Dave Piona Gone?

levartze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard earlier this evening that Dave Piona passed away earlier today. Is this true?

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
Yes, I heard from a reliable source that he has passed away. My blessings go out to those close to him and his family. I just saw him on Tuesday at the Broken Rack in Emeryville.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
levartze said:
I heard earlier this evening that Dave Piona passed away earlier today. Is this true?

This is very sad if it is true. I saw Dave & Chris last week at Hard Times in Sacramento and he told me they had been together for 16 years. John Henderson

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Frisco" Dave Piona was an old school rambling gambling man. He criss-crossed the nation, taking on all comers. Dave was not a great player, but he was a strong shortstop and a fearless gambler. He COULD play for the cheese. Kind of like an earlier version of Ronnie Wiseman.

I first met Dave in about 1968 in Saulsalito, CA, outside San Francisco. I had spent about a week around the Palace and Cochrans tangling with guys like Joe Smiley, Ronnie Barber, Filipino Gene and "Trees". I needed a breather and some softer action. I went into a poolroom down by the water and got in a game with some local guy and won about $50. I was thrilled to find a soft game.

Next thing I know, in walks a white guy with a huge "afro" adorning his head. Someone points me out to him and he comes over and asks me if I want to play. That's why I'm there so sure we get into a $5 9-Ball game. Afro head can play a little so I get down and really start trying to beat him. We end up battling until the place closes, and he says to me "I know a place that is open all night". I tell him I'm hungry and want to eat. So he goes with me to an all night coffee shop. He doesn't want to lose me.

That is when Dave Piona and I became friends. I told him I was on the road from Ohio and he told me all about the Bay area pool scene. I don't think we ever finished that game of 9-Ball. We broke even and I felt good about that, because I could see he could play. And he gave me mutual respect, even though I knew he was ready to tee it up again if I asked him to.

For the next 30 years or so, I would see Dave wherever pool was being played on the West Coast. And he would spring up back East as well. I know for a fact he made his biggest score at the Rack, winning 40 dimes one night. He told me the story later. He said he never had a bigger bankroll than $10,000 ever in his life, and after he won all that money he went back to his motel room and spread it out all over his bed and slept on it.

Dave and I made some money together a few times. The last time was about ten years ago at the Sands. Some rich farmer (Larry?) was there from Oklahoma and he liked to play Bank Pool. Dave steered him into me and we played 50 a game short rack. It took a while but I got him for eight games in the end. Dave and I chopped it up at breakfast.

We remained friends all those years from the first time we played in that little room. One other thing, he also warned me when I was getting dumped in Dayton. I was backing a well known Bank Pool player against David Sizemore. He blew the 400 I gave him and came to me and asked for more. Thanks to Dave, I cut my losses. I had made over $6,000 on this trip and was really pumped up. It could have been quite costly.

I would like to know about any funeral arrangements, if anyone knows. I may have their phone number myself, so I will call Christina now.

Last edited:

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
Geez, I certainly hope it's not true! Mike went on the road with Davy, so he has special ties to him. I sent off a quick email to Chris to find out. Hopefully, it's just a bad rumor. :eek:

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave Piona

I was able to find Dave in an old photo taken at one of the Reds tournaments in Houston, TX back about 1984. The photo was of Keith McCready, but Dave was in the background. This image was blown up quite a bit, so it's not very sharp.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,875

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert Dave and I made some money together a few times. The last time was about ten years ago at the Sands. Some rich farmer (Larry?) was there from Oklahoma and he liked to play Bank Pool. Dave steered him into me and we played 50 a game short rack. It took a while but I got him for eight games in the end. Dave and I chopped it up at breakfast. [/QUOTE said:
I first met Dave when he was with Kim Davenport down in So. California in Bellflower. He couldn't believe it when Kim wouldn't let him play one pocket with the goofy guy with glases. Dave's wife Chris & I worked together on Cue Sports Journal and while Dave & I tangled many times in tournaments, we became good friends and never matched up gambling. I didn't want any part of him at 9 ball & he didn't want to try me at one pocket, although we both played anyone else around our speed. At one of the early Sands Tournaments in Reno, I had matched up a one pocket game with Shannon Daulton & we had posted $1,000 on the light. Dave came up to me before we started and stuck $500 in my pocket. "I have half of this & don't give me any B S." Shannon looked like he was about 13 (he was 19 or 20) and of course he tortured me. Your right about Dave being fearless, he would send it all in at any time and had some wonderful road stories. He was well known in his day coast to coast. One of the guys I always looked forward to seeing & I will miss.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry to say, it's true. We lost another good friend yesterday. Pool players everywhere should hang their heads a moment in respect to 'Frisco' Dave Piona. He was one of us, and a damn good one to boot.

