Million Dollar Challenge Documentary

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As has been explained, throughout this thread, any videos of Earl's amazing million dollar run, are only going to be available through CJ Wiley..And they are not likely ever going to be free, as he was the sole promoter of the costly event!..Can't say that I blame him, for wanting to recoup some of his outlay! :rolleyes:

you're rolling eyes? reading comprehension much?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Go to the menu. It's on extra clips. #1

I discovered last night that I did still have access to the ppv. So I looked again for a menu and extra clips. Not there. So I have to agree with terryhanna that the video of the games themselves (beyond what I mentioned in post #68) must appear on the DVD but not on the ppv.

Which leads me to ask again -- would you please re-watch Games 7, 8, 9, and 11 on the DVD and give us a game-by-game accounting. It can't take long, as it was only Earl shooting. :)

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry AtLarge -- I'm an idiot. Maybe you can still get the answers you're looking for.

When watching the older 9 ball matches, I'm always amused at the rate that the 9 ball would go in on the break. It's hard to believe that the players and referees didn't understand the importance of having those balls behind the nine tight but we live and learn I guess.

I could see how the insurance company would be skeptical of this feat with how many 9's Earl made on the break.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Go to thread #66 Ronnie O'sullivan ain't got nothin' on him

Enjoy what Bob Jewett dug up for us all....I'm not tootin' my own horn, just want you youngsters to know what can and did happen. My dad passed away that weekend. I got inspired.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure I was at a tournament that Jim Rempe ran 11 racks in, but then again??????
Something makes me want to say it was the Clyde Childress Memorial in Erlanger Ky.
I can't remember what I had for breakfast though.lol

Last edited:

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apolgies for bringing this old thread to life but

I just watched the documentary and the video of last racks and cannot quite get my head around this.

The video is 20 minutes long and covers the continuous footage of 6 racks (including the last rack where Earl missed a cross-corner on the one thus ending his 11-rack run). Therefore, these must be racks 7-12.

The video does not show who racked the balls in the game #7 (one can just see Earl breaking the balls and hear the crowd exploding at the 9 going on the break and someone saying this is the fourth game in the match, and a second game in a row, that the 9 found a pocket on the break).

Then one can clearly see Earl racking for himself (after ignoring Jay's warning that he cannot do that) in the game #8 and sinking the 9 on the break).

Game #9. Jay racks the balls. Earl pots three balls on the break and proceeds to run out.

Game #10. Jay really gives a lot of time and attention to the rack. Earl sinks two balls on the break and ends up with a thin cut on the one in the side (which would result in hitting the two with no guaranteed position) or a difficult cut-back 1-9 combo to the corner. Earl opts for the latter and makes the combo!

A celebration follows. When everyone regains their senses, Earl comes back to the table for the rack #11. The video does not show who racked the balls in that game but I assume it was Jay as Earl was busy celebrating what was (and still is) an incredible feat. Based on his demeanor, Earl did not seem to realise that he needed that rack to be able to cash in $1m. Three balls go down on the break and Earl runs an easy rack for the cash!

So it looks like Jay has taken over racking the balls in the game #9 only (given that Jay was adamant in an interview that Earl never made the 9 on the break when he was racking which would rule out racks 6 and 7). This would have violated the terms of the insurance contract requiring an independent racker for the last 5 games of the run. Surely, all of the 13 lawyers representing the insurer would not have overlooked this, would they ? I must be missing something, just not quite sure what it is...

Reviewing other threads on the topic does not seem to shed any further light on this so maybe this is the one for CJ to clarify if he has time and desire to do so.

NB. Earl did pot the 9 on the break 5 times in the first 8 racks when he allegedly was racking for himself. No wonder the insurer got sceptical about this achievement :)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just watched the documentary and the video of last racks and cannot quite get my head around this.

The video is 20 minutes long and covers the continuous footage of 6 racks (including the last rack where Earl missed a cross-corner on the one thus ending his 11-rack run). Therefore, these must be racks 7-12.

The video does not show who racked the balls in the game #7 (one can just see Earl breaking the balls and hear the crowd exploding at the 9 going on the break and someone saying this is the fourth game in the match, and a second game in a row, that the 9 found a pocket on the break).

Then one can clearly see Earl racking for himself (after ignoring Jay's warning that he cannot do that) in the game #8 and sinking the 9 on the break).

Game #9. Jay racks the balls. Earl pots three balls on the break and proceeds to run out.

Game #10. Jay really gives a lot of time and attention to the rack. Earl sinks two balls on the break and ends up with a thin cut on the one in the side (which would result in hitting the two with no guaranteed position) or a difficult cut-back 1-9 combo to the corner. Earl opts for the latter and makes the combo!

A celebration follows. When everyone regains their senses, Earl comes back to the table for the rack #11. The video does not show who racked the balls in that game but I assume it was Jay as Earl was busy celebrating what was (and still is) an incredible feat. Based on his demeanor, Earl did not seem to realise that he needed that rack to be able to cash in $1m. Three balls go down on the break and Earl runs an easy rack for the cash!

