Have you ever used a name other than your own playing pool?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fake ID

I was up in Marion Indiana and bought a drivers license off a kid named Michael Hulse so I went by Mike Hulse until the police ended up taking it in Chicago.....they raided a bar I was at and found two different IDs on me, they took it and told me to NOT come back to that county until I was 21.....I went directly across the street to another bar and had a beer.... that experience made me thirsty! :thumbup:

A scary fake ID story: I knew two brothers that wore their hair anywhere from clean shaven and crew cuts to beards and hair halfway down their backs. One got his license to operate crew boats up to about two hundred feet long, then used his brother's ID to pass the test to get his brother a license to operate the same boats!

My experience was most people didn't read the ID after I pulled it out. My ID was accepted for me to be twenty-one many a time when I was fifteen. My older friends thought it was unfair I was a privileged customer and they were given the boot!

Hu

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I drove a cab in my early 20's, I used to go into a room in Silver Spring on my lunch hour, and with a big metal taxicab button it took about two minutes to be branded as "Taxi" for the rest of my pool life. I think about 2% of the players I've met over the years know my real name.

Of course back then just about everyone in pool rooms had some sort of a nickname. Some of my favorites were Crip, Shakey, Half Man, The Riverboat Nitshit, Crazy Jerry, and my favorite of all, a guy in Rockville who was affectionately known as "Six Pack of Gonorrhea", or just "Six Pack" for short.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Years ago in small bars, picking up a little easy cash, usually no more than $5 a game, I'd write on the chalkboard the first name that popped into my head. Sometimes I'd forget which name I wrote, and I'd lose track of when it was my game/turn. Eventually I ended up sticking with a single letter after that, like K or M. I never lost track of when it was my turn anymore. But then I just started writing BC. Now, 30 years later, it's funny how so many people locally call me "BC", or "Beast", and probably don't even know my name! :eek:

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I drove a cab in my early 20's, I used to go into a room in Silver Spring on my lunch hour, and with a big metal taxicab button it took about two minutes to be branded as "Taxi" for the rest of my pool life. I think about 2% of the players I've met over the years know my real name.

Of course back then just about everyone in pool rooms had some sort of a nickname. Some of my favorites were Crip, Shakey, Half Man, The Riverboat Nitshit, Crazy Jerry, and my favorite of all, a guy in Rockville who was affectionately known as "Six Pack of Gonorrhea", or just "Six Pack" for short.

I also once won a pool tournament at George Washington University by using a med school friend's ID card. (I never went to GW.) After winning it, I could've gone to a regional tournament in Chapel Hill, but I had to give it a pass because too many players at Carolina knew me from when I played there while attending Duke. I never was a fan of what we used to call "social embarrassment."

Followup: A few months later, I was out in Berkeley, and the runner-up in that GW tournament happened to pass me on the street and greeted me with a "Chris! Fancy meeting you way out here!" He had a good laugh when I explained what I'd done, and said he might've done the same thing himself.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No - not at pool.

Local fast food places ask for a name when the take your order. I got into an argument once with a woman who insisted her name was Al and the food was hers.

After that I thought about an unusual name to use and came up with Elroy. In fast food places I'm Elroy. In a pool hall I don't give a name unless someone asks and then it's just Al.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris...I'm amazed that you don't know Bruce! He's been here almost as long as us, and never really shied away from his name. Bruce is okay people. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

What is your first name?

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
You used your own name when you slept with a girl I was dating in NC.
Low and dirty thing to do. Still waiting for an apology.

Back when I was on the road gambling I used 3 aliases, Mike from Indiana, Chris from Missouri and Butch from Tennessee.

This is the story of how they almost got backed to play each other to see who the best young player was in the country.

https://youtu.be/GA3NPNA61yw

How about you, ever had to use a name other than your own for any reason?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
1. I'm not good enough to need an alias. I could get as much action as I want to. (also see nr. 2)

2. I've never ripped anybody off.

3. I have sort of a nickname, given to me by my fellow players, not for ability but other reasons. I like it, but I'd never introduce myself with that name.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

mindblown.gif

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I know right.
It was my birthday and there was a huge tournament in NC.

A really good Indy player, a friend, the girl I was taking, Doug Smith, and me all went.

CJ took his liberties and knew the whole time.
He touched her inside.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know right.
It was my birthday and there was a huge tournament in NC.

A really good Indy player, a friend, the girl I was taking, Doug Smith, and me all went.

CJ took his liberties and knew the whole time.
He touched her inside.

1507212414-ryan-gosling-laughing-crazy-stupid-love.gif

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Couldn't have been me!?!

Couldn't have been me, must have been one of my alter egos! :shrug:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lucky Indeed!

You're lucky to have the name "Taxi," in this day and age you would have been stuck with Uber. :groucho:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
At the dive bars on South Broadway in Denver I called myself Broadway Joe, a famous poolplayer who has never lost a game on South Broadway.
We had drunk guys believing I was the famous but nonexistent Broadway Joe..."is he really that Broadway Joe guy?"

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never had the heart to tell them, I was a fictional pool character.

At the dive bars on South Broadway in Denver I called myself Broadway Joe, a famous poolplayer who has never lost a game on South Broadway.
We had drunk guys believing I was the famous but nonexistent Broadway Joe..."is he really that Broadway Joe guy?"

That's funny! :thumbup: I had people that ended up being good friends that thought my name was Mike. I never had the heart to tell them, I was a fictional pool character.

Rumor has it there's a guy calling himself "Corona Joe" that's been doing a world tour lately. :dance:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
That's funny! :thumbup: I had people that ended up being good friends that thought my name was Mike. I never had the heart to tell them, I was a fictional pool character.

Rumor has it there's a guy calling himself "Corona Joe" that's been doing a world tour lately. :dance:

I kicked Corona Joe out of the pool room.