revo...a bangers perspective

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After quite a bit of contemplating I decided to join the dark side and ordered a revo 12.9 unlilok for a predator blak 4 I have had for several years. The reason I chose to get one is that I have decided to quit swapping out the dozen or so cues I have and just stick to one cue. The cue I decided to stick with is the predator and have been playing with it for 2 months straight. All of my cues have regular maple shafts except for the predators 314 shaft. I have never realreally had an issue in my playing level swapping out cues ever so often.

One other thing. Like i said I am a banger and admit I dont know chit from china about all the terms people on here have given in their revo reviews like squirt ...swerve ...deflection and so on.

I ordered the shaft Tuesday a week ago and received it this past Monday. The first thing I noticed was its the lightest shaft I have ever held....at leat it feels that way. The second thing I noticed was its the smoothest shaft I have ever held. So it sat in my case all week until league tonight.

I had intended to get there early and practice with it but it did not happen. So ....the first time I shot with it was in my 8 ball match. I shot good but not good enough and lost 4-1 in a 4-4 match. It's par for the course lately as I always start out slow and my 8 ball game has sort of fallen of a ledge lately it seems like.

45 minutes later I play 9 ball vs a 7 and I am a 6. It seemed like me and the cue both woke up and I was not missing a thing. Dont know how to explain it but the revo has more power than any shaft I have ever played with. The cue ball moves more effortlessly than I am used to and got me out of shape a couple of times but the cue is accurate and made me more confident to make shots I probably would have played safe with the 314 shaft. Draw shots have always been a weakness with me and the revo makes them with ease....actually made them too easy and I scratched twice on draw shots that would never have happened with a maple shaft.

Now all the above description sounds like I probably had a bad game. Far from it. I walloped that 7 by 46-28 in a 46-55 race even though I gave him bih on 2 scratches I never would have made with the 314. I just had to rein in my stroke a little and shot pretty dang good considering I had absolutely no practice time with a completely different type of shaft than I have ever played with before.

A friend came up and said he noticed I had a revo and asked about the deflection. I replied ...i dont know nothing about deflection all I can say is the cue ball goes where I aim it. He just laughed. I know its too early to tell if ....or how much it will or will not improve my game but all I can say is I love how it plays.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After quite a bit of contemplating I decided to join the dark side and ordered a revo 12.9 unlilok for a predator blak 4 I have had for several years. The reason I chose to get one is that I have decided to quit swapping out the dozen or so cues I have and just stick to one cue. The cue I decided to stick with is the predator and have been playing with it for 2 months straight. All of my cues have regular maple shafts except for the predators 314 shaft. I have never realreally had an issue in my playing level swapping out cues ever so often.

One other thing. Like i said I am a banger and admit I dont know chit from china about all the terms people on here have given in their revo reviews like squirt ...swerve ...deflection and so on.

I ordered the shaft Tuesday a week ago and received it this past Monday. The first thing I noticed was its the lightest shaft I have ever held....at leat it feels that way. The second thing I noticed was its the smoothest shaft I have ever held. So it sat in my case all week until league tonight.

I had intended to get there early and practice with it but it did not happen. So ....the first time I shot with it was in my 8 ball match. I shot good but not good enough and lost 4-1 in a 4-4 match. It's par for the course lately as I always start out slow and my 8 ball game has sort of fallen of a ledge lately it seems like.

45 minutes later I play 9 ball vs a 7 and I am a 6. It seemed like me and the cue both woke up and I was not missing a thing. Dont know how to explain it but the revo has more power than any shaft I have ever played with. The cue ball moves more effortlessly than I am used to and got me out of shape a couple of times but the cue is accurate and made me more confident to make shots I probably would have played safe with the 314 shaft. Draw shots have always been a weakness with me and the revo makes them with ease....actually made them too easy and I scratched twice on draw shots that would never have happened with a maple shaft.

Now all the above description sounds like I probably had a bad game. Far from it. I walloped that 7 by 46-28 in a 46-55 race even though I gave him bih on 2 scratches I never would have made with the 314. I just had to rein in my stroke a little and shot pretty dang good considering I had absolutely no practice time with a completely different type of shaft than I have ever played with before.

A friend came up and said he noticed I had a revo and asked about the deflection. I replied ...i dont know nothing about deflection all I can say is the cue ball goes where I aim it. He just laughed. I know its too early to tell if ....or how much it will or will not improve my game but all I can say is I love how it plays.

Welcome to the dark side!!!!

BTW, I know EXACTLY what you mean. My win percentage with 10 ghost went from 56% to 74% favorite when I switched to the revo.

Now, my 14.1 % has went the other direction.

It does not make sense but I play 14.1 much better with my wooden shaft. I'm hoping that my 14.1 game will jump like my 8 ball, 9 ball, 10 ball and American rotation games did.

Congrats and I hope your game gets very strong!!!!

