Basic Aiming - My thoughts and approach

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like many of you I've played pool all of my life.

I was blessed with above average hand-eye coordination.

I took lessons from Jimmy Reid many years ago (if you're not familiar with Jimmy, he was a stone cold champion - 1985 US OPEN 9 Ball Champion, World 8 Ball Champion, etc, etc...).

Jimmy taught me the fundamentals needed to be a good shot maker. These aren't any secret...but at the time he showed these to me as a kid they were life changing.

1. Your stance should always be well balanced regardless of the shot. If you're balanced, after your tip makes contact with the cue ball you should be able to freeze completely in place (head/arm/stance/all) UNTIL the cue ball stops rolling. When you can do this consistently you will play way, way, better. And when you miss, you'll KNOW why you missed (overcut, undercut, etc).

Aiming is perception so everyone will ultimately develop or fine-tune their own methods (despite the various, wonderful techniques that can help you get started...I advocate trying them all), but if they can't stay still or get in-line...they'll never REALLY know why they miss or make a ball.

Here is how I aim. It's really basic, but it works.

1. I find the line between the cue ball and a 100% full hit on the object ball (regardless of where the object ball is in relation to the pocket). I need to see that full hit first.

2. Then I look at the object ball in relation to the pocket.

3. Looking at these two perceptions helps me find the contact point. I always had a tendency to overcut everything and when I figured this out, it really helped.

4. Shoot with good fundamentals and if you miss, your brain will interpret why and should kind of automatically adjust as you progress in your game for that day. You should get these adjustments out of the way during practice and before competition each day.

I hope this might help someone.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

1. I find the line between the cue ball and a 100% full hit on the object ball (regardless of where the object ball is in relation to the pocket). I need to see that full hit first.

3. Looking at these two perceptions helps me find the contact point.
Do you do anything in particular with the contact point? For instance, I "measure" how far my stick is pointed from the contact point. I don't do anything consciously with that measurement, just take note and let my subconscious use it to tell me when the shot "looks right".

pj
chgo

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's exactly what I do. Don't exactly know why, but that straight in shot starts things off. I'd add that I probably only do this for longer shots, and not for sharp angles.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

3. Looking at these two perceptions helps me find the contact point. I always had a tendency to overcut everything and when I figured this out, it really helped.

4. Shoot with good fundamentals and if you miss, your brain will interpret why and should kind of automatically adjust as you progress in your game for that day. You should get these adjustments out of the way during practice and before competition each day.

I never paid much attention to the full hit comparison until I started looking at fractional aiming. Now I see it as a great key to recognizing cut shots. Great helpful post! :grin:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks for your post. I am so surprised that you "overcut" everything! When I'm in a daze or not concentrating, I undercut everything. And, that is what my pool teacher says most misses are from. It usually boils down that the pocket is not really the pocket along the rails, etc. It could be 4" outside of the actual pocket with the middle of the rail ends. I think most amateurs "undercut" almost everything thinking the pocket is the pocket. Thinking that what they see as the deep dark end of the pocket is the goal to send the OB. Maybe just my mistake.

Last edited:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like many of you I've played pool all of my life.

I was blessed with above average hand-eye coordination.

I took lessons from Jimmy Reid many years ago (if you're not familiar with Jimmy, he was a stone cold champion - 1985 US OPEN 9 Ball Champion, World 8 Ball Champion, etc, etc...).

Jimmy taught me the fundamentals needed to be a good shot maker. These aren't any secret...but at the time he showed these to me as a kid they were life changing.

1. Your stance should always be well balanced regardless of the shot. If you're balanced, after your tip makes contact with the cue ball you should be able to freeze completely in place (head/arm/stance/all) UNTIL the cue ball stops rolling. When you can do this consistently you will play way, way, better. And when you miss, you'll KNOW why you missed (overcut, undercut, etc).

Aiming is perception so everyone will ultimately develop or fine-tune their own methods (despite the various, wonderful techniques that can help you get started...I advocate trying them all), but if they can't stay still or get in-line...they'll never REALLY know why they miss or make a ball.

This is also what I do ever since I saw Jimmy Reid's "No Time for Negative" VHS tape back in the mid 90's or there about.

John

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Thanks for your post. I am so surprised that you "overcut" everything! When I'm in a daze or not concentrating, I undercut everything. And, that is what my pool teacher says most misses are from. It usually boils down that the pocket is not really the pocket along the rails, etc. It could be 4" outside of the actual pocket with the middle of the rail ends. I think most amateurs "undercut" almost everything thinking the pocket is the pocket. Thinking that what they see as the deep dark end of the pocket is the goal to send the OB. Maybe just my mistake.

