Any Good Books Coming Out?

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vision is three dimensional.

Abstract
We can see things in three dimensions because the visual system re-constructs the three-dimensional (3D) configurations of objects from their two-dimensional (2D) images projected onto the retinas. The purpose of this paper is to give an overview of the psychological background and recent physiological findings concerning three-dimensional vision. Psychophysical and computational studies have suggested that in the visual system the 3D surface orientation is first estimated independently from individual depth cues—such as binocular disparity, as well as various monocular cues including texture gradients—and then the information from these different depth cues is integrated to construct a generalized representation of the 3D surface geometry. Neurons involved in low-level disparity processing, or the detection of local absolute disparity, were found mainly in the occipital cortex, whereas neurons involved in high-level disparity processing, or the reconstruction of 3D surface orientation through the computation of disparity gradients, were found mainly in the parietal area caudal intraparietal sulcus (CIP). Neurons sensitive to texture gradients, which is one of the major monocular cues, were also found in CIP. The majority of these neurons were sensitive to disparity gradients as well, suggesting their involvement in the computation of 3D surface orientation. In CIP, neurons sensitive to multiple depth cues were widely distributed together with those sensitive to a specific depth cue, suggesting CIP's involvement in the integration of depth information from different sources. In addition, human and monkey imaging studies have indicated convergence of multiple depth cues in CIP. These neurophysiological findings suggest that CIP plays a critical role in 3D vision by constructing a generalized representation of the 3D surface geometry of objects.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Although that was a good diagram you posted on fractional aim lines the other day. Very well done. Just a shame the very first response to it had to mention CTE, and it was from a guy who actually wrote a book on fractional aiming. You'd think he could have just posted about fractional aiming without bringing up CTE. But then again, that's not the aiming forum way of doing things.

Actually I didn't mention CTE in that post. I referenced a shot Stan specifically said was a halfball aim, which matches dead up with PJ's diagram. I referenced that particular shot to show how inaccurate that 1/2 ball line is. It had nothing to do with CTE, but everything to do with fractional aiming.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone want a new book on aiming? Here you go:

The Art of Aiming
by Lou Figueroa

Chapter 1

Develop a PSR that makes the OB go into the pocket and the CB behave the way you expect it to.

Chapter 2

See the ball, make the ball, get position.

Chapter 3

Repeat Chapters 1 and 2.

The End

Lou Figueroa
tank you
berry much

Yes, sir. The shot is "made" in the pre-shot routine. Then you step right into line and fire. I'm not smart enough for ETC. I'll pre-order a copy, Lou.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually I didn't mention CTE in that post. I referenced a shot Stan specifically said was a halfball aim, which matches dead up with PJ's diagram. I referenced that particular shot to show how inaccurate that 1/2 ball line is. It had nothing to do with CTE, but everything to do with fractional aiming.

WOW..........Referenced a CTE video and denies it,lol.

Real question, why not just reference a shot from the famous 10 dollar book?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
And your beliefs would be wrong. This project is not about making money, It's about getting the Truth out about CTE aiming.

I understand that, and I respect Stan's passion for the game and for teaching others what he's learned. However, if he really wants to get the "truth" out there, if he really wants people to benefit from his book, then giving away all the info for free is not a good strategy. Sure, you'll buy a copy of the book, along with many of his friends and other CTE users. But the vast majority of pool players out there that really want to learn CTE will take advantage of the free lessons and not invest $75 or more in a 400 page book.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, sir. The shot is "made" in the pre-shot routine. Then you step right into line and fire. I'm not smart enough for ETC. I'll pre-order a copy, Lou.

Gracias, Matt.

I actually would like to buy a copy, though admittedly, may have to use a third party for obvious reasons :-o

But truthfully, many of us can't remember what they had for dinner last night. So as a practical matter, trying to retain and execute what's in a 400 page instruction manual is beyond impossible.

Lou Figueroa

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marketing Rule #1 - "Know your target audience."

If they don't the difference between a side and an edge, you might have a problem.

-or-

If you're looking for the edge of a baseball, you might be a redneck.

(genuine apologies to Jeff Foxworthy)

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
WOW..........Referenced a CTE video and denies it,lol.

Real question, why not just reference a shot from the famous 10 dollar book?

Lol. Because there are no shots in the book that show a halfball hit that really isn't a halfball hit.

