Josh Filler says to SVB, "There's a new King!"

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After beating Shane again in singles, Josh Filler says, "There's a new King!"

I say get some big backers and play SVB a race to 50 or 100 for some real money.

Maybe Shaw can get up the nerve to play Bergman if he likes the pocket size.

Dream double header for PPV.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hahahaha, I think everyone is taking this comment too seriously. It is the Mosconi Cup and they have no doubt been prepped to exaggerate their celebrations. Just look at the Marcus/Johan pre-match video. This is the WWF of pool.

In no way does Filler think a few short sets of 9 ball prove anything. Now, he may be a contender for the unofficial money championship, but that will be earned through major titles (which he's already won) and through taking down guys like SVB in long sets (which may happen soon enough). But I say take it for what it is, a funny thing to say to the cameras.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

I say get some big backers and play SVB a race to 50 or 100 for some real money.

Maybe Shaw can get up the nerve to play Bergman if he likes the pocket size.

Dream double header for PPV.

He didn't actually say that, did he?

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He said it and it's good for TV imo.

I think the camera work has been top notch.

Matchroom has knocked it out of the park this yr.
The close match going into the last day helps a lot too.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hahahaha, I think everyone is taking this comment too seriously. It is the Mosconi Cup and they have no doubt been prepped to exaggerate their celebrations. Just look at the Marcus/Johan pre-match video. This is the WWF of pool.

In no way does Filler think a few short sets of 9 ball prove anything. Now, he may be a contender for the unofficial money championship, but that will be earned through major titles (which he's already won) and through taking down guys like SVB in long sets (which may happen soon enough). But I say take it for what it is, a funny thing to say to the cameras.

I'll go a step further and ask what makes him wrong?
In the last two years he's been mosconi cup mvp, reigning world 9 ball champion, current reigning us open champion, make it happen 14.1 winner and many other tournaments he's been finishing in top 4 if not runner up (like 2019 derby city Big Foot and world 10 ball championship). He's taken down huge money matches at Derby and now he's undefeated in singles in the Mosconi Cup.

He may be crass, and come off as the Iron Sheik of the Mosconi Cup that you want to see Hogan slam...but he's the king.
Now, it's time for our boys to step up and dethrone him.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll tell you what, if Filler and Shane play a race to 100, 10 ball, winner break, diamond table, the side betting will be huge. I for one, would be betting on the Filler side;)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Actually, there has been a new king for a year now and his name is Filler. I'm not sure why he bothers stating the obvious.

He deals with pressure situations better than anyone in the game, and that's why he's won 15 of the 16 racks he's played in singles at this Mosconi, including 10 of 11 racks against Van Boening. It's why, in the past year, he won gold at the WPA World 9-ball Championships, gold at the US Open 9-ball, silver at the European 9-ball Championships and bronze at the International 9-ball Championships. He also ran 285 balls in straight pool to win the Derby City high run prize this year.

No-one know what's next for Josh. Maybe he never wins another event or significant match, but it's also possible he'll be in the conversation for the greatest pool player that ever lived one day. The bigger the moment, the bigger he plays, and that's the truest measure of a champion.

I'll be rooting against Filler tomorrow, but I won't allow my nationalism to obscure the fact that I'm watching the best player in the world by far, and a fellow who, at just 22, is already on a trajectory for the BCA Hall of Fame. Don't bet against his future induction.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no way I'd bet against Filler right now.

But, he's still an ass. This game has a way of humbling everyone eventually, and his day will come.

Haha, yes....like the Iron Sheik used to say "I will humble you!"

Yes, the game humbles everyone eventually, so does life.
Filler will be humbled (let's just hope it's live tomorrow)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
We all have opinions, but I don't think Filler is an ass at all. He has confidence and personality. I like it!

That's how I feel, too. He is confident and animated and, yes, cocky, but he plays with great joy and is an electrifying presence whenever he competes.

He gets very excited when he wins, and that's just what pool needs. He talks the talk and walks the walk and right now, he's the state of the art in pool.

It's lonely at the top, as everyone is gunning for you, but Josh enjoys his life as a pro player and it shows.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
King of Boogerville.

Attachments

• filler finger2.jpg
    filler finger2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 708

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi Cup is going hill hill and SVB VS Filler captains pick final match 😲

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 668

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Mosconi Cup is going hill hill and SVB VS Filler captains pick final match 😲

If it does I don't think SVB should be the US captain's pick unless Shane really dominates all his matches all day and is in a really confident frame of mind (neither are likely IMO but you never know). Should be either Skyler or Bergman, whichever of the two is playing best and whose confidence is higher.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If it does I don't think SVB should be the US captain's pick unless Shane really dominates all his matches all day and is in a really confident frame of mind (neither are likely IMO but you never know). Should be either Skyler or Bergman, whichever of the two is playing best and whose confidence is higher.

I know what you're saying, but if this reaches 10-10, Johan will never hear the end of it if he goes down with SVB sitting out the captain's pick match.

Shane will play just once tomorrow unless Match 21 is required.