Dennis Orcollo wins Gold

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis Orcollo won the gold medal in Ten Ball a little while ago at the 2019 SEA (Southeast Asia) Games being held in the Philippines. This is a very important Olympic style competition held annually in Southeast Asia. Players compete in all forms of sports - soccer, rugby, tennis, golf, bowling, billiards, swimming, gymnastics and many more. The competing countries include Thailand, Malaysia, Phillipines, Singapore, Viet Nam and several others.

Dennis had to win six straight matches, all races to nine, single elimination. I do know he beat Aloysius Yapp in the semis and Do The Kien from Viet Nam in the finals 9-8, with a stirring run out at hill-hill! These are both world class players. Carlo Biado also represented the Philippines in this event.

This is a very prestigious win and he will probably get something like a million P bonus for winning gold. That's 20K in our dollars.

This match was shown on live TV over there and Dennis' win will be front page sports news in all the newspapers today. Congrats to my buddy Dennis for being the Champion again. :thumbup:

Last edited:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the update Jay and congrats to Dennis. A deserving champion!! How did Biado place?

Pangit

Banned
Dennis Orcollo won the gold medal in Ten Ball a little while ago at the 2019 SEA (Southeast Asia) Games being held in the Philippines. This is a very important Olympic style competition held annually in Southeast Asia. Players compete in all forms of sports - soccer, rugby, tennis, golf, bowling, billiards, swimming, gymnastics and many more. The competing countries include Thailand, Malaysia, Phillipines, Singapore, Viet Nam and several others.

Dennis had to win six straight matches, all races to nine, single elimination. I do know he beat Aloysius Yapp in the semis and Do The Kien from Viet Nam in the finals 9-8, with a stirring run out at hill-hill! These are both world class players. Carlo Biado also represented the Philippines in this event.

This is a very prestigious win and he will probably get something like a million P bonus for winning gold. That's 20K in our dollars.

This match was shown on live TV over there and Dennis' win will be front page sports news in all the newspapers today. Congrats to my buddy Dennis for being the Champion again. :thumbup:

Those SEA games are always "must watch TV." :yeah:

Thanks for the update. :thumbup:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sea Games is an important step on the road to the olympics. So SE format, the wins over Yapp and Kein in semis and final and huge responsibility playing at home country - all make a great win and my congratulations!!!
BTW I found the video on youtube with streaming from 8th of December - yesterday and it was 10-ball where Dennis played Yapp. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OjmFr3x-bPo (this match is at the time 6h:40min or something close).
There is also a stream from today where Dennis plays Yapp but already 9-ball https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C_vnclRH82E.
Have not watched both but now I'm going to have some fun;)

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! What a great semis vs. Yapp in 10-ball it was.
Such a great quality: when it comes to the stream, camera's angle, players, level of playing. Just an amazing match to watch and even better for learning the game. You get everything needed for a thoughtful watching out there. That's why it definitely goes to my collection of favorite ones for learning the game and advising to do so for my students too.
Those who are lazy to watch it all...you could start from 8:29:36 when the score is 6:5 Dennis. You won't be dissappointed watching some incredible shots and outs. The level of playing in this match is just amazing and I could feel the pressure increasing with each following rack. Overall the deciding mistake Yapp had made in the final rack playing from snooker and giving more english when kicking the 1-ball.
Dennis has shown once more the character of a great champion. Bravo!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OjmFr3x-bPo

Last edited:

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player list?

Is there a list of players who entered the tournament and the brackets? Sounds like a tough tournament. Wondering if Chang, Wu or Ko brothers were there?

Could only Asians play in the tournament?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is there a list of players who entered the tournament and the brackets? Sounds like a tough tournament. Wondering if Chang, Wu or Ko brothers were there?

Could only Asians play in the tournament?

Only players from Southeast Asian countries. I don't think Taiwan participated in this event.
You can go to SEA Games 2019 schedule and find the results of the billiard events on there. It takes a little searching but everything is there. I'm thinking more like 32 players in each division. They had 9-Ball, Ten Ball, Carom and Snooker divisions.