So it looks like Jay has taken over racking the balls in the game #9 only (given that Jay was adamant in an interview that Earl never made the 9 on the break when he was racking which would rule out racks 6 and 7). This would have violated the terms of the insurance contract requiring an independent racker for the last 5 games of the run. Surely, all of the 13 lawyers representing the insurer would not have overlooked this, would they ? I must be missing something, just not quite sure what it is...

Reviewing other threads on the topic does not seem to shed any further light on this so maybe this is the one for CJ to clarify if he has time and desire to do so.

NB. Earl did pot the 9 on the break 5 times in the first 8 racks when he allegedly was racking for himself. No wonder the insurer got sceptical about this achievement :)

I'm not sure what you saw on that video but I can tell you this. I racked the balls for games seven through eleven! Earl would not let me rack for game six. He did not make the nine ball on any of my racks!

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure what you saw on that video but I can tell you this. I racked the balls for games seven through eleven! Earl would not let me rack for game six. He did not make the nine ball on any of my racks!

With all due respect Jay this is not what the video shows. Here's a clip of Earl racking for himself in rack #8 (and he makes the 9 on the break in that rack). I hope CJ does not mind me posting this.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YzKPbN2FT6lRhI6StKMPxXcczszHg1oL

Last edited:

Island Drive

Silver Member
With all due respect Jay this is not what the video shows. Here's a clip of Earl racking for himself in rack #8 (and he makes the 9 on the break in that rack). I hope CJ does not mind me posting this.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YzKPbN2FT6lRhI6StKMPxXcczszHg1oL

I might of mentioned this before but JIC.
You see Earl wiping Each ball before each race. The reason was, Brunswick had changed their rubber mixture for the pockets. They were softer rubber than the earlier GCI's. Because of this, they were like pencil erasers, every time the ball hit the back of the pocket, a smudge of rubber developed on the ball. So ....Every rack that Earl racked, he wiped off EVERY ball, to maximize his brake effectiveness.
Nick Mannio, was his opponent....George Breedloves best man at his wedding with Janette Lee. After that was over, Earl broke and ran one more if I remember correctly.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might of mentioned this before but JIC.
You see Earl wiping Each ball before each race. The reason was, Brunswick had changed their rubber mixture for the pockets. They were softer rubber than the earlier GCI's. Because of this, they were like pencil erasers, every time the ball hit the back of the pocket, a smudge of rubber developed on the ball. So ....Every rack that Earl racked, he wiped off EVERY ball, to maximize his brake effectiveness.
Nick Mannio, was his opponent....George Breedloves best man at his wedding with Janette Lee. After that was over, Earl broke and ran one more if I remember correctly.

Great info, Bill, thank you! Earl also said in an interview that he tried to remove any debris from the balls to make them break better. He also washed that towel 10 or so times until it stopped giving off lint. Impressive!

I also attach an article you did for P&B with the coverage of the match (thanks to Bob Jewett for sharing it some time ago). Hope it brings back some memories of the tournament!

Take care.
Terry

P.S. And you are right - Earl did break and run one more rack for the total of 11. This is just incredible!

Attachments

• P&B 1996-June page 66.jpg
    P&B 1996-June page 66.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 309
  • P&B 1996-June page 67.jpg
    P&B 1996-June page 67.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More articles

This is an article from The National Billiard News - Volume 24, Issue 4 - May 1996

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 288
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 294
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 300

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Given that the revenue stream for this is pretty much over, it's too bad the public can't view it online.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yz...MPxXcczszHg1oL

I can't view that video on my computer. All I can tell you is the truth. If you want fake news look elsewhere. Perhaps CJ edited the tape somehow. That I don't know. What I do know is that I racked #7-11 racks. Earl may have grabbed the rack one time and tried to rack again but I stopped him. With all due respect of course. :rolleyes:

Island Drive

Silver Member
I can't view that video on my computer. All I can tell you is the truth. If you want fake news look elsewhere. Perhaps CJ edited the tape somehow. That I don't know. What I do know is that I racked #7-11 racks. Earl may have grabbed the rack one time and tried to rack again but I stopped him. With all due respect of course. :rolleyes:

Jay, wasn't that the rules according to the insurance company. I know they wanted proof (video) of Earl, running ''the last 5 racks '' right?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, wasn't that the rules according to the insurance company. I know they wanted proof (video) of Earl, running ''the last 5 racks '' right?

Yes, that is correct. That is why it was so important that he broke and ran out rack #11. That rack was also recorded and it was key to him getting a settlement on the insurance claim. He was supposed to get a $50,000 annuity for 20 years but they settled with him, giving him a one time settlement in six figures, a very healthy six figures!

Island Drive

Silver Member
Yes, that is correct. That is why it was so important that he broke and ran out rack #11. That rack was also recorded and it was key to him getting a settlement on the insurance claim. He was supposed to get a $50,000 annuity for 20 years but they settled with him, giving him a one time settlement in six figures, a very healthy six figures!

And CJ gave em this....

Sorry for the size of the photo, but it DEFINITELY shows immediate results. lol

Attachments

• LiscottiEarlPCA 002.jpg
    LiscottiEarlPCA 002.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 286