One Pocket break question?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
If I were playing in a league, I'd expect it. That's the home of chickenshit calls. If we were playing for money, we wouldn't be playing for enough ( no matter how much) for me to stoop low enough to call that.

I wouldn't be chicekn shit enough to miscue on a 1P break... how lame is that... the person deserves to lose their break, if they, ya know, can't break ;)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
From onepocket.org Rules:

2.2 The opening break begins with ball in hand behind the head string. On the break, the cue ball may contact either a cushion or any ball in the rack first, but in either case, after contacting at least one ball, an object ball must be pocketed, or the cue ball or at least one object ball must contact a rail, otherwise it is a one foul penalty. As long as a legal stroke is employed from behind the head string on the break, the incoming player must play the balls where they lie – there are no re-racks for a pocket scratch or failure to contact a cushion or pocket a ball on the break.

Rules state it's a foul. The old timers rule that the game doesn't start until a legal ball is struck on the break (1 ball in 9-ball, etc) does not exist anymore. Doesn't mean you can't play like that, it's just not what's written in any rule book anymore. Heck, I've played in places that wouldn't allow the cueball to hit a rail first and they stated that the cueball must hit a rail afterwards. It's not in a rule book but it was the house rule so you played that way.

Dave

that sounds like chicken shit to me ;)

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
Ditto. Incoming players has balll in hand in the kitchen and can do anything they want except take original breakers pocket. Kind of like breaking and scratching off the stack without moving balls.

Nick

Those were my thoughts. Lots of guys scratch off the stack on the break. They always owe one and the cue ball goes in the kitchen. I am an old timer. That is why I had to think about it for a minute. It is true that it has been the custom that the game doesn't until the balls are broken but a scratch on the break in one pocket, you always owe one. Even back then.

The only thing I had to think about was retaining the pocket selection. It is the same as scratching off the stack so pocket selection remains.

9 ball we didn't count a miscue on the break because it was 2 foul pushout back then anyway. The guy just lost the break or his opponent could make him break again.