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is he not going to be at the World 9 Ball in Qatar?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow! What a great semis vs. Yapp in 10-ball it was.
Such a great quality: when it comes to the stream, camera's angle, players, level of playing. Just an amazing match to watch and even better for learning the game. You get everything needed for a thoughtful watching out there. That's why it definitely goes to my collection of favorite ones for learning the game and advising to do so for my students too.
Those who are lazy to watch it all...you could start from 8:29:36 when the score is 6:5 Dennis. You won't be dissappointed watching some incredible shots and outs. The level of playing in this match is just amazing and I could feel the pressure increasing with each following rack. Overall the deciding mistake Yapp had made in the final rack playing from snooker and giving more english when kicking the 1-ball.
Dennis has shown once more the character of a great champion. Bravo!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OjmFr3x-bPo

Great video, thanks! Notice how they closed (zoomed in) on the balls between shots. And there was no overhead camera and it wasn't necessary. You could see each ball clearly with these balls. Some other television crews could learn from the guys who did this show.

Yapp is a terrific player and he gave nothing away to Dennis, who had to come with some great shots to win. How about the fantastic jump shot on the one at 6-5 and the big swerving masse on the one at 7-6. Dennis them made two good run outs at 7-6 and at 8-7 under pressure to take the match.

Warren Kiamco is playing in the 9-Ball and Chua and Ignazio played in the 9-Ball doubles. Efren won the bronze medal in Caroms.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is he not going to be at the World 9 Ball in Qatar?

I don't think so. He went home especially to represent his country at the SEA Games. He did what he wanted to do - win Gold. Now he can enjoy the holidays with his family.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I don't think so. He went home especially to represent his country at the SEA Games. He did what he wanted to do - win Gold. Now he can enjoy the holidays with his family.

I’m pleased to see Dennis came through for the gold....I was a bit worried about him.
He played terrible, for him, in Norfolk...and played the same with SVB in the long match.
...I don’t recall ever seeing Dennis when he looked like he couldn’t win before.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m pleased to see Dennis came through for the gold....I was a bit worried about him.
He played terrible, for him, in Norfolk...and played the same with SVB in the long match.
...I don’t recall ever seeing Dennis when he looked like he couldn’t win before.

He was worn out from all the travel and non stop playing. He needed to go home and take a break.

I see Kyaw from Myanmar and Kien from Vietnam are in the 9-Ball singles final. Kyaw just beat Yapp 9-6 and now Kien has a second chance to win a gold medal.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was worn out from all the travel and non stop playing. He needed to go home and take a break.

I see Kyaw from Myanmar and Kien from Vietnam are in the 9-Ball singles final. Kyaw just beat Yapp 9-6 and now Kien has a second chance to win a gold medal.

Yes, Dennis was worn out. Not making excuses for his losses but, if he had been a bit more rested, I believe his losses would have been much, much closer.

Even world champions have breaking points. We mere mortals can't comprehend things like that. Some of us think we can, but we can't.

DO, Alex, SVB and a couple more currently playing are IMO, the world's best of the best in physically challenging and mentally boggling formats that most all other pros cannot even begin to handle, much less thrive in.

CONGRATULATIONS Dennis!!!

Jeff

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great video, thanks! Notice how they closed (zoomed in) on the balls between shots. And there was no overhead camera and it wasn't necessary. You could see each ball clearly with these balls. Some other television crews could learn from the guys who did this show.

Yapp is a terrific player and he gave nothing away to Dennis, who had to come with some great shots to win. How about the fantastic jump shot on the one at 6-5 and the big swerving masse on the one at 7-6. Dennis them made two good run outs at 7-6 and at 8-7 under pressure to take the match.

Warren Kiamco is playing in the 9-Ball and Chua and Ignazio played in the 9-Ball doubles. Efren won the bronze medal in Caroms.
Yes, that was a clash of two tough opponents which produced such a thrilling match . Both players deserve some credits for what they had shown.
Of course I remember those terrific shots from Dennis) and he could answer with that tougher jump and run-out after Yapp did the same in a previous rack. It was great to watch how both of them could come with a SHOT when needed and both played very smart no matter offence or deffence. I was glad Dennis closed the match after Yapp misjudged the kick on the 1-ball leaving the open table.
Once again great performance and I've also enjoyed it without comments just the sound of the shots and colliding balls. No distractions for some thoughtful watching;)