I was specifically referring to a ball sitting on the 1/2 ball line PJ posted. And Stan's video of the halfball shot he sets up is the only example I know of where a player says it is a halfball shot, then describes how to aim it, then shoots it, several times, and all the while it's not a halfball shot. Anybody that sets it up will miss if they shoot it as described. It was a perfect example to prove that the traditional fractional line diagram, the one that PJ posted, is not accurate. Not everything is about CTE. Stan was referencing a halfball fractional aim, incorrectly I might add, and it just happens to coincide with that old school incorrect fractional line diagram.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Vision is three dimensional.

Abstract
We can see things in three dimensions because the visual system re-constructs the three-dimensional (3D) configurations of objects from their two-dimensional (2D) images projected onto the retinas. The purpose of this paper is to give an overview of the psychological background and recent physiological findings concerning three-dimensional vision. Psychophysical and computational studies have suggested that in the visual system the 3D surface orientation is first estimated independently from individual depth cues—such as binocular disparity, as well as various monocular cues including texture gradients—and then the information from these different depth cues is integrated to construct a generalized representation of the 3D surface geometry. Neurons involved in low-level disparity processing, or the detection of local absolute disparity, were found mainly in the occipital cortex, whereas neurons involved in high-level disparity processing, or the reconstruction of 3D surface orientation through the computation of disparity gradients, were found mainly in the parietal area caudal intraparietal sulcus (CIP). Neurons sensitive to texture gradients, which is one of the major monocular cues, were also found in CIP. The majority of these neurons were sensitive to disparity gradients as well, suggesting their involvement in the computation of 3D surface orientation. In CIP, neurons sensitive to multiple depth cues were widely distributed together with those sensitive to a specific depth cue, suggesting CIP's involvement in the integration of depth information from different sources. In addition, human and monkey imaging studies have indicated convergence of multiple depth cues in CIP. These neurophysiological findings suggest that CIP plays a critical role in 3D vision by constructing a generalized representation of the 3D surface geometry of objects.

Ok. Wow that was a lot. I have put into bold the key words in this little piece that pertain to the reality that we see in 2D and the brain then creates the perception of depth. It's often referred to as 2D+, not 3D. The bold red sums it all up.

Interesting stuff.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Or watch the Truth Series on youtube that will be released at around the same time as the book.

Anytime I see something about, "The Truth", or, "What they're hiding", or, "What they don't want you to know", it registers as a scam to me. Take what you will from that.

Also, just a hint, but your eyes don't need to relearn how to see. You might need to change what you think, or reframe a thought process, but your eyes have one major job and they do it without conscious intervention.

It sounds like there are some very serious flaws in regards to the mental and physical portions of this manual.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand that, and I respect Stan's passion for the game and for teaching others what he's learned. However, if he really wants to get the "truth" out there, if he really wants people to benefit from his book, then giving away all the info for free is not a good strategy. Sure, you'll buy a copy of the book, along with many of his friends and other CTE users. But the vast majority of pool players out there that really want to learn CTE will take advantage of the free lessons and not invest $75 or more in a 400 page book.

I beg to differ on this one. If the goal is not money, but rather broadcasting the message to the masses, then giving away the information is the way to go. If it absolutely must be in written form and not on youtube (ironic, as the CTE supporters always said you can't learn CTE in a 2D book), then post it as a Dr. Dave or Tor Lowry kind of thing, in writing, downloadable. Why spend $40,000 when the information can be produced for practically free and disseminated on the web? If Stan wants this information to survive through future generations I think having it all out there on the web is a better bet than sitting on some dark shelf collecting dust.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anytime I see something about, "The Truth", or, "What they're hiding", or, "What they don't want you to know", it registers as a scam to me. Take what you will from that.

Also, just a hint, but your eyes don't need to relearn how to see. You might need to change what you think, or reframe a thought process, but your eyes have one major job and they do it without conscious intervention.

It sounds like there are some very serious flaws in regards to the mental and physical portions of this manual.

The operative definition of a "Sea Story" is a story that begins with the phrase, "Now, this is NO shit."

Whenever I lied to my Mom, I always started with, "Now Mom, this is the truth."

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Maybe the two DVD's weren't the truth. :D
More than a decade ago, the hooligans argued the system was simple.
Some argued there were only 3 shots in pool. Hey, Efren said it too, they said.
Two DVD's and countless videos later, it still needs a book to be fully explained .

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"It's about getting the Truth out about CTE aiming."

I wonder if this statement is a rather clandestine way of admitting that everything up to "The Book" hasn't been.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It's called center to edge but one of the shills said you should not use the center of the ball to aim.