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I consider myself a banger too but I know what all the terms mean and do because many years ago I was around many strong players and pros and learned a lot about everything. I've been shooting with the Revo for past 19months and it's awesome. I opted for the 12.4 though as I prefer thinner shafts. The shaft definitely has made me play better and better each time out but I haven't hit a ball on a 9 footers in 10years so no clue how I'd fair on that size table

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
Told ya so!!! Still waiting on a 12.4 to have fitted to my Schon. But the Revo BK is IMHO worth the bucks.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know dork about deflection....
Good choice on the REVO....use it on any cue(with an adaptor) and you'll have fun with it. Best enjoyed when played with.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is actually the perfect post for ANY cue or shaft not just the revo. If you pick up a cue and it feels good and gives you confidence PLAY WITH IT!!! Lol it’s really that damn simple!!

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear allot of conversation about 12.4 vs 12.9 never taper lengths or the different diameter shafts weights ? I have heard allot of how 'smooth' they are and that they feel light.

Anyone here that knows how to measure taper take a caliper to one ? Put one on a scale ?

Have a good day,

-Kat,

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Used To Think CF Was The Cat's Meow But I Might Be Wrong.

Two very good players at Blue Fin Billiards told me this past week they were switching back to maple shafts and abandoning CF shafts.
One player has the Revo and the other has both Cuetec and Revo CF shafts. Both of these players are top notch performers and have
won regional tournaments and one of these guys is nationally recognized. My point is mentioning this is I am not referring to players that
are impetuous, fickle, tentative minded or unfamilar with high end cues and equipment. They are top notch players whom are extremely
knowledgeable in all aspects of pool playing and both also build and repair pool cues. In other words, neither guy is a slouch when it comes
to the game we all love so much. I don't know what the future is for CF shafts but maybe. just maybe, it will become a novelty that fades.
If CF shafts are still the craze in 2021, then the technology will have successfully passed the test of time that ultimately is the final judge.

Matt B.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is actually the perfect post for ANY cue or shaft not just the revo. If you pick up a cue and it feels good and gives you confidence PLAY WITH IT!!! Lol it’s really that damn simple!!

Thanks . With all the posts concerning basically having to learn to shoot all over again I was leery of spending that kind of money for just a shaft. Then I thought if I did not like it I could probably get most if not all of my money back with the demand it currently has.

I would describe my stroke as firm ...ingrained by years of playing in bars with crappy tables... Worn felt and dirty balls. A firm stroke cuts down on bad rolls. I quickly learned last night the revo requires more finesse and less power.

It took me a couple racks in 8 ball to get adjusted to aiming....after missing a couple shots I should not have missed lol. After that match me and the cue got along just fine in 9 ball never missing a shot I should not have . Just gotta rein in my stroke on draw shots.

For not knowing what I am doing I think I adjust fairly quickly. Probably due to playing with all kinds of cues I have in my closet on a regular basis. Also I seem to adjust rather quickly on different tables . I used to play at a bar on Friday and Saturday nights. Play league on well kept valleys in a pool hall on Sunday and Wednesday nights. played in a money league on gold crowns on tuesday nights. I played about the same on all of them. I never complained about table conditions like I read so much on here. I just enjoyed playing pool no matter the equipment or environment. You tend to play better when you enjoy it instead of complaining about it. :grin-square:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carbon shaft cues do play different to wood ones. I prefer the carbon composite myself. For those who have never tried them before they are different. And if the right tip is on the carbon shaft that does make a real big difference. I find that most who are used to a wood cue, when switching to carbon, end up preferring a grade softer tip. So if they normally play with a medium, will play better with a medium soft to a soft tip. I have no idea as to why, but my testing has most often showed this result.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two very good players at Blue Fin Billiards told me this past week they were switching back to maple shafts and abandoning CF shafts.
One player has the Revo and the other has both Cuetec and Revo CF shafts. Both of these players are top notch performers and have
won regional tournaments and one of these guys is nationally recognized. My point is mentioning this is I am not referring to players that
are impetuous, fickle, tentative minded or unfamilar with high end cues and equipment. They are top notch players whom are extremely
knowledgeable in all aspects of pool playing and both also build and repair pool cues. In other words, neither guy is a slouch when it comes
to the game we all love so much. I don't know what the future is for CF shafts but maybe. just maybe, it will become a novelty that fades.
If CF shafts are still the craze in 2021, then the technology will have successfully passed the test of time that ultimately is the final judge.

Matt B.

Hi Matt,

I know only one really strong player that says what you described. However, I do know several active pros and each and everyone of them believes CF will take continue to take the lions share of the cue market. However, the custom makers/owners will still be there.....just not as many of them, that all.

Which way will it go? Really expensive pieces of wood be a thing of the past or will the giant manufacturers with their millions put their eggs in the wrong basket?

Time will.tell Sir. Unfortunately for one of them, them time may be even shorter than thought.

BTW, I still LOVE your cues!!!!

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member

Matt B.

Matt, can you elaborate why they are switching back?

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Matt B.

