Single vs double elim differences, my personal experience

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since the US Open did this, I do think that there is a pretty big difference in what may be the outcome of an event.

This weekend I played in a charity handicapped TAP tournament for someone in a league that passed away to help the family. They split funds to top two finishers and the charity.

They had 40 players, first 2 rounds were double elim, then went to single, with alternate break. I lost my second match 7-2 to a good player, I missed maybe 2 balls, he ran out or played good safe every time.

But since that was double elim I was still in it. Next round or two in, that 7 lost to a 3 because he hung up a few 9 balls. So this 7, who was probably the best player in the event got kicked out, even though both he and I were at 1 loss. I was still in it, and ended up getting to finals (I was a 6 playing mostly 3s and one 5).

If that event was double elimination that other guy would have probably also been in the finals or possibly would have beaten me on the way, we really were the two top shooters there. The only reason, in my opinion, that he did not get to the end was due to a few shots he left for a 3 to tap in, and single elimination, but because he had a bit of misfortune in playing a low handicap and leaving him a few easy games, he went home and I split the finals for $200 each. Half of which I donated back, although the guy I split with did not LOL. I thought he would follow my example but nope, just grabbed his $200 and left. :frown:

Good post. The system is defintely flawed. I made a recent post about how it screws up the seeding unless they randomly draw (which many don't): https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=492580

Question: Does anyone know of other sports that utilize double-elimination particularly at the upper levels?

All wrestling events are double elimination. They run their brackets slightly different towards the end though. In wrestling, if you are on the winner's side and you make it to the end (aka hot seat match in pool), this is considered the finals and the winner takes 1st place and the loser takes 2nd place. If you lose prior to the finals (aka hot seat match in pool) you go into the loser's side bracket and have a chance to finish in 3rd place if you win out all of you matches. However, you never have a chance to make it back to the winner's side to challenge the 1st and 2nd place finishers.

I like this format because you never end up having to beat the hot seat winner twice to win.

Example from NCAA Wrestling: https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2019/03/...ps-2019-125-pound-bracket-seeds-matchups.html

Last edited:

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly right. The rules were not changed. The format was made public before the event started. Everyone knew what it would take to reach the single elimination stage, and everyone knew that it would take four straight victories to win the title once they got there.

America is behind the times in not having adopted this format, used in WPA events such as the World 9-ball Championships, the China Open and the All Japan Chaqmpionships, and also in all Eurotour events, sooner. The rest of the world has figured out that single elimination is what makes pool exciting in the late rounds. Now that America has had a sampling of this wonderful tournament methodology, we can only hope to see it more often in these American parts.

If it's so exciting then why not just play single elimination all the way, you want excitement BAM.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, and the college baseball world series, too.
From Wikipedia:

The tournament is unique in that it features four tiers of competition, alternating between double-elimination brackets and best-of-three series. In fact, throughout the entire 64-team tournament, a team can lose a total of four games and still be crowned champions.

The extreme result with four lost games could look like:
LWWWWW-LWW-LWWWWW-LWW

CaptainBly

Registered
Since the US Open did this, I do think that there is a pretty big difference in what may be the outcome of an event.

This weekend I played in a charity handicapped TAP tournament for someone in a league that passed away to help the family. They split funds to top two finishers and the charity.

They had 40 players, first 2 rounds were double elim, then went to single, with alternate break. I lost my second match 7-2 to a good player, I missed maybe 2 balls, he ran out or played good safe every time.

But since that was double elim I was still in it. Next round or two in, that 7 lost to a 3 because he hung up a few 9 balls. So this 7, who was probably the best player in the event got kicked out, even though both he and I were at 1 loss. I was still in it, and ended up getting to finals (I was a 6 playing mostly 3s and one 5).

