Mike Surber Case

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Sadly the killer, or killers have never been caught, tried, and convicted. Thousands of people in the U.S.A., are killed annually, many more cases go unsolved then solved.

JMHO

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope they find the guy and he gets what’s coming to him
R.I.P. mike

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
was fully expecting the topic would be about a pool cue case. And then John Barton saying it's inferior.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sadly the killer, or killers have never been caught, tried, and convicted. Thousands of people in the U.S.A., are killed annually, many more cases go unsolved then solved.

JMHO

I'd bet my next retirement check the killer is a former inmate. Just because a person hasn't been convicted of a violent crime doesn't mean he hasn't committed one.

Mike Surber died because that killer was released from prison.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice. Present claims of fact and add the JMHO.

Wtf?! :slap:

The national murder solve rate (Edit-UNSOLVED) is 39% and the worst since records were kept. In the old days they'd convict the first guy who looked good for it. Nowadays-Video and DNA are clearing those people more than convicting them.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd bet my next retirement check the killer is a former inmate. Just because a person hasn't been convicted of a violent crime doesn't mean he hasn't committed one.

Mike Surber died because that killer was released from prison.
The guy MAY have been inside and MAY have been paroled/released. Mike got killed by a douchebag pos., prison or no prison. All the conjecture here serves ZERO purpose. I find it a bit odd that if this a-hole spends that much time around pool that he hasn't been spotted and questioned. This case is already cold and getting colder.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The national murder solve rate is 39% and the lowest since records were kept. In the old days they'd convict the first guy who looked good for it. Nowadays-Video and DNA are clearing those people more than convicting them.

I was not challenging the statistics. They are indicative of a system that would rather see an guilty man go free, than an innocent man convicted.

I was highlighting the absurdity of presenting facts and then stating they're opinion.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
was fully expecting the topic would be about a pool cue case. And then John Barton saying it's inferior.

no this was a pretty big deal to those in the know in the american pool world. Mike was a very well liked in the pool world here in america. Americas most wanted even ran a show on it some years back. Was dammed sad.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was not challenging the statistics. They are indicative of a system that would rather see an guilty man go free, than an innocent man convicted.

I was highlighting the absurdity of presenting facts and then stating they're opinion.

I know-I was just giving some factual info on the subject of convictions that he brought up.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's sad that even with video that he hasn't been caught. One thing I learned reading the article and watching the you tube video was that his stance is very unique. Hopefully, he will get caught but it doesn't look likely. Too bad they couldn't retrieve any DNA.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The national murder solve rate is 39% and the lowest since records were kept. In the old days they'd convict the first guy who looked good for it. Nowadays-Video and DNA are clearing those people more than convicting them.

Are you sure you don’t have that backwards, that 39% is the UNsolved homicide rate? I don’t think it’s true that “many more cases go unsolved than solved” as was stated above. I do agree with you that the clearance rate has gone down, and it might be because they’ve gotten pressure to be more accurate. Also, it might be that thankfully there are just a lot fewer homicides today than 25 years ago, and the remaining ones are tougher cases to solve?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Also, it might be that thankfully there are just a lot fewer homicides today than 25 years ago, and the remaining ones are tougher cases to solve?

I think that murderers, for the most part, have gotten more savvy about what to do and NOT to do to get caught.

No facts here, just my humble opinion.

Maniac

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure you don’t have that backwards, that 39% is the UNsolved homicide rate? I don’t think it’s true that “many more cases go unsolved than solved” as was stated above. I do agree with you that the clearance rate has gone down, and it might be because they’ve gotten pressure to be more accurate. Also, it might be that thankfully there are just a lot fewer homicides today than 25 years ago, and the remaining ones are tougher cases to solve?

Yes i did have it backwards-sorry about that. My main point was that DNA & Video are clearing more people than nailing them.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a larger percentage of murders these days compared to golden times are random killings as opposed to the old came home and found the wife in bed with the neighbor and you blew both of their heads off. Chance occurrences are harder to pin down. I have no proof of this but it just seems that way when you watch the news. Which I rarely do, so who knows if I'm making sense. I grew up two towns over from Biloxi so I want to see this guy caught and fried.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Nice. Present claims of fact and add the JMHO.

Wtf?! :slap:

Go talk to your local sheriff or cops on the beat where you live, it about resources, number of call, number of cases detectives have to work. Also it about what the elected official deem important.

Hell today in little old Phoenix AZ one of the fastest growing counties in the country, (Maricopa) that are down like 1,000 Cops from authorized strenth. Factor in GROTH on people moving in to the county, the real number is like 2,500.

Mike's case is like 10 year old, it has not been in the media for a long time. Almost two years.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...i-billiards-player-cold-case-death/947742001/

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a larger percentage of murders these days compared to golden times are random killings as opposed to the old came home and found the wife in bed with the neighbor and you blew both of their heads off. Chance occurrences are harder to pin down. I have no proof of this but it just seems that way when you watch the news. Which I rarely do, so who knows if I'm making sense. I grew up two towns over from Biloxi so I want to see this guy caught and fried.
Most homicides are still done by people known to the victim and often by family members. Totally random murders definitely do happen but not as much. Based on FBI #'s its usually in the 10-12% range.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most homicides are still done by people known to the victim and often by family members. Totally random murders definitely do happen but not as much. Based on FBI #'s its usually in the 10-12% range.

Is that number higher now than 30 years ago or the same?