I am pretty sure the craze will last well past 2021. The fact they’re practically indestructible will be a huge selling point among most players. I expect the market to get more confusing with more companies jumping in and a wider variety of tapers and tip sizes to choose from. Personally, that’s what I’m waiting for. I would also like to see some independent studies showing comparisons to LDS wood shafts which will inevitably happen, if they haven’t happened already.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t really care wht pro players are using. None of us play on that level. I just know what feels good to me.
I don’t think carbon fiber shafts will completely take the place of wood and more then I thought low deflection shafts would become the only alternative. It’s just another choice. Some like it. Some don’t and that’s fine

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m thinking of getting one for my cuetec r360. I’ve been playing with it for several years and like it but I want to give the cf a shot. Is cuetec selling whole cues with a cf shaft or just the shaft? I’m not sure what size cf shaft fits the r360 butt

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m thinking of getting one for my cuetec r360. I’ve been playing with it for several years and like it but I want to give the cf a shot. Is cuetec selling whole cues with a cf shaft or just the shaft? I’m not sure what size cf shaft fits the r360 butt
Here are the options for cynergy shafts https://www.cuetec.com/product-category/cynergy-shafts/ . I'm pretty sure you can pick one to match Cuetec's butt.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CF Shafts Might Not Be For Everyone Is All I'm Suggesting.......

gregnice37,

I can't state with certainty their overall evaluation of CF shafts but I'll give it a try.
One player is in his late 40's while the other players is in his late fifties age range.
When they initially started playing with the CF shafts, both had a period of adjustment
for their aiming systems and it seemed like it was of short duration based upon their
prior comments. One of the players I spend more time with and he's the stronger of
the two and is likely the most knowledgeable as well. He also has the Cuetec & Revo
shafts in both sizes so he has a broader experience using different brand CF shafts.

After becoming more accustomed to playing with their CF shafts, I could discern certain
aspects of their game were better. However, since I was familar their pool skills, I felt that
the delicate side of their game did not improve and in fact, had suffered. And darn if this
type of playing position didn't present itself at most critical times in a game or match. Both
players indicated that they could control the cue ball "more reliably" for attaining preferred
shape when a more delicate movement of the cue ball was needed using maple vs CF shafts.

However, on long shots, bank or frozen rail shots and positon play requiring 2 and 3 rails for
attaining shape, the CF shafts offered superiority. Nonetheless, I am presuming that from their
perspectives, the superiority of CF shafts over maple shafts was not really all inclusive and in
their judgement, an important part of their overall game actually wasn't as strong with CF shafts.

I know that with one of the players, we regularly do the spot shot drill where you take cue ball in
hand in the kitchen and place an object ball on the spot. Choose a corner pocket and shoot the
object ball into that pocket that now becomes the only pocket you can use. After pocketing the
object ball, leave the cue ball as it lays and respot a object ball. You must pocket that ball into the
same corner pocket and you repeat this over and over to see how many you can consecutively
pocket. Keep count and when you miss, start over with cue ball in the kitchen but use the other
corner pocket repeating the drill. The cue ball only goes in the kitchen when you miss the pocket.

How many can you run? Do you have a preference for the left or right corner pocket. Does your
dominant eye ever come into play? This is a great drill and gosh, anyone ever playing a ring game
knows that sooner or later when there's cash on the line, the 5 or 10 ball gets spotted for your turn.

Well, I know one of the players pool skills really well and we often practice this drill to see if he can
beat his consecutive high runs to either pocket and he does have a favorite side just like everyone
or at least I've found it to be that way when you reach double digit average runs. Frankly, I've never
met a strong player that didn't when practicing this drill so the count is higher for one corner or other.
So naturally I suggested that since we already knew his high runs for the both pockets when doing
this drill, let's see how much higher a run he could get using CF shafts since his high runs with this
drill were already achieved using original maple shafts and not LD shafts or anything else. IMO, this
was the most fair test other than by actually playing with the shafts & winning more and just playing
better. This allowed him to also develop real empirical info that correlated to CF and maple shafts.

After doing this drill many times using both Revo shafts & Cuetec CF shaft, the player's high run for
either pocket was never duplicated and in fact, his runs were appreciably lower with the CF shafts
by 7 & 9 balls for the left and right corner pockets. His runs using maple shafts were much higher
than when he played with the CF shafts and you could see why too or at least he and I could spot it.
Since you are always playing shape on a newly spotted object ball, keeping the cue ball movement
within essentially a 1/2 table space after pocketing the inital spot shot is a key consideration. IMO,
the maple shafts actually performed better for that player than his CF shafts and I observed the cue
ball movement was smoother, more precise and better measured when he used maple vs CF shafts.

I am not here to knock CF shafts and personally, I think that it could be the harbinger of future things
to come with composite materials or other new things when it comes to pool cues. Personally, I had
some aiming issues with the CF shafts after playing with deflection for 58 years so switching at this
point is just something I'm inherently resisting. In the final analysis, I submit that until players start
duplicating the records established by some of the Legends of Pool playing in pool rooms with no air
conditioning, slower pool cloths & using original maple shafts too, then the jury is still out on CF shafts.

Matt B.

Last edited:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Had a lesson with Mike Sigel and he specifically mentioned how much easier my cue draws than his. He wanted to "look at the tip", and didn't really seem to be all that familiar with Revos. I explained to him that it is a carbon fiber shaft, and supposedly the energy transfer is more effecient.

He hasn't played with one, and didn't ask to play with mine, but did mention that I was getting a great amount of draw for the stroke I was putting on the ball..