? for Bartrum and other pool/poker players

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you enjoy winning at pool more than poker or poker more than pool?

Or,

It dont matter ship it!!!!!!!!

The reason for asking is I just wondered because you might have put more effort into one of the 2 games thus the payoff is sweeter in one than the other.

Speaking for myself, I never play poker so I dont know. Winning pool is satisfying but I have never been great at pool. Winning in pool is cool for me when i beat someone who is better than me. Robbing a game is a grind and not satisfying but when I had to I did.

What I was great at was telemarketing and the $$$ I made was fun, I made more in the credit biz but it was a grind and not satisfying.

I know it all spends the same, there is just something about making money certain ways that are more fun than others-for me. I just wondered if it works like that for you as a pool player?

Of course i aint made shit since may 08(Gods honest truth), so i kinda forgot....:(

take care

Eric:)

CantEverWin

"The One"
Silver Member
Hey Eric, I think you're looking for a better answer than mine, but there isn't a straight up answer. For me, it all depends on how you get there. I've played bad in poker, and pool tourneys before and won. I've never been one to get excited at all about those. However, I'm playing a bit more for the competition than the money.
The guys who only care about the money I would guess like poker better. There's just so much more money in it.

To me me poker is a game of wits. Much more so than pool. Not that pool isn't. I really like "out smarting" someone, and to do well in poker you must do it consistantly. So to that end I'd pick poker.
I would assume that the people who like beating someone in physical competition would choose their pool wins.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Eric, I think you're looking for a better answer than mine, but there isn't a straight up answer. For me, it all depends on how you get there. I've played bad in poker, and pool tourneys before and won. I've never been one to get excited at all about those. However, I'm playing a bit more for the competition than the money.
The guys who only care about the money I would guess like poker better. There's just so much more money in it.

To me me poker is a game of wits. Much more so than pool. Not that pool isn't. I really like "out smarting" someone, and to do well in poker you must do it consistantly. So to that end I'd pick poker.
I would assume that the people who like beating someone in physical competition would choose their pool wins.

thats a great answer,

for me $$$ was easy in telemarketing, it is a game, either the salesman wins(closes a deal) or the customer wins-they dont buy. I enjoyed closing it was a rush even tho it came naturally. Maybe because I was good at it-it was a rush, I could close buyers other people couldn't. I never got that rush winning in black jack(i played single deck very good)
or any other gambling. In pool only if I beat a better player would I get a little tingle.

funny how things are in life, where I made my $$$ credit biz and property I was board to death and didnt like it. I only did it because it worked well for me, i imagine some pool players its that way for them in pool, its the path of least resistance-not fun. However for me what was fun was not boring(well sometimes it was, over all it was fun)

thanks man

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Money won is twice as sweet as money earned. :)

I agree with the second poster in a lot of ways fatboy. Its about the competition and not always the competition you think of. Sometimes personal performance is really the greatest satisfaction. I've had some very satisfying losses where I have played extremely well, but just got beat.

Personally, I would rather win at pool than poker, just because I like pool better than poker.

I guess whatever you are playing, you probably dream of the ultimate playing field. Whether its the SuperBowl, the World Series, the Mosconi Cup, or just winning your local pool league, it is all a little sweeter when you get paid.

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member

Or,

The reason for asking is I just wondered because you might have put more effort into one of the 2 games thus the payoff is sweeter in one than the other.

Speaking for myself, I never play poker so I dont know. Winning pool is satisfying but I have never been great at pool. Winning in pool is cool for me when i beat someone who is better than me. Robbing a game is a grind and not satisfying but when I had to I did.

What I was great at was telemarketing and the $$$ I made was fun, I made more in the credit biz but it was a grind and not satisfying.

I know it all spends the same, there is just something about making money certain ways that are more fun than others-for me. I just wondered if it works like that for you as a pool player?

Of course i aint made shit since may 08(Gods honest truth), so i kinda forgot....:(

take care

Pool
But it's close

poker player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
definitely poker, nothing feels better than to win $10,000 or $20,000 in the time it takes to play a hand of no-limit poker. tournaments too, for the relatively small cost of a buy-in $500 - $2500 if you get lucky maybe win $100.000 or more, pretty sweet!!!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
definitely poker, nothing feels better than to win $10,000 or $20,000 in the time it takes to play a hand of no-limit poker. tournaments too, for the relatively small cost of a buy-in $500 - $2500 if you get lucky maybe win $100.000 or more, pretty sweet!!!

with numbers like that of course poker, you get a good price on your $$, good value.

CantEverWin

"The One"
Silver Member
Not meaning high jack Eric's thread, but I'd be curious to hear which game bothers the same people to lose.
It seems logical that it would be the same answer for both, but poker seems to have a special way of pissing people off.

Toncam

Another Bum !
Silver Member
Not meaning high jack Eric's thread, but I'd be curious to hear which game bothers the same people to lose.
It seems logical that it would be the same answer for both, but poker seems to have a special way of pissing people off.

Poker players are ALWAYS pissed off when they lose, lol. Its a toss up as to to who is the bigger crybabys, poker players or 21 players.
Its always a big play by play analysis when a poker player loses a pot, its never just "Oh well, lets put em in the air and try again". You got to hear everything in nauseating detail. You lost, its done, get over it.

To me, crap shooters are the best, they dont say much except mumble a few curses and thats it, next shooter, lets go.

