Cheap a** cues

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So finish turning my router mount into an engine mount for a 68 olds and am ready to mount up my first cue refinish. I measure out 29 inches off of one of the cheap ace cues I have in the shop and start cutting. I hit something hard halfway through and immediately stop. I look in the cut and see threads. SOB. They put a weight bolt in the middle. I pull off the rubber bumper and sure enough a solid piece of wood. I looked at the other cues and saw they were the same cues.... Damn. I have some Dufferins that I forgot to bring today. So I put in the square of poplar that I rounded with my router last week and tested the cuesmith drive spur I got this week. Worked like a champ

Question is: what percentage of house cues are built this way. I assume the Dufferins will be built correctly but what others should I avoid?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
So finish turning my router mount into an engine mount for a 68 olds and am ready to mount up my first cue refinish. I measure out 29 inches off of one of the cheap ace cues I have in the shop and start cutting. I hit something hard halfway through and immediately stop. I look in the cut and see threads. SOB. They put a weight bolt in the middle. I pull off the rubber bumper and sure enough a solid piece of wood. I looked at the other cues and saw they were the same cues.... Damn. I have some Dufferins that I forgot to bring today. So I put in the square of poplar that I rounded with my router last week and tested the cuesmith drive spur I got this week. Worked like a champ

Question is: what percentage of house cues are built this way. I assume the Dufferins will be built correctly but what others should I avoid?

Lol Titlist and other Brunswick house cues are like that too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
If you look at them closely, you can see the joint if there's a connecting screw in the middle.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Put a strong magnet on the cue and it should tell you if there is a screw or rod in there. The magnet will not pick up stainless but in cheap cues stainless is unlikely.
Great idea. I used to do metal salvage/scrap-ing for a job, magnets were essential to tell some metals. I would have never thought to do the same with a cue. You could even use a cheap (non digital) stud finder to pinpoint where the metal was in the cue. Thanks for the learnin'.