Mosconi Cup Poll: Team USA or Team Europe?

Who will win?

• Team USA

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • Team Europe

Votes: 25 46.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strmanglr Scott wrote the following: "Seems there's a decent number of people here who are in serious doubt is Team USA can win this year.

"Let's get everyone on record with a poll.

"Be honest with yourself and us and predict it and tell why.

"I'm voting Yes, Team USA will win. They finally won last year and in Europe no less. I think we have a stronger more seasoned team over last year and we have home field advantage.

"Happy voting and bring on the Mosconi Cup, this is ours you euro dogs!"

fishless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I voted USA, winning last year gives them the confidence they can win.

I will be cheering for Team CSI next week though :)

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets look at this point of view. What is more likely to see?
- team Europe with their poor or so-so performance two years in a row?
- team USA with their best performance this year too?

If we look at the latest results at the International Open:
3 out of 5 europeans who are on board finished high: Shaw, Filler, Kazakis. Kaci could not take part due to known reason and only Niels dropped out earlier.
Out of all the americans only J.Bergman finished 4th with SVB who lost the spot to him earlier. Woodward, Tyler and Thorpe dropped out on the early stages.

The last event for Europeans before MC was latest eurotour in Antalya. Only J.Shaw was not there. The other 4 team members managed to qualify to SE, where Niels and Alex lost in 1/8. Joshua in 1/4 and Klenty in the final. What is interesting both Niels and Joshua could not go through D.Alcaide losing respectively 8:9 and 7:9 where Kaci ended up beating David two times in WQ and semi with the same score 9:4.
In conclusion I believe team Europe this year is very hungry for a revenge especially those players who had not performed on their level last year. So first of all Alex then Klenty and finally Niels (I guess many fans are looking forward for a re-match Niels vs. Tyler) are waiting for their chance over there;).

The fact both teams are the same 4 out of 5 players and the fifth players Filler and Bergman are not making respective teams any weaker is only making this battle even more attractive.
Being a european my vote is pretty understandable but I hope for a great competitve MC with some drama on the last day so the pressure level is as high as possible. Then it won't be boring for sure!;)

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really thinks its a pick 'em deal. Home-court means nada. Euros have won in Vegas multiple times, twice by big margins, so that's a moot point. I'm takin' US and odds on the $$. It looks to be a helluva match.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Strmanglr Scott wrote the following: "Seems there's a decent number of people here who are in serious doubt is Team USA can win this year.

"Let's get everyone on record with a poll.

"Be honest with yourself and us and predict it and tell why.

"I'm voting Yes, Team USA will win. They finally won last year and in Europe no less. I think we have a stronger more seasoned team over last year and we have home field advantage.

"Happy voting and bring on the Mosconi Cup, this is ours you euro dogs!"

Thank you JAM.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Much as it pained me, I picked Team Europe.

What has changed from a year ago? For me, it's three things in particular:

1) Josh Filler, the star of the 2017 Mosocni Cup, wasn't on Team Europe in 2018. Two weeks after the Mosconi, Josh won the World 9-ball Championship. He's on the team this year, and will arrive as the top ranked player in the world.
2) Though selected as a wild card in 2018, Jayson Shaw didn't show up in nearly his best form. He didn't look like the Jayson that won the 2017 US Open 9-ball. This year, he'll arrive at the Mosconi in strong form, having tested Shane to the max in their 100-91 10-ball match and having won the International 9-ball over one of the toughest fields of the year. To me, Shaw looks like he's back.
3) Mosconi rookies Klenti Kaci and Alex Kazakis largely played like rookies at the 2018 Mosconi, and their ineffectiveness had much to do with how Europe fell so far behind a year ago. Each is a year wiser and more experienced and both had solid competitive campaigns in 2019. I think they will contribute more than a year ago.