Ollie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously u guys don't know the difference!!! Pool takes talent to win at!!! In poker anybody can win!!! Why the **** do u think so many people play poker!!! It takes skill and dedication to succeed in the pool world!!! Look at all the WSP winners who r rookies!!! That would never happen on pools biggest stage!!! Case closed!! I will agree the money is way better in poker!!! But when u snap off a big pool tournament you know you have done something!!!!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool > Poker Cash Game because when I was playing a lot of poker before Black Friday, I was doing very well, and I hardly ever book winners in pool, so winning in pool meant a lot more to me.

Poker Tournaments > Everything because although I never had a great win rate, I was winner overall, and the tournaments I did manage to go deep in were very rewarding. There's just something great about sitting at a computer for 7-10 hours and making a decent chunk of change.

pletho

NON "ACTION KNOCKER"
Silver Member
Personally, I love to win at pool, but nothing is sweeter than buying in for $100 in a 1-3 NLH game and cashing out 72 hours later with $10,000 dollars. Some may say, how does that happen, well, unless your me, you won't know, but I assure you that many people have seen me do this a few times and many more times, I have taken $100 to several thousand in 24 to 48 hours. (hint, I move up in game levels, meaning 1-3 to 2-5 to 2-5 PLO to 5-10 PLO, etc)

In the case above, it's MUCH sweeter to win playing poker. It's not that easy to win this much money playing pool. Well, I guess if your stealing and betting 1,000 a game it is, or playing $2500 sets. But how often does that happen? Hardly ever from what I have seen over the years.

I know guys who play pool better than many professionals, but they play poker instead, because the money is not in pool. Poker is where the real money is at, especially if you know what your doing.

Don't get me wrong, playing pool and winning is awesome, especially when your in stroke, and playing real well (in the zone). It's a experience that is very hard to explain to anyone, unless they themselves have been there. But nothing compared to winning in poker, especially when you won playing a whole table full of excellent poker players, verses a pool player beating just one other pool player.

Last edited:

pletho

NON "ACTION KNOCKER"
Silver Member
Obviously u guys don't know the difference!!! Pool takes talent to win at!!! In poker anybody can win!!! Why the **** do u think so many people play poker!!! It takes skill and dedication to succeed in the pool world!!! Look at all the WSP winners who r rookies!!! That would never happen on pools biggest stage!!! Case closed!! I will agree the money is way better in poker!!! But when u snap off a big pool tournament you know you have done something!!!!

Lol! That's exactly what we want you to think. Do you honestly think it does not take skill and dedication to be great at poker?

Sure..... any monkey can sit at a table and and get dealt cards, and occasionally a monkey can become a luck box and make money. But to consistanly win at poker it takes great knowledge, skill, dedication, timeing, and an in depth understanding and feel of people and how the table is playing. You have to know when to make moves, and against who. You have to be able to win no matter what two cards your dealt. A great player can win playing poker even if they have been getting dealt crappy cards.

Please, do not compare tournament poker to cash game poker, there is no comparison at all.

pletho

NON "ACTION KNOCKER"
Silver Member
Poker players are ALWAYS pissed off when they lose, lol. Its a toss up as to to who is the bigger crybabys, poker players or 21 players.
Its always a big play by play analysis when a poker player loses a pot, its never just "Oh well, lets put em in the air and try again". You got to hear everything in nauseating detail. You lost, its done, get over it.

To me, crap shooters are the best, they dont say much except mumble a few curses and thats it, next shooter, lets go.

Wrong... Only people who have poor self control get pissed off win they lose. I would pretty much bet you that any poker player that throws tantrums win he or she loses, would do the same if they lost at pool. And you'd hear the same old stories of how they lost in pool, just as in poker.

CantEverWin

"The One"
Silver Member

I won't get into a poker is just luck argument at this moment, but yes there is a lot of variance in poker. Especially no limit holdem. However, for many, beating that variance is what can make winning that much more special. Being a good poker player isn't determined in a single session, or tourney. Which is why it gets hard to judge who is "good."

poker player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it`s usually the less experienced players that will throw tantrums & lose control, the more seasoned players especially pros seldom lose control of their emotions, sure were all human & sometimes even a seasoned pro will grumble about a real bad beat for a lot of $$, but no tantrums

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Or,

take care

Eric, my best feeling wins are at the race track (horses) , boy that feeling i get when my horse finishes 1st (is the best high ) and then i have to wait for the race to be offical to collect my money, yeah thats the best for me!

Even i know betting the horses is a losing game, but man when your horse does win what a feeling!

The toughest game outthere to win at is the horses, i compare it to the poker machines ,Atlease i was smart enough not to let myself play those machines, but the horses well thats another story!

Toncam

Another Bum !
Silver Member
Wrong... Only people who have poor self control get pissed off win they lose. I would pretty much bet you that any poker player that throws tantrums win he or she loses, would do the same if they lost at pool. And you'd hear the same old stories of how they lost in pool, just as in poker.

Well it must be my imagination then because i have heard more "Bad beat" stories than i care to remember. Now i didnt say they throw tantrums, but its always a story and a half.
Now im a crap dealer going on 32 years now and i know what i know, i would love to hear just one time, just once a poker player who comes up to the table and i ask him how he did to just say " No good or i lost" or something along those lines instead of having to hear every detail.
The 21 players are almost as bad, them you want to hit over the head with a 2 x 4 just to get them to shut up, lol.
I know a lot of poker dealers also and they agree with me and they tell me i dont really know the depth of it of how bad they are, so i guess i got more basis for my argument than against.
Fleas will always be fleas.

And another poster said something along the lines of poker is just luck and theres no skill in it ? To that i only have to say " Then why do the same guys or group of guys keep making it to finals or in the money ? "