slug doctor

rick9005

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi there Well i hooked up with abe about a month and a half ago and bought one of his slug doctors.I am totally impressed.Abe and i have played once a week till xmas and it's amazing.I put one on my home table and my friends are dumbfounded.I really like to watch live streaming of pool but i get so bored when they spend more time racking than playing.This would speed up live pool like you would'nt believe.I really think TAR or CSI should think about using it at the swanee tournament.
Anyhow just my opinion...RICK TREMBLEY>

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi there Well i hooked up with abe about a month and a half ago and bought one of his slug doctors.I am totally impressed.Abe and i have played once a week till xmas and it's amazing.I put one on my home table and my friends are dumbfounded.I really like to watch live streaming of pool but i get so bored when they spend more time racking than playing.This would speed up live pool like you would'nt believe.I really think TAR or CSI should think about using it at the swanee tournament.
Anyhow just my opinion...RICK TREMBLEY>

I concur Rick.. I play more one pocket now a days, so I don't have it on my table right now. But I have one and it is awesome!!

MoNkEyNuTz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It works great! We installed it on my buddies GC1 he just restored and had Zach setup. Don't even need a rack for any of the games we play. We used the template to put in the other dots for a full rack playing one pocket. I will be telling my friends at Kolby's about it when I get down there.
I want to thank Abe for inventing it and also thank him for the opportunity to win it and give it a try. :thumbup:

You will not be disappointed :happydance:

resurrecta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys,

Abe was so kind to hook me and my shipment arrived just yesterday. I gave it a first testing today. I'll try to elaborate a bit.

I acquired the 9/10 and 8ball add-on. My expectations were to have the best solution for a tight rack the market has to offer.

Ok, shipment received. It was well packed, sealed and protected. I reviewed Abe's videos before starting. I installed it, the first rack was a tad of getting used to to rack because the dimples from the inner circle of the plastics are way less deep than say the dimples on a tapped table.
I tested 9-ball. The wingball went down immediately with a full break from the side as it should be. Then, I went on to test a few break balls for straight like the hit on second ball which causes the corner ball to enter corner pocket. Even this went in clean!

So what you hear me say, is that it is atleast as efficient as tapping the table... Well, here, you're wrong... It's better! After getting used to racking the balls, it went faster and easier. And where this product scores, is in table-influence. I can witness that the plastics used are way thinner than say the plastic from my magic rack and the dimples are less deep than say when the table is tapped.
This is the product you MUST HAVE. It racks perfectly, tight and it has to close to a zero influence when a ball rolls over the plastics.

I hope this will be used in major tournaments. This is the way racks should be.

Also, imagine, the cloth gets wear and the "tap" isn't that tight anymore, you can just remove the plastics and put new ones on it to the current conditions of the cloth. So the days of having the table messed up by several wrong taps, are gone.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

RichLec

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have your own table and you do not have the slug doctor set up on it you are missing out. We set this up on a couple bar tables and regular people were able to get a tight rack even with out trying! If you are looking for a new rack or even if you are not looking for one this will be a GREAT investment!

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
Here is another good reason for using this rack or the any other rack system! If you put it on in a pool room you will know if the balls are worn down to the point you will never get a tight rack. A lot of the rooms I play at the ball are so bad and the rooms will not replace them. I talked to the owner of our local room about putting this system the only 9ft. which has new balls. But convincing other manager why the balls will not rack is because they are worn down in size.

resurrecta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been testing it for 2 weeks now in my local poolhall where the tables get vacuumed every 2 days. And the stickers are still holding!
Great product. I showed around in other poolhalls and people are talking about it.
I have tested many racks and after a while they all start to fail when they become less tight. This system allows them to be reset when it's worn. That's a major advantage too. No matter what condition the cloth has, it can always have a tight rack.

The only thing I have to mention, is that it can not fix a (wrongly) tapped table that had been tapped in the conventional way. It's because the taps are way deeper than the Slug doctor's. If anything, I recommend not using any other tap. If you install a new cloth, use this directly.

