One Pocket break question?

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had this come up in our monthly 1 pocket tourney.
The player breaking miscues and the cue ball never touches the rack, it goes straight into the corner pocket.
What is the ruling?
Also, does the incoming player get to choose his/her pocket? Or did original player still get choice, since pocket was already designated?

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Breaker owes one. Keeps pocket choice.

Ditto. Incoming players has balll in hand in the kitchen and can do anything they want except take original breakers pocket. Kind of like breaking and scratching off the stack without moving balls.

Nick

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys, that's the way I resolved it. I just couldn't find it spelled out in my standard 1 pocket rules.

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
my guess

We had this come up in our monthly 1 pocket tourney.
The player breaking miscues and the cue ball never touches the rack, it goes straight into the corner pocket.
What is the ruling?
Also, does the incoming player get to choose his/her pocket? Or did original player still get choice, since pocket was already designated?

You might try 1pocket.org.

My guess would be that the would be breaker owes 1 ball and has the pocket he elected before the break shot.The breaker chose a pocket allready as it is assumed by the cueball placement rather then having him verbally call his pocket.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Where I play it's no harm, no foul, and you do it all over again. Kind of like getting remarried, except for the no harm, no foul, part. :smile:

Last edited:

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Where I play it's now harm, no foul, and you do it all over again. Kind of like getting remarried, except for the no harm, no foul, part. :smile:

Ditto, lol Tramp. If I'm playing a $100 set, it's a do over, no penalty. Most gents IMO play this way. Don't care if it's one hole, 8, 9 or 10 ball. Have only seen one jagoff call a foul in this circumstance. Go ahead, make my day, pump my adrenaline, you likely won't like it.

If it's a tourney, it's probably a different story, although the opponent may have discretion to call it or not. I hadn't ever played a one hole tourney. Do they exist? ;)

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Ditto, lol Tramp. If I'm playing a $100 set, it's a do over, no penalty. Most gents IMO play this way. Don't care if it's one hole, 8, 9 or 10 ball. Have only seen one jagoff call a foul in this circumstance. Go ahead, make my day, pump my adrenaline, you likely won't like it.

If it's a tourney, it's probably a different story, although the opponent may have discretion to call it or not. I hadn't ever played a one hole tourney. Do they exist? ;)

1000 percent with you on this one. I consider calling that a real chickenshit move.

That might be second only to the one where the player has BIH and places the CB, gets down on the shot, and then, after aiming for a second, makes a slight adjustment with his cue tip to the CB placement. I've seen that chickenshit call foul before too.Whatssamatta with people? :slap:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1000 percent with you on this one. I consider calling that a real chickenshit move.

That might be second only to the one where the player has BIH and places the CB, gets down on the shot, and then, after aiming for a second, makes a slight adjustment with his cue tip to the CB placement. I've seen that chickenshit call foul before too.Whatssamatta with people? :slap:

You guys are so nice. If I'm playing you 9 ball and miscue on the 9, I can just pick the QB up and reshoot it:eek:

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
You guys are so nice. If I'm playing you 9 ball and miscue on the 9, I can just pick the QB up and reshoot it:eek:

54 years. That's how long I've been playing. I've owned a room and been around this game daily. For as long as I've played, the gentlemanly thing was, the game doesn't start until you hit the rack.

There was this olden day concept, even older than me ... what was it? Oh yeah, the Golden Rule. That's it. Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you.

Now I'm not big on religion, but I think this rule could safely be used generically as a good reasonable person would do.

You play your way, I'll play mine, and if our paths meet, and this comes up, it will be our last game together.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
54 years. That's how long I've been playing. I've owned a room and been around this game daily. For as long as I've played, the gentlemanly thing was, the game doesn't start until you hit the rack.

There was this olden day concept, even older than me ... what was it? Oh yeah, the Golden Rule. That's it. Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you.

Now I'm not big on religion, but I think this rule could safely be used generically as a good reasonable person would do.

You play your way, I'll play mine, and if our paths meet, and this comes up, it will be our last game together.

If we are playing for shits and giggles... continue to break.. if for money or in league, you just fouled... if folks don't like it, ,,, next time trying hitting the cueball (that is not moving by the way) like someone other than a typical banger.... you do it enough, you'll learn son :)

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
If we are playing for shits and giggles... continue to break.. if for money or in league, you just fouled... if folks don't like it, ,,, next time trying hitting the cueball (that is not moving by the way) like someone other than a typical banger.... you do it enough, you'll learn son :)

If I were playing in a league, I'd expect it. That's the home of chickenshit calls. If we were playing for money, we wouldn't be playing for enough ( no matter how much) for me to stoop low enough to call that.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

You know what I think is even MORE chickenshit?
....demanding mercy.

You fouled...accept the consequences like a man......
...I've told my opponent to take the break over.....
....BUT THAT IS MY DECISION, NOT YOURS.

If a man told me I'd be chickenshit to call the foul.....
...I'm taking it....

And the price of one-pocket just went up.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A foul is a foul and this situation is a foul. Play the real rules all the time, if you don't it may start an argument when $$$$ are involved.

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
You know what I think is even MORE chickenshit?
....demanding mercy.

You fouled...accept the consequences like a man......
...I've told my opponent to take the break over.....
....BUT THAT IS MY DECISION, NOT YOURS.

If a man told me I'd be chickenshit to call the foul.....
...I'm taking it....

And the price of one-pocket just went up.

Agreed with this 100%. This is a foul....the one where the guy has BIH and moves it after getting down on the shot is different IMHO.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
From onepocket.org Rules:

2.2 The opening break begins with ball in hand behind the head string. On the break, the cue ball may contact either a cushion or any ball in the rack first, but in either case, after contacting at least one ball, an object ball must be pocketed, or the cue ball or at least one object ball must contact a rail, otherwise it is a one foul penalty. As long as a legal stroke is employed from behind the head string on the break, the incoming player must play the balls where they lie – there are no re-racks for a pocket scratch or failure to contact a cushion or pocket a ball on the break.

Rules state it's a foul. The old timers rule that the game doesn't start until a legal ball is struck on the break (1 ball in 9-ball, etc) does not exist anymore. Doesn't mean you can't play like that, it's just not what's written in any rule book anymore. Heck, I've played in places that wouldn't allow the cueball to hit a rail first and they stated that the cueball must hit a rail afterwards. It's not in a rule book but it was the house rule so you played that way.

Dave

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the clarification 12squared. Not playing by the rules is the exact reason every bar/pool hall has different rules: House rules=stupidity.

Thunderball

Auto rep for belly laughs
Silver Member
Who suggested he demanded mercy?

if you miscue on the break,your one pocket license will be suspended.

Six months...minimum. lol
But seriously, really, how does that happen? No break cue, lag speed or not much more, regular player...wow.
But I'm sure it happened (just not at all often).

You fellas are mixing your arguments with the game at hand imo.

9b..he gets a pass, 1h not so much.

1h is about execution of the small stuff (break most importantly) so yes, he fouls imo.
The game "starts" when he sends the cue up table.

All other games he gets a laugh and a redo.

It's the spirit of the game people..it's pretty simple if you come with that perspective.