I think he was 63.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Sorry to say, it's true. We lost another good friend yesterday. Pool players everywhere should hang their heads a moment in respect to 'Frisco' Dave Piona. He was one of us, and a damn good one to boot.

I think he was 63.

Tap, Tap, Tap...

Great guy, great player. This is extremely sad news. I will keep his family in my thoughts and prayers.

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Probably, Larry Humphries

jay helfert said:
"Frisco" Dave Piona was an old school rambling gambling man. He criss-crossed the nation, taking on all comers. Dave was not a great player, but he was a strong shortstop and a fearless gambler. He COULD play for the cheese. Kind of like an earlier version of Ronnie Wiseman.

I first met Dave in about 1968 in Saulsalito, CA, outside San Francisco. I had spent about a week around the Palace and Cochrans tangling with guys like Joe Smiley, Ronnie Barber, Filipino Gene and "Trees". I needed a breather and some softer action. I went into a poolroom down by the water and got in a game with some local guy and won about $50. I was thrilled to find a soft game.

Next thing I know, in walks a white guy with a huge "afro" adorning his head. Someone points me out to him and he comes over and asks me if I want to play. That's why I'm there so sure we get into a $5 9-Ball game. Afro head can play a little so I get down and really start trying to beat him. We end up battling until the place closes, and he says to me "I know a place that is open all night". I tell him I'm hungry and want to eat. So he goes with me to an all night coffee shop. He doesn't want to lose me.

That is when Dave Piona and I became friends. I told him I was on the road from Ohio and he told me all about the Bay area pool scene. I don't think we ever finished that game of 9-Ball. We broke even and I felt good about that, because I could see he could play. And he gave me mutual respect, even though I knew he was ready to tee it up again if I asked him to.

For the next 30 years or so, I would see Dave wherever pool was being played on the West Coast. And he would spring up back East as well. I know for a fact he made his biggest score at the Rack, winning 40 dimes one night. He told me the story later. He said he never had a bigger bankroll than $10,000 ever in his life, and after he won all that money he went back to his motel room and spread it out all over his bed and slept on it.

Dave and I made some money together a few times. The last time was about ten years ago at the Sands. Some rich farmer (Larry?) was there from Oklahoma and he liked to play Bank Pool. Dave steered him into me and we played 50 a game short rack. It took a while but I got him for eight games in the end. Dave and I chopped it up at breakfast.

We remained friends all those years from the first time we played in that little room. One other thing, he also warned me when I was getting dumped in Dayton. I was backing a well known Bank Pool player against David Sizemore. He blew the 400 I gave him and came to me and asked for more. Thanks to Dave, I cut my losses. I had made over $6,000 on this trip and was really pumped up. It could have been quite costly.

I would like to know about any funeral arrangements, if anyone knows. I may have their phone number myself, so I will call Christina now.

Jay,

It was probably Larry Humphries, tall and thin very personable guy who likes to play banks and one pocket.

-don

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thecoats said:
Jay,

It was probably Larry Humphries, tall and thin very personable guy who likes to play banks and one pocket.

-don

You're correct. Nice guy to gamble with also.

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
jay helfert said:

I think he was 63.

I didn't know Dave Piona, but everyone seems surprised at this sad news. Would you (or someone else) mind telling us what happened ? Was he sick or was it something sudden ? Condolences to his family and friends.
Doug

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
You're correct. Nice guy to gamble with also.

Yes, nice guy and a good score, me and a buddy had the good fortune to stake James Walden against Larry in a dime a game one pocket match several years ago in OKC, needless to say it worked out very well for us;)

-don

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave had a major heart condition about 7-8 years ago, requiring extensive surgery. He never fully recovered, although he still came around to the tourneys in NorCal and Reno from time to time.

He was always making plans to do something else, so you couldn't count him out. But he had complained about his poor health more and more in the last year or so.

