correct way to shape a jump cue tip and why?

kiinstructor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive been told that a very flat tip shape for both break and jump cues is the way to go. Can anyone tell me what works the best and why. thanks.

riskytrousers

Registered
I would love to hear from the experts on this one as well.

One benefit I can think of is a more consistent center-ball hit even when struck slightly off-center.

tsp&b

Silver Member
For J/B tips I use a radius of about 1/2 inch. That is approx the radius of a US Quarter ($0.25). That is just what I use, unless the customer wants something else.

Thanks,
Todd

kiinstructor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago Allen Hopkins told me that the break cue tip should be as flat as possible. Just the slightest dome so as to hit the center. My friend and I have the same jump cue with the same tip and his is rounded considerably and mine is pretty flat. Similar to my break cue. Anyway I find that his cue jumps easier than mine. We probobly shot 100 jump shots and it was noticeable.

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
What I have found is... it depends on how you jump!
A break tip should be relatively flat. I use about a quarter radius... being that I am trying to hit as close to centerball as possible.

However, for a jump cue, it depends on the method in which you jump. If you just try to get over a ball, and get a good hit.. then flat is great. However, if you jump a ball, plan on making it, and THEN get shape, a more round tip allows you to spin the cue ball when you jump.

My jump cue has the same radius as my playing shaft. I can jump a full ball and still draw 3/4 of a table... you simply cannot do that with a flat tip.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You only use one edge of the tip at a time when you hit the cue ball if you are using jump cue because your cue is angled high.

Why can't you have a flat edge on one side and a rounded on the other?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Perfectly flat would be okay on a break tip. There is a very famous pro player that used to get his Lepro tip shaped flat on his break cue. For 13mm jump cues a nickel radius is what I feel lifts the ball the easiest without miscuing. But as a compromise for a 13mm jump/break tip a quarter is a good medium radius since most people don't want to have to carry 3 cues.