If that event was double elimination that other guy would have probably also been in the finals or possibly would have beaten me on the way, we really were the two top shooters there. The only reason, in my opinion, that he did not get to the end was due to a few shots he left for a 3 to tap in, and single elimination, but because he had a bit of misfortune in playing a low handicap and leaving him a few easy games, he went home and I split the finals for $200 each. Half of which I donated back, although the guy I split with did not LOL. I thought he would follow my example but nope, just grabbed his $200 and left. :frown:
I played in the same tournament, I won my first 3 matches and then lost my 4th and was out. I don't mind the switch to single as we all knew that was the deal. The biggest problem I have, is having 2's in the tournament. In 9 ball beating a 2 who can run out 5 to 6 balls if you leave them is tough. I lost to a 2 that I had beat earlier in the day. I missed position on the nine and played a safety. Left the nine frozen on a rail and the cue ball frozen at the other end. He banked it 18 ft to win the match and knock me out.
I would like to see a minimum of 3 games for 9 ball, 2 is ok in 8-ball but in 9-ball there is to much luck to only need 2 games.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If it's so exciting then why not just play single elimination all the way, you want excitement BAM.
Because it is believed that the dead money will not enter a single-elimination event, and the dead money is required to get the live money to play.

With a lot more added money, I'm pretty sure it would be single elimination, like the World Snooker Championships. Out in the first round of those and you get $13,000. I'm not sure, but I think there is no entry fee.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in the same tournament, I won my first 3 matches and then lost my 4th and was out. I don't mind the switch to single as we all knew that was the deal. The biggest problem I have, is having 2's in the tournament. In 9 ball beating a 2 who can run out 5 to 6 balls if you leave them is tough. I lost to a 2 that I had beat earlier in the day. I missed position on the nine and played a safety. Left the nine frozen on a rail and the cue ball frozen at the other end. He banked it 18 ft to win the match and knock me out.
I would like to see a minimum of 3 games for 9 ball, 2 is ok in 8-ball but in 9-ball there is to much luck to only need 2 games.

Well if you were there then it was nice meeting you, even if I did not hehe :smile:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because it is believed that the dead money will not enter a single-elimination event, and the dead money is required to get the live money to play.

With a lot more added money, I'm pretty sure it would be single elimination, like the World Snooker Championships. Out in the first round of those and you get $13,000. I'm not sure, but I think there is no entry fee.

What would happen I wonder if you had all major events limited to 128 or 64 players but you get a stronger average field, instead of more but weaker players. I am guessing the money added should not matter much to how many players there are but rather how much benefit overall the sponsors get from fans. Then you had some events that were for A+ players and under like Joss tour, etc... but US Open and such was for top players only. That may be the beginning of a new pro tour vs just a mess of events with anyone playing.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Obviously, this would be best, but until pool prize money escalates, it won't attract big enough fields. At the US Open tennis last year, first round losers got $54,000. Even if you draw Nadal or Serena, you get a big paycheck.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Obviously, this (SE only) would be best, but until pool prize money escalates, it won't attract big enough fields. At the US Open tennis last year, first round losers got $54,000. Even if you draw Nadal or Serena, you get a big paycheck.
But an unranked player would have had to win multiple qualifying matches to get to the "first" round, and maybe would have had to win a lottery.

The total prize fund for that event is over $50,000,000 and attendance is over 700,000 (presumably person-sessions).

For now a major reason to have large fields in big pool tournaments is that all the room-nights make the hotel happy. Large fields are not a good thing for events that are supported by broadcasting, as demonstrated by most of the Matchroom events.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a tourney director and LO, there are several parameters (excluding fees/payouts) that define your tourney, some of which you have control over and some that you cannot control.

1. Overall time length of tourney
2. Number of tables available
3. Bracket structure
4. Race lengths (includes handicapping)
5. Field size

Generally speaking, #3 and #4 are inversely related, once #1, #2, and #5 are set. Expanding the bracket to full DE requires a shortening of race lengths and vice versa.
This is a dilemma I always face in league tourneys. Many players want longer races, and many players want the loss cushion that full DE provides. I always strive to fulfill my players' wishes, so at the start of each league season, at the captains meeting, we discuss the various formats available for the tourneys, and I let the captains decide which format they want....Single elim with long races, double elim with shorter races, or a hybrid with medium races. The fact is that you are never going to please everyone, so it's best to make it a democratic choice so that when the whiners do whine, you can say "This is what the league voted on".