Stronger players tend to be undercutters IMO. Most league players overcut, driving corner cuts into the long rails, not the short rails.

Reasons for overcutting from weaker players include:

* Overcutting past the geometric aim point can help counteract throw, so they overcut subconciously, don't get throw, miss

* Aiming/aligning the body on the perceived geometric aim line, where the full line is easier to hit full upon, by contrast

* Hitting the ball too hard (subconciously, perhaps, attempting to account for throw again) and squirting/deflecting off line/jumping the ball, etc.

* Having been "taught" (often by "knowledgeable" pool friends rather than instructors) that certain cuts are best when we "aim to miss then come back a bit"

* Ghost ball aim players often overcut, their emphasis is on "missing" rather than edge-to-edge or something solid

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you do anything in particular with the contact point? For instance, I "measure" how far my stick is pointed from the contact point. I don't do anything consciously with that measurement, just take note and let my subconscious use it to tell me when the shot "looks right".

pj
chgo

I don't even think of it as a "point". I think of it as a "face"...almost as if the ball is a cube. It psychologically gives me a much bigger target. Don't know if it makes sense for others, but works for me. Of course, when I'm in stroke I don't have it to give it much thought. I've been playing for so long it doesn't take as long to get my aiming in tune.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's exactly what I do. Don't exactly know why, but that straight in shot starts things off. I'd add that I probably only do this for longer shots, and not for sharp angles.

That's a great observation, Dan. This is really how I came up with it - when working on long shots. I mean, I'm sure I'm not the "inventor"...it's nothing revolutionary. But, discovered it for myself.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah, when I started out I had a tendency to overcut.

To add to my technique...I will also walk to the object ball and look at it compared to the pocket. THEN I will go and find the full ball hit, etc, etc. Sometimes I might even imagine or visualize the ball rolling into the pocket. All of these little visuals help you perceive where to hit it. Do whatever techniques you need BEFORE getting down on the ball. By the time you get down on the ball you should be 100% confident on where you are aiming. Then if your fundamentals are good and you miss, you'll know why and can adjust.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is also what I do ever since I saw Jimmy Reid's "No Time for Negative" VHS tape back in the mid 90's or there about.

John

I went to Jimmy's house when he lived in Nashville....early 2000s. He was a nice guy, great player, and great teacher. If I had gone and ONLY learned the stance/stability practice technique it would have been worth it's weight in gold. I hope people realize how valuable that is.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stronger players tend to be undercutters IMO. Most league players overcut, driving corner cuts into the long rails, not the short rails.
* Overcutting past the geometric aim point can help counteract throw, so they overcut subconciously, don't get throw, miss
* Aiming/aligning the body on the perceived geometric aim line, where the full line is easier to hit full upon, by contrast
* Hitting the ball too hard (subconciously, perhaps, attempting to account for throw again) and squirting/deflecting off line/jumping the ball, etc.
* Having been "taught" (often by "knowledgeable" pool friends rather than instructors) that certain cuts are best when we "aim to miss then come back a bit"
* Ghost ball aim players often overcut, their emphasis is on "missing" rather than edge-to-edge or something solid[/QUOTE]<===I've never seen a "ghost" yet.:wink:
FINGER UP- Yes Indeed.jpg
NOW.......you're sounding like a pool player!
That's good stuff.
WTG.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I don't even think of it as a "point". I think of it as a "face"...almost as if the ball is a cube. It psychologically gives me a much bigger target. Don't know if it makes sense for others, but works for me. Of course, when I'm in stroke I don't have it to give it much thought. I've been playing for so long it doesn't take as long to get my aiming in tune.
Sounds similar to visualizing the tangent line as an aiming guide. I've heard of that, and have even noticed myself doing something similar on occasion.

pj
chgo

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
* Ghost ball aim players often overcut, their emphasis is on "missing" rather than edge-to-edge or something solid[/QUOTE]<===I've never seen a "ghost" yet.:wink:
View attachment 506780
NOW.......you're sounding like a pool player!
That's good stuff.
WTG.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In celebration of my award winning aiming post, I'm giving it an annual bump.

I switched to a normal shaft this year...so while using basically the same techniques to aim, through careful practice I've had to make some adjustments for English/distance/speed of various shots, but it wasn't monumental.

I like the way a wood/high deflection shaft "hits" better than a 314-2. I've learned to adjust for the change in squirt/deflection with practice.

Note: Any good player can say they have a technique they will teach you for a price, but, they all learned through a lot of experience, competition, etc. Hey, Stan Shuffett is a smart guy and has really put a lot of thought and work into his system....I'm all for everyone buying it/reviewing it and seeing how it can work for you -- but I also promise, he played like a stone cold champion when he was aiming with his natural talent.

