Brainwash drill

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hussa,

atm just playin the *brainwash-drill* - for me at least best drill ever to get better on patterns and straight pool.
Today cleared 17 from 20 tables- very satisfying. Love that drill, forces to think about patterns and forces to play good position, too.

lg
Ingo

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hi Steve,

just throw/ or place the ball over the table (like a boom with 8-ball ^^)- then ball-in-hand on first ball. Then you have to clear the balls and the cueball is not allowed to touch a cushion/rail. That s all.
On Jim Rempe s DVD *How to run a rack* he recommends this drill, too :)
tc
Ingo

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I know the drill. I have practiced it numerous times, just didn't know that was the name of it. Great DVD too !

Thanks
steve

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
holy crap, 17? stop making me feel inferior lol. I'd be pretty pleased to get through one. That's really strong Ratta. I'll try this drill as it sounds very useful.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
CreeDo,

the drill teaches many things- you can train here on your pre-shot-routine, rythm, shooting-abilites, and for sure you have to pay attention on each shot, because one time out of position could be your *death*.
Of course it depends also on how the balls are *hangin around*. Don t place them too hard (to near to the rail)- How Jim says in his video- play this drill each day for 2 hours- and your game will increase for sure!

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
CreeDo,

the drill teaches many things- you can train here on your pre-shot-routine, rythm, shooting-abilites, and for sure you have to pay attention on each shot, because one time out of position could be your *death*.
Of course it depends also on how the balls are *hangin around*. Don t place them too hard (to near to the rail)- How Jim says in his video- play this drill each day for 2 hours- and your game will increase for sure!

Didn't he say to just practice this drill and nothing else and within a few weeks you will be raining 100s?

I have done it a few times but 17 out of 20 is super strong. Like you say, if you get a little out of line, you lose your angle, your pattern and you are through.

It doesn't give you practice doing something you do a lot of in 14.1 and that is coming off rails, but I guess what it does give you is very valuable.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I won t go so far *that you ll reach soon 100er runs*. But the drill is very underestimated in my opinion. I had a very good day and was already in the morning nervously because i wanted to play pool :p
But to play solo and playing a *game* in league is a big difference. I personally play too much safety and the game usualy ends in a safety-war. And i bet you know that feeling, that if you acting this way too long in a game, it s really hard to going on again with high-runs :)
That s why we re here and not at the pro-tour, lol^^
But as long as the love to the game is there, all is good :)

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I won t go so far *that you ll reach soon 100er runs*.

Right, but I think that is what Rempe said. Keep at this drill for two weeks and pretty soon you will be raining 100s.

I thought it was kind of funny. I talk about my own game and "raining" 3s and 4s.

17 out of 20 is unbelievable. I have a friend who has run 100s and he likes this drill and says until he does it twice in a row, he doesn't count it. 17/20 is phenomenal.

sausage

Banned
yeah, 17 of 20 is very very good.

what that drill "teaches" me more than anything, is to "pinch" my shots for precise cue position. it's a drill designed to get you "in-stroke" and it works.... i need a table.:mad:

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hate to expose my ignorance but could you give a little more description of the start of the drill? I can't quite picture it.

Dave Nelson

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Just place the balls all over the table- just watch that a ball is not too
far to the rail-so it s possible to pocket all balls. and the cueball is not allowed to touch any rail/cushion. To clear the table is the drill- so you have to play precise position and watch out for good patterns to clean the table.

CueTable Help

on beginning you have ball-in-hand :)
have fun with it.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, thanks. Same drill as I have been doing except that I just want to clear the table. Doing it without touching a rail is, I think, way beyond my capabilities, but I'll give it a try.

Dave Nelson

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Okay, thanks. Same drill as I have been doing except that I just want to clear the table. Doing it without touching a rail is, I think, way beyond my capabilities, but I'll give it a try.

Dave Nelson

dave, stay positive..... nothing is out of your capabilities. your capabilities are what you make them !!!!

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Steve. I'm going to start working on it as soon as I get back from delivering my son to the airport. I suspect it will be some time before I do it for the first time. I'll keep records and post my success or lack thereof.

Dave Nelson

sausage

Banned
another thing this drill teaches is to take the shot that leaves you position on more than one ball. options makes the game a heck of a lot easier.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I made it to 14. The 15th shot was about 3/4 the table length with an angle of about 5 deg. I undercut it.

Dave Nelson

Elephant Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I tried for about an hour and couldn't get past 10. Is there a video of anyone completing this drill? I know it is possible I just would like to see it. Darn pesky rails!