Team USA certainly has a shot, as they have, at long last, addressed the huge tactical gap that lay between them and Team Europe for years. Bergman, the only new member of the team, is an upgrade over Deuel, too, but I see Europe having a big edge in the singles matches and I think they'll ride success at singles into the recapture of the cup. If the US is to win, they'll need huge efforts from SVB and Bergman.

As the saying goes, we shall see. Let the games begin!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went with Team USA, and maybe a bit of a homer sway to it, but when I stand back, I just see a team USA that has gotten stronger with the addition of Bergman...Styer winning in Moscow...and all the players were battle tested last year in the hostile Home court advantage of Europe.

Then I look at Team Europe, who I think stay the same as last year. They added Filler which is a huge weapon, but lost Albin, who was The pinnacle of cool under pressure in the last few Mosconi Cups. So that may be a wash because they did not improve on their weak links like team USA did.

I’m not sold yet on Kaci or Kazakis on this big of a stage under the lights and pressure of millions watching. After last Mosconi in this year of 2019, Kaci appeared to be outperformed in the World Cup of Pool by his teammate, a part time player/police officer Spihau—the nerves clearly played a roll. Also, post Mosconi Cup, Kazakis has that meltdown in the hill hill rack against Alcaide in the World Pool Masters where the nerves clearly got to him and lead to poor performance and a loss.
Both these players are outstanding in tournaments and Euro tour atmosphere, but now they will have to bring it, in a format that they are clearly not comfortable in just yet. (How many years of Mosconi Cup appearances did it take Shane to get comfortable or at least perform on par?) and they are in opposition territory of the defending champions.

Had either Kaci or Kazakis been replaced with a player like Alacaide or Albin, I would pick Team Europe on this one. but here I really think, Team USA has an even better shot at winning than they did last year.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yurop!

kaci is really the only weak link, because the shot clock format. but i think he has learned from last year. filler, shaw, alex are as sharp as can be.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yurop!

kaci is really the only weak link, because the shot clock format. but i think he has learned from last year. filler, shaw, alex are as sharp as can be.

The problem, if I can call it that, is the venue location. Las Vegas has so many distractions. If the team members on both sides can keep focused on the matches, they will perform well. But if they venture our and enjoy the scenery in Vegas, this might inhibit their caliber of play. ;)

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Much as it pained me, I picked Team Europe.

What has changed from a year ago? For me, it's three things in particular:

1) Josh Filler, the star of the 2017 Mosocni Cup, wasn't on Team Europe in 2018. Two weeks after the Mosconi, Josh won the World 9-ball Championship. He's on the team this year, and will arrive as the top ranked player in the world.
2) Though selected as a wild card in 2018, Jayson Shaw didn't show up in nearly his best form. He didn't look like the Jayson that won the 2017 US Open 9-ball. This year, he'll arrive at the Mosconi in strong form, having tested Shane to the max in their 100-91 10-ball match and having won the International 9-ball over one of the toughest fields of the year. To me, Shaw looks like he's back.
3) Mosconi rookies Klenti Kaci and Alex Kazakis largely played like rookies at the 2018 Mosconi, and their ineffectiveness had much to do with how Europe fell so far behind a year ago. Each is a year wiser and more experienced and both had solid competitive campaigns in 2019. I think they will contribute more than a year ago.

Team USA certainly has a shot, as they have, at long last, addressed the huge tactical gap that lay between them and Team Europe for years. Bergman, the only new member of the team, is an upgrade over Deuel, too, but I see Europe having a big edge in the singles matches and I think they'll ride success at singles into the recapture of the cup. If the US is to win, they'll need huge efforts from SVB and Bergman.

As the saying goes, we shall see. Let the games begin!

1. Woodward has really become seasoned at this event. His play was much better last year.
2. Styer hopefully comes in more composed than last year. When he's on and composed, he's a serious force to be reckoned with.
3. We dropped the weakest link imo, Deuel and got stronger in his place.

Despite having been beat at home, I still believe there is a home field advantage.