Inside the Mind of a Child Prodigy: Joshua Filler

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiards Digest came with an excellent article written by Keith Paradise about Joshua Filler, who may be one of the most misunderstood pro players on the planet. His tableside demeanor is welcomed by many, as illustrated by Jerry Forsyth's observation:

"I would attribute it to maturing, but I hope he doesn't take it too far," said Jerry Forsyth, who broadcast Filler's performance at the Mosconi Cup and has been involved with the game for five decades. "We don't need another boring pool player."

Love him or hate him, he's definitely got game. Me personally, I really enjoy following his pool journey on Facebook along with his sweetie-pie wife, Pia. The two make a great team, and this article really provides some insights that I had not known previously. Hope you enjoy the read as much as I did.

Please don't use this thread as a bashing mechanism. Rather, it's just an informative thread for us pool peeps to learn more about a 22-year-old child prodigy.

Could his achievements, success, and championship titles be because of Marcus Chamat? Read on to find out why. ;)

Source: Growing Pains.

Attachments

• JoshPia2.jpg
    JoshPia2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,268
  • FillerYouth.jpg
    FillerYouth.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,377
  • FillerCelebratory.jpg
    FillerCelebratory.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 1,430
Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Was nice hearing Hatch's perspectives within that article, as well as Thorstens view of Josh and his wife partnership in pool. Hatch, had a similar style in his youth.

But no player....has Ever pocketed balls like Earl did in his youth, no one.

An Earl Strickland comes along once every century.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wow, what a great story!

I know. JAM, that you've greatly warmed to Flller, and I've gradually come to understand why. I'm starting to become a Filler fan, too. His package of talent and enthusiasm is a breath of fresh air for our game. Filler's antics after a win remind me of basketball legend Magic Johnson as a rookie.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar has often told this story about the 21-year old Magic Johnson. After a thrilling, come from behind win by the Lakers very early in the NBA season, Magic was running around, looking to hug his teammates as if they'd just won the NBA Championship. The gist of what Kareem told him was "calm down, pace yourself, it's a long season," but it wasn't in the nature of Magic to celebrate an exciting victory in quiet, inanimate dignity. It's not in the youthful Filler's nature either.

Magic Johnson's enthusiasm, which became a bit more checked as he became more experienced, was something we all came to love, and I think we will all come to love Filler's unbridled enthusiasm in the same way.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really great written article and nice reading. I like that picture of a kid. I remember my first time noticing Josh just at that age during European championships for youth in Bad Wildungen (Germany) where I was happy to be with ukrainian team as a team-leader.
I think Joshua is trouvaille for Matchroom in their attempt to bring a success into this sport and get a wider audience. So I wish Fillers couple my best regards and keep enjoying what they're doing so as I do watching Josh playing.:)
Thanks a lot for sharing.

Cary

Registered
"I would attribute it to maturing, but I hope he doesn't take it too far," said Jerry Forsyth, who broadcast Filler's performance at the Mosconi Cup and has been involved with the game for five decades. "We don't need another boring pool player."

I wonder, did anyone ever find Efren boring?

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
It was unbelievable to get to sit in the Filler corner with Pia when Joshua won the US Open! They are a beautiful couple and will be an exciting part of pool for many years.

Attachments

• StevePia.jpg
    StevePia.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,039

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Nice article. He was a cute little kid, playing with the semi-mullet with dyed Mohawk : )

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good read, thanks. that coach guy gives the same explanation i gave cornerman when we were debating filler's manners. filler has always been a pressure cooker, and the steam releases when it's a W coming. there is nothing theatrical about this, he has always been like this.

souquet says it is a bit un-german. maybe, i don't know. but young ortmann had a lot of panache, too

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Good read, thanks. that coach guy gives the same explanation i gave cornerman when we were debating filler's manners. filler has always been a pressure cooker, and the steam releases when it's a W coming. there is nothing theatrical about this, he has always been like this.

souquet says it is a bit un-german. maybe, i don't know. but young ortmann had a lot of panache, too

What does this have to do with breakfast?

Inside joke:thumbup:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member

I wonder, did anyone ever find Efren boring?

Who are you talking about? The minute percentage of the population who already played pool, and would have been playing pool whether Efren played or not?

Big personalities with huge talent are what bring NEW players to a game. As talented as he was, the general public had absolutely no clue who Efren Reyes was.

It's a very good thing that people with actual experience marketing sports competition are in play here in America currently.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was a very well written and interesting article. I especially liked reading about their relationship. Thanks for sharing.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yea certainly Ralf has never shown a emotional outburst 😂😂😂

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met him in Germany about 3.5 years ago. He has always been 100% cool with me and treated me with respect. I give him the same respect.

Being born with talent like that and being able to handle it can’t be easy. Not making excuses for him. I don’t really know what the beef is. I’d be having to check my ego at the door if I played like he does and that’s hard when your 22 beating the world.

I wish him the best, fun to see a new monster player. That’s my take away from it all.

Fatboy

FWIW Johnny Archer played him in the finals in Germany, I covered the entire rail. I was the only person betting on JA. I got 3 phone calls telling me I was nuts. I won about 20 bets. I just made a list and bet size-everyone paid. Germans are honorable. Nobody but me bet on JA. But JA was 100% that night and was not even gambling IMO. I got all the cash. Lol, I don’t think I’ve won a rail bet since-man I’ve been running bad......

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kid is amazing and I can’t wait to see how long and stellar his career becomes.