Who will be ready to play the same game with Shane now?

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something interesting about the latest Shane vs Shaw race to 100.

Shane wins 100-91.

Shane TPA .888 340 balls pocketed and 43 errors.

Shaw TPA .918 458 balls pocketed and 41 errors.

Pretty crazy to have a TPA which is 30 points higher than your opponent and lose a race to 100.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Shane wins 100-91.

Pretty crazy to have a TPA which is 30 points higher than your opponent and lose a race to 100.

That all depends on when the errors take place.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Shane wins 100-91.

Damn! 118 more balls pocketed and lost.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
That's why the smart money plays one pocket.

Shaw must have missed a lot of late balls .
Higher TPA, less errors and 118 more freaking balls made and lost.
I'm surprised he didn't make more errors considering Shane plays nasty safes.

And I need a captain obvious GIF for someone. Lord!

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To Jay: You are a good friend for over 50+ years and I respect your knowledge about all Pool things BUT you are a bit blinded about Dennis and his Ten Ball Game with respect to Shane. Dennis is a Better Ball Striker than Shane but NOT a better breaker than Shane. It's just not in his wheelhouse to compete with Shane playing that game. I think you'd have to look to Taiwan or Europe to find a player to beat Shane right now.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw must have missed a lot of late balls .
Higher TPA, less errors and 118 more freaking balls made and lost.
I'm surprised he didn't make more errors considering Shane plays nasty safes.

And I need a captain obvious GIF for someone. Lord!

It does seem odd that he would have handed so many games to Shane. Maybe there were quite a few early combos by Shane. I did not watch this match but would like to see how it played out.

Without scores given it would seem that Shaw ran over Shane.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
It does seem odd that he would have handed so many games to Shane. Maybe there were quite a few early combos by Shane. I did not watch this match but would like to see how it played out.

Without scores given it would seem that Shaw ran over Shane.

That's probably why he and Dennis agreed to no early game wins last week.
The spotted the 10 .
They really played last ball.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may be wrong but I think SVB has never played Filler in any big tournaments before- even though they will definitely tangle in the 2 weeks time at MC.
I think Filler is slight favorite in tournaments/MC but SVB will outplay him in long action matches :grin:

Three (or perhaps two) years ago, a budding, still yet to be known Filler tangled with SVB on the loss side of the International Open (at that time, it was still The US Open).

Filler got the best of it, and even though it was a B side match barely in the money, he of course reacted as if he picked all the numbers of the Mega Millions.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Shane wins 100-91.

I'm guessing the disparity in balls pocketed is because they don't include balls made on the break, and Shane broke more times and made more balls on his break?

If they were counting balls on the break, Shane broke and ran 40% that's 400 balls right there...

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Got a name for this player?

It happened over forty years ago. He was some wealthy guy from Boston who played good 9-Ball. He beat a couple of players and pretty soon all the top guys were heading his way. They wore him out and he disappeared.

It has happened other times as well where someone beat a couple of good players and was ready to take on anyone. Usually they got worn down by a steady stream of top players. Billy Johnson/Wade Crane was an exception. He kept right on beating everybody who went to Atlanta looking for him. He turned out to be one of the best players in the country!

The top players/hustlers were constantly on the lookout for guys who were local world beaters. To them that was a mark. I remember when no one in Ohio could beat Teddy Elias at Straight Pool (except maybe George Rood who Teddy wouldn't play). Teddy put out a call to all comers to come to Toledo. Johnny Ervolino went there and they bet $7,000 on a Race to 200. Johnny gave him the cure.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
To Jay: You are a good friend for over 50+ years and I respect your knowledge about all Pool things BUT you are a bit blinded about Dennis and his Ten Ball Game with respect to Shane. Dennis is a Better Ball Striker than Shane but NOT a better breaker than Shane. It's just not in his wheelhouse to compete with Shane playing that game. I think you'd have to look to Taiwan or Europe to find a player to beat Shane right now.

I agree. Dennis admitted to me that it was a bad game for him. He simply said, "Shane breaks too good." On a super tight table (like the front table at Hard Times), Dennis plays him even and will win matches against him and has. Anything that somehow nullifies Shane's big break gives an edge to Dennis. That's why a game like 14.1 or One Pocket is better suited for him against Shane and he knows it, and so do I.

Now tell me why I could never beat you at One Pocket. I moved good, I shot straight and you still always beat me. I was hard headed though and kept coming back for more. :wink:
You were too smart to play Bank Pool with me. I should have made you play me a set of each, but I doubt you would have gone for it.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Shane wins 100-91.

Something is clearly wrong with those stats. The number of balls pocketed in 191 games of 10-Ball would be more than double what is shown above (a total of 798). It would be 1910 less the balls not pocketed because of short games and less the balls pocketed on fouls (which aren't counted). Balls made on successful breaks are counted in TPAs.

Edit -- and in that match, 10's on the break and early combos and caroms on the 10-ball did not count as game wins, so no balls would be deducted for short games. In fact, the early 10-balls would add to the total.

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something is clearly wrong with those stats. The number of balls pocketed in 191 games of 10-Ball would be more than double what is shown above (a total of 798). It would be 1910 less the balls not pocketed because of short games and less the balls pocketed on fouls (which aren't counted). Balls made on successful breaks are counted in TPAs.

Edit -- and in that match, 10's on the break and early combos and caroms on the 10-ball did not count as game wins, so no balls would be deducted for short games. In fact, the early 10-balls would add to the total.

The stats were stated as cumulative by Renfro in fb but may have been just from the last day.