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
jay helfert said:
Dave had a major heart condition about 7-8 years ago, requiring extensive surgery. He never fully recovered, although he still came around to the tourneys in NorCal and Reno from time to time.

He was always making plans to do something else, so you couldn't count him out. But he had complained about his poor health more and more in the last year or so.

Thanks,Jay. I was afraid that it was something like that.
Doug

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Condolences to DAVE's friends and family.

I played him at THE RACK (MEMPHIS) and he was a good guy when at and away from the table. Stayed in this area for a while and wouldn't hesitate to share some interesting stories....

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
ribdoner said:
Condolences to DAVE's friends and family.

I played him at THE RACK (MEMPHIS) and he was a good guy when at and away from the table. Stayed in this area for a while and wouldn't hesitate to share some interesting stories....

Dave knew everybody! And everybody knew Dave. Too bad we couldn't get him on here to share stories. My bad.

Ron Cook

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[QUOTE=jay helfert .... Dave was not a great player, but he was a strong shortstop and a fearless gambler. He COULD play for the cheese.

Jay, we have lost a GREAT PLAYER and a good friend. Dave loved the game and spent his whole life playing pool. What could be better? Ask Dave and I bet he would do it all over again. If you take all the billions of people in the world and put a cue stick in their hands Dave would definitely be in the top 1% in the world. That is a GREAT accomplishment! Even in pro circles if Dave came with his best game he was subject to beat anyone playing one set & I am sure he could tell us of stories when he did. Dave had many good moments in pool and I got to watch him go case game in Reno with Kim Davenport and I am sure he had many moments where he played as good as anyone. I will miss watching him play pool and I will miss the opportunity to seeing him as a old timer play the game at it's best and see Dave come back when he may have been out matched from the start. Unfortunately, we have lost a good friend and someone who really loved the game and we have lost seeing Dave play at his best.

I too saw him last week at Hard Times and he told me after he had lost a match that he wasn't going to play much any more and I said to him at our age it is time sit back enjoy the game and watch for we do not have the endurance anymore like the younger players. All week after that conversation I was going to call him and tell him it is time to pass the torch to the younger players but I never made the phone call. Also, this past week I submitted some plans to put together a Billiard Room nearby and once the plans were approved by the City and I entered the lease I was going to call Dave and ask him to work there as a house man during the day and give lessons, but I was waiting until it was a sure thing. What I have learned is if you are going to tell something to someone please do for we do not know the the number of days in our life and the Lord's timing.

In later years Dave found something better than pool and that was his church, his God and salvation. He became a believer and he was ready to meet his maker. Dave was a singer and guitar player at his church and loved to learn more about the bible and talk about the Lord. He was very excited to talk about the Lord when we hooked up and often he talked too about Star the daughter he adopted and said she was a jewel and he was glad he could help with being a father to her.

Dave will be missed by many and I pray for Dave's family, Christina and Star. Christina too, for many years has loved the game of pool and I hope to see her continue to come to the pool arena for there are very few woman who have been around pool like Christina and has always supported Dave in his love of the game.

The Bay Area pool world will miss Dave but the "Streets of Gold" has welcomed him and I am sure he will be looking for the nearest pool table. Hopefully Dave's witness about the Lord in his later years has not gone unnoticed and if there are any players out there that would like to know more about our life after death and our real purpose in this world please do not hesitate to ask us, for the torch is being passed and Dave would not have hesitated to tell you about his Lord as well as many great pool stories!

We will miss you Dave!

Ron & Robbi Cook

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i remember watching him in action in Great American in the late 80's he was awalys in action, no fear, would awalys jack-up the bet. I never spoke to him that i can remember-but I remember him well. he was a great gambler, this is a huge loss for west coast pool, i made a few $$$ beting on him a couple times nothing to brag about because i was on short $$$, but I awalys remember him winning more than losing, vey cool guy full of energy.

its been a bad year for me I have lost so many people in the last 12 months, not all pool players, life is short, live it ip.

my condolences to his family, friends, and the players he beat-I think I might have said that before ;) - he beat alot of them. just trying to make a smile on a sad day.

Johnnie Morton and Dave in a month, wow this is terrible, well at least they can match up together in another heaven.

this is just another reminder for all of us lucky enough to be alive to get along and be greatful for what we have and not argue, enjoy our sport and be nice to each other.

RIP Dave.