I like my technique as a good starting point for anyone. Everyone understands what its like to "line up" on a full ball hit, first. Then, based on where the object ball is in relation to the pocket, find a relatively reliable point of contact/shot line (all of this done while standing up, before getting down).

I don't care what technique you use. Everyone should experiment with them all to find what you like best....or invent your own through practice, experimentation, etc. Why does anyone have to choose a specific "technique"?

Has anyone else here had problems trying to figure out aim? Sure, we've all been there. Things like Spin, Squirt, Finding the line of the shot, Throw...they've given us all problems, right? Here's a secret. I'd like to introduce you to a system I've developed called the Matt_24 Starter Aim. For $99.95 I'll give you the secrets to make YOU shoot pool like a PRO! I'm KIDDING, I'm KIDDING. Have a great weekend.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
In celebration of my award winning aiming post, I'm giving it an annual bump.

I switched to a normal shaft this year...so while using basically the same techniques to aim, through careful practice I've had to make some adjustments for English/distance/speed of various shots, but it wasn't monumental.

I like the way a wood/high deflection shaft "hits" better than a 314-2. I've learned to adjust for the change in squirt/deflection with practice.

Note: Any good player can say they have a technique they will teach you for a price, but, they all learned through a lot of experience, competition, etc. Hey, Stan Shuffett is a smart guy and has really put a lot of thought and work into his system....I'm all for everyone buying it/reviewing it and seeing how it can work for you -- but I also promise, he played like a stone cold champion when he was aiming with his natural talent.

I like my technique as a good starting point for anyone. Everyone understands what its like to "line up" on a full ball hit, first. Then, based on where the object ball is in relation to the pocket, find a relatively reliable point of contact/shot line (all of this done while standing up, before getting down).

I don't care what technique you use. Everyone should experiment with them all to find what you like best....or invent your own through practice, experimentation, etc. Why does anyone have to choose a specific "technique"?

Has anyone else here had problems trying to figure out aim? Sure, we've all been there. Things like Spin, Squirt, Finding the line of the shot, Throw...they've given us all problems, right? Here's a secret. I'd like to introduce you to a system I've developed called the Matt_24 Starter Aim. For $99.95 I'll give you the secrets to make YOU shoot pool like a PRO! I'm KIDDING, I'm KIDDING. Have a great weekend.

A key is how the player transitions their cue and body from the erect stance behind the full line to "getting down" on the contact point. "I just sort of figure it out by feel" works for some, like you, and that's fine, but not for all.

A reason for overcuts is making too large an adjustment, the difference between the line of centers of the ob and cb (the "full line) and the hit on the contact point is a tiny distance for a faraway shot. If the cue ball is traveling 8 feet into the ob to a cut a ball left, it needs go to the right tiny fractions of an inch per foot of travel off the "full line" to play the cut.

Put differently, the strongest players tend to miss with undercuts and a lot of amateurs struggle with overcutting shots.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
1. Rear foot on the shot line.
2. Go down with your shoulder and chest section on that shot line.
3. Chin, bridge, grip AND elbow on that shot line.
4. Stroke through that shot line.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Everyone understands what its like to "line up" on a full ball hit, first.
I call this the "orientation alignment" - a consistent starting place for CB/OB alignment that makes every shot "familiar".

Another version is to initially line up center-to-edge (CB center to OB edge). It gives you the same kind of consistent beginning orientation, but in the middle of all possible cuts (and close to the most used ones). I theorize that this is one of the (largely unrecognized) good parts of CTE.

pj
chgo

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A key is how the player transitions their cue and body from the erect stance behind the full line to "getting down" on the contact point. "I just sort of figure it out by feel" works for some, like you, and that's fine, but not for all.

A reason for overcuts is making too large an adjustment, the difference between the line of centers of the ob and cb (the "full line) and the hit on the contact point is a tiny distance for a faraway shot. If the cue ball is traveling 8 feet into the ob to a cut a ball left, it needs go to the right tiny fractions of an inch per foot of travel off the "full line" to play the cut.

Put differently, the strongest players tend to miss with undercuts and a lot of amateurs struggle with overcutting shots.

I agree. And...I was taught by Max Eberle 20 years ago how to find the line and it was invaluable. But, I've taken what he showed me, and also kind of experimented with it for even more success. I shouldn't over-estimate my "feel" approach. And I apologize if I did. Max teaching me how to find the line was so valuable. I was doing it right on most shots without knowing how...but he showed me WHAT I was doing.