Craigslist in the Chicago area quite a bit for tables, and I would say that if you are patient, you can find a commercial grade table for around $1000. That may not include the install, but I have seen many gold crown III's for around that price. I rarely see Diamonds near that price though, but unless you really feel the need to have a diamond, you can't really go wrong with a well set up Gold Crown.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are 3 7ft olhausens in my area for under 800 that look pretty nice, but most I'm seeing are 8ft and 9 ft. I could technically shoehorn an 8ft in but with a 7ft I will be 100% clear of all walls. I'm just gonna keep watching listings with cash in hand and be ready to buy when I see the right one.

Don't make the mistake of buying a table that doesn't fit properly. You will regret it every time a shot comes up (which will happen more than you think) where a pole or wall gets in the way. Be patient and the right thing will come along.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went to Peter's billiards the other day to start shopping for a 7ft pool table (due to room size) and I wasnt super excited about anything I saw under 5k. Been looking at used tables from other dealers and finding some ok tables, but I want some opinions. I'm going for straight up best play for the buck. I would like to stay around 1k dollars. A nice looking american heritage 7ft just popped up for 200, would I be better off buying something like that and having high quality rubbers and simonis felt put on that vs buying say a decent used brunswick or connely or something? My brother snagged a used diamond 7ft for 2k but I'm not likely to find something like that, been watching local online sales awhile. I certainly dont read too much good stuff about playability of tables like AH or "furniture tables" along those lines but would top of the line components on it give me a table that plays like a high end one? Any table mechanics want to weigh in? Thanks in advance

Is there a Peters Billiards in Oregon?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stranger things have happened but, I wouldn't hold my breath and wait on a quality table that plays well for anywhere near a grand.

Also, it depends on what you think "plays right" means to you.

Some are ok with home tables, valleys etc...etc while others aren't.

Bottom line: any table is better than no table.

Get the best table you can afford. It will be with you a long time.

Jeff

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I moved out to minnesota couple years ago, about 50 minutes west of Minneapolis, Peter's is a nice place

Around the Metro, Tim Tonjum would be the guy. If you let him know what you want, he can probably get it for less and mark it up. This offsets what he has to charge for travel and labor. His business has really grown, and he might not do this anymore, but I would try him first.
As SBC states above, Ridgeback rails and the right cloth are great on a valley. It will bank a little different, but otherwise play very much like a diamond box. You can usually get one of these from John Stich, at MPA. Might be hit or miss, depending on his tournament schedule.
Yeah, Peters is a cool place. I would not be afraid of any of their older tables. The ones they built themselves. Not sure when they stopped, 15 years ago? Good luck:smile:

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well thanks for the input. I made up my mind in the kind of table I was going to start watching for. I've been leaving local marketplace pages open and refreshing them as often as I could and last night i scored. Some one posted an 8ft olhausen oak Sheraton with 6 decent house cues and all the accesories for FREE. found the ad 3 minutes after it was posted and some one had already beat me to it but it was first come first serve and I said I could head out immediately and was only 35 minutes away so they told me to come get it. Loaded up the truck and at 7pm headed out into the night. My wonderful wife helped me dismantle it and in 45 minutes time had it loaded up and on our way. Getting quotes to have it refelted with 860hr and might upgrade the cushions if it dosent already have the accufast. Was in too much of a hurry didnt even look the table over just immediately started taking it apart so I could get out of the peoples hair. Will post some pics when I get it set up proper!