Question.

John Brumback

Silver Member
Would you rather know all the science that is involved in a pool shot or would you just rather know how to play top speed pool? Yes or no would be fine. Thanks,John B.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you do the latter without any knowledge of the first question....?

Rhino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you rather know all the science that is involved in a pool shot or would you just rather know how to play top speed pool? Yes or no would be fine. Thanks,John B.

I don't need ALL the scientific information,
just enough to do the job and correct my mistakes.
Ya know, not every knows the science behind what makes
a toilet work, but we all know how to use one!:cool:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Personally, I don't like the "science" aspect of it. Tell me how to do it, and if I can replicate it, I'm good to go. I don't particularly care why I made it, as long as I can make it.

Same with taking a trip on an airplane, don't much care how they manage to get a 30 ton sardine can in the air, just KEEP it up there when I'm on it :thumbup:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
none of us know the science

John,

I have made my living in R&D amongst many other things in the past. I know enough to have a glimmering of what I don't know and others don't know either. None of us knows all of the science behind pool shots working or not working. Even if we knew the science it would be of little use since some of the variables change from table to table and even on the same table at different times.

Tell me how to bank balls hitting two adjacent rails and I won't care about the science, I just want the damned ball in the hole! There was a time when I was a decent one rail and three rail banker, three to six ball runs were common on a snooker table, but the two railers always seemed to have my number. It is even worse now that I don't shoot daily.

The science is fun to kill time discussing when I'm not on the table but I'll "black box" all the science and be just as happy as long as I am pocketing balls.

Hu

John Brumback

Silver Member
I don't need ALL the scientific information,
just enough to do the job and correct my mistakes.
Ya know, not every knows the science behind what makes
a toilet work, but we all know how to use one!:cool:

IMO most top players would agree with you. Nice example IMO. John B.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the technique is backed by science, (even if the student does not understand it) then just the technique is fine.

If the technique does not make sense from a scientific standpoint, then I don't care if Efren is preaching it. He's mistaken.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to say, I don't care how they build Chevy's, I just wanna drive one.

How Some Ever, I have realized there is more to one's game, than shooting balls in the pocket.

There is stamina for a long set...

There is safety play for the occasional tricky player

and on and on and on.... understanding some physics & science won't hurt.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John,

I have made my living in R&D amongst many other things in the past. I know enough to have a glimmering of what I don't know and others don't know either. None of us knows all of the science behind pool shots working or not working. Even if we knew the science it would be of little use since some of the variables change from table to table and even on the same table at different times.

Tell me how to bank balls hitting two adjacent rails and I won't care about the science, I just want the damned ball in the hole! There was a time when I was a decent one rail and three rail banker, three to six ball runs were common on a snooker table, but the two railers always seemed to have my number. It is even worse now that I don't shoot daily.

The science is fun to kill time discussing when I'm not on the table but I'll "black box" all the science and be just as happy as long as I am pocketing balls.

Hu

Once you plan for that 2-railer to open up after the second rail, 3-6 inches, because of length of travel & rail induced spin, you'll have some fun with them.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
John ... thanks for stopping back. I have to say, I'm not a scientist ... just would like to know how to do it! :thumbup:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
The basic science concepts are not that difficult to learn but like Hu suggested, the inconsistent conditions make it nearly impossible if not actually impossible to have any complete & totally accurate explanation of all of the parameters that play their share. Friction, compression, & spin can be bad boys or they can be one's friends.

I would think that since most of us on AZB are players, we would much rather be able to execute & not know the science than to know the science & not execute.

Best 2 Y'a,
Rick

John Brumback

Silver Member
Personally, I don't like the "science" aspect of it. Tell me how to do it, and if I can replicate it, I'm good to go. I don't particularly care why I made it, as long as I can make it.

Same with taking a trip on an airplane, don't much care how they manage to get a 30 ton sardine can in the air, just KEEP it up there when I'm on it :thumbup:

Me too:thumbup: I know the "whys" might help in some games maybe but I don' think pool is one of em. Just show me the new shot,then I'll practice until I get it down.I could care less about all them whys. Could it be that being too smart is detrimental to playing top speed pool? That sounds stupid but who knows. John B.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

If everyone had to explain how they're living today.....or die....
...tomorrow there would be a lot of funerals.

I think every player does things that MAYBE they can explain much later.....
....knowing it's gonna work is more important.
It took me a week once to figure out why I aimed thick at a certain shot at snooker.
But I had been making that shot for years.

John Brumback

Silver Member
If the technique is backed by science, (even if the student does not understand it) then just the technique is fine.

If the technique does not make sense from a scientific standpoint, then I don't care if Efren is preaching it. He's mistaken.

Well said,I will not argue with that statement. John B.

Rhino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From personal experience, the technical folks end up with
"paralysis by analysis". They need to know everything and
when a mistake occurs they have to reevaluate and re-analyze
everything they "know". Jmo, personal experiences may vary...

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly makes me think of the movie Bull Durham Line. "Don't think meat it can only hurt the club"

My grandfather who had a great line. You don't have to be an expert as long as you know more than the other guy

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

If Efren says to put the the chalk down on the table with your left hand when cutting to the left & with your right hand when cutting to the right, & he is being serious, I'm doing it.

Science only knows so much.:wink:

And...if I told Efren that it was not working for me...he'd probably tell me, 'well then do it the other way'.

Remember he only 'Got Lucky'.:wink:

Best 2 Y'a,
Rick

PS I've had 3 years of physics education.

John Brumback

Silver Member
From personal experience, the technical folks end up with
"paralysis by analysis". They need to know everything and
when a mistake occurs they have to reevaluate and re-analyze
everything they "know". Jmo, personal experiences may vary...

That's been my personal experience also.Sounds alot like some that I golf with:p Quit worrying about all them whys and practice some!! John B.

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John. Yes to both. Sometimes you need to understand everything about a shot and sometimes you don't. My wife and I have been working with a friend of yours.... Dee Adkins. Going on a year now!

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy Hall is a firm believer in the science end of it. He didn't know as much as is available today, but he sure used what he did know about it.