Any guesses for maker? Mali maybe?

Beebop21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have had this for awhile, and still no idea who made it, though stylistically it seems very similar to early Mali like around the time period Mali just used those stickers just under the joint.

Anyone have thoughts who the maker might be? Seems intended to be bumper less from the get go.
a49ad349148df9348324e1a87254deaa.jpg
52b9bf32cfe84987cfd4c81dd53d876e.jpg
a82e6fe24487bd85a3c893fc757a469d.jpg
d3bc317306b6fa48bb14ad29c0fc72ce.jpg
46aacbb092ab4e2cfd35ba97b9171075.jpg
2ee490ce9e80c1b9c6850c802c7efbcf.jpg
9c121b846ae83e2c69fc1cf3eca7c03f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Beebop21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Doc. I had some doubt just because I couldn't find this particular one in any old Mali brochures, and wasn't aware he did anything one-off, but maybe he did early on.....

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I see Mali elements as well. However, this cue never had a bumper with that small recess in the buttplate. I haven't seen early Mali's that didn't have a bumper, but maybe there were some of them. Pretty neat cue.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see Mali elements as well. However, this cue never had a bumper with that small recess in the buttplate. I haven't seen early Mali's that didn't have a bumper, but maybe there were some of them. Pretty neat cue.

All the best,
WW

I noticed that.

Another option is a Rich Q.

Not certain. It is cool, and along the lines of a Mali or Rich.

There are other possibilities I think.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I noticed that.

Another option is a Rich Q.

Not certain. It is cool, and along the lines of a Mali or Rich.

There are other possibilities I think.

Yep. There is another good clue. The buttplate is a bit rounded at the bottom. If it were to have a bumper, that would not likely be the case. Although an early Mali would be a possibility, I would say probably not, Rich Q as you say, and maybe others. It reminds me of Gandy and others, though the designs are similar. The joint pin definitely does not look like Mali.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep. There is another good clue. The buttplate is a bit rounded at the bottom. If it were to have a bumper, that would not likely be the case. Although an early Mali would be a possibility, I would say probably not, Rich Q as you say, and maybe others. It reminds me of Gandy and others, though the designs are similar. The joint pin definitely does not look like Mali.

All the best,
WW

The rings do look sort of National/Gandy-ish.

It has so many familiar points.

Beebop21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks again guys.

The buttcap seems to be the thing that throws me off the most.....maybe it's not original. A couple of these makers I think had some lines without bumpers, but they all seemed to have much larger screws on those.

I doubt the joint was reworked.......so if it were just the pointed brass pin with aluminum collar, what would the most likely makers be?

A.E. Schmidt possibly? Karl Mayer (though I think his pins were more rounded)?

Doubt it helps at all, but the cue is personalized with a name etched in clean block letters in between the rings on the sleeve, and I think the cue spent pretty much it's whole life in MI.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a similar Gandy or National

More like National than Gandy, but there is overlap and they made some essentially identical cues.

I am a Gandy collector and might be interested. I am surprised I didn't spy it as National/Gandy right off actually.

I would have suspected an aluminum insert, but i guess it need not be.

Cool cue.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe difficult to visualize but, with minor modifications and refinish, that cue could come alive.

Attachments

• TOP 3.jpg
    TOP 3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 436

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe difficult to visualize but, with minor modifications and refinish, that cue could come alive.

I would probably say just try a polish. Not much finish left on it, but the aluminum tarnish is what really detracts from it.

Might just polish up nice without a full refinish.

Beebop21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just happened across this other thread, and pretty sure whoever made the cue in that thread made this one too.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...5&share_fid=2711&share_type=t&link_source=app

Am I thinking about it right that this could be a pre-Gandy Ricco Cervantes from 69 to 73 timeframe?

I'm trying to decide whether to sell it, just polish it up a bit, or have it rewrapped and refinished. If I just wanted to polish up the aluminum rings and joint some, anyone have any recommendations for how I should go about that?

Appreciate in advance any more thoughts anyone can provide.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mali made cues for Rich. So either way made by Mali. Main difference here would be what name the sticker had on it.