RichLec

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing i will add as an observation after I put this on a couple bar tables. When a person who didn't realize this was on the table grabs the rack, throws the balls in and puts it on the head spot all the balls suck them selfs into place.. No more moving and sliding the whole rack to get the balls frozen. As long as the rack was put in the right place all the balls just sucked them selfs into their own spots! so even with out knowing that the slug doctor was installed this persons rack was instantly TIGHT!

Rich

xTraJunk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just in

I've just received my SD from Abe. It was a pleasure to deal with him. I'm in Canada and had asked about shipping. The first quote was a little nuts and Abe replied with shipping options. He made the extra effort in order for this transaction to take place. Rep to ya!

OK. For my review of the SD. It came packed with care and the pieces are all made very well. The full rack add on fits perfect. The roll of 200 rings are thinner than the ones I've picked up while in Japan. Makes for smooth rolling and less chances of hiccups. The ring stamp lead pin holds the rings tight so that they don't slide off when flipped. That's extra points for thorough thought in the overall product. Super easy, fast and perfect. I use to use a really makeshift template for marking the spots. Then manually make refinements to the placements of the rings. This eliminates all that effort. In the time it use to take me to do the one table with 10 ball setup I did 3 tables with the full rack.

Thanks for giving back to the game with this great product!

xJ

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
My Slug Doctor review

I have had the slug doctor system on my table now for 1 week so i figured I would put up a review.

1st the installation--- couldn't be easier. It only took me a few minutes to get it on the table, but dont try to hurry here, make sure you are doing it right.

Now for the racking. 9-ball and 10 ball were a breeze to rack fast and tight. The first rack i set up was a 9-ball rack and I looked all over for a gap and didn't find a single one. It was perfect every time on the first try.
8-ball was a little slower to rack, more due to me than the system, but the results were the same, perfect.

Now on to my biggest concern, skidding. I was a little skeptical here but after trying several attempts at making a ball skid while going over one of the dots i was surprised to find that it didn't effect the cue ball at all.

The saying that the simplest ideas are the best holds true here. I would also like to add that I was given the product free of charge so that I would try it out and report back here with what I thought about it. But i would not be giving a positive review unless I thought it was a great product.

The nice thing about the slug doctor is that is removes the human factor somewhat. No more accidental or on purpose bad racks and its consistently good.

I highly recommend this system. It's low cost, removable, simple to install and simple to use, but most of all it works! Enjoy!

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
Are you using these without putting the normal "spot" on the table? If so, are you seeing any more wear on the cloth where the one ball sets due to impact from hard breaks?

I have one, and have used it on the old cloth on my home table and really like it. But my cloth is old enough that it already had worn under where the one ball sets (bought used bar table).

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Are you using these without putting the normal "spot" on the table? If so, are you seeing any more wear on the cloth where the one ball sets due to impact from hard breaks?

I have one, and have used it on the old cloth on my home table and really like it. But my cloth is old enough that it already had worn under where the one ball sets (bought used bar table).

The SD is not meant to protect the cloth on the foot spot from wear. the ball is not resting ON the perforation but rather on the bed cloth against the perf.

Personally I would use a spot no matter what product I was using.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member

I'm another very satisfied customer. Slug Doctor is the nuts. If you want a tight rack, THIS IS IT.

Now, if you're someone from the other side of the fence that wants to rely on randomness and no virtual guarantee of the wings going in on 9-ball.........well, that's a whole different conversation.

For a consistent, tight rack, this is the THE way to go.

To answer the above question, I do NOT use a spot under the "lead dot". After nearly a year of use on my home table, I can see a bit of distress where the break is causing the cloth to wear. But, I could take a green magic marker and color that in. It's basically just a tiny dot of discoloration. I'm not seeing overly extreme wear at that location. Just light wear.

I could probably play like this for another 3-4 years before it wore an amount that I would be concerned about. At that point, I'll probably be re-covering the table anyway.

Two huge thumbs up for the Slug Doctor!