Have you seen any celebrities at major pool events?

I wonder, have you ever seen any celebrities at major pool events, like the DCC, or the US Open, or at events like the Super Billiards Expo?

Or, do you know of any celebrities that have a great love for the sport of pool, and / or are good players?

When I say celebrity, I mean celebs that the average joe on the street has probably heard of.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Racecar driving superstar Tony Stewart has come with Shannon Daulton to Derby City more than once.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Jerry Seinfeld attended the Brunswick NY Classic, a WPBA event, at Amsterdam Billiard Club in New York circa 2001.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The late Jerry Orbach, of Law and Order fame, attended the 1992 US Open 14.1 event at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York. He was also a solid straight pool player who could run over 60 balls.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going to mention Seinfeld, but Stu beat me to it!

As also mentioned above, I did see JR Smith sweating some of the pro matches at the Expo, I believe the last year that it was held in Edison, NJ. As a long suffering Knicks fan, it was a thrill to see him checking out the SBE.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going to mention Seinfeld, but Stu beat me to it!

As also mentioned above, I did see JR Smith sweating some of the pro matches at the Expo, I believe the last year that it was held in Edison, NJ. As a long suffering Knicks fan, it was a thrill to see him checking out the SBE.

Oh man..the Knicks lol #firetheKnicksowner

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Racecar driving superstar Tony Stewart has come with Shannon Daulton to Derby City more than once.
He came to Shannon Daulton's Sparkle City Shootout 2018 event in Spartanburg, Sc too

tony chohan and tony stewart at the 2018 sparkle city open.jpg

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The late Jerry Orbach, of Law and Order fame, attended the 1992 US Open 14.1 event at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York. He was also a solid straight pool player who could run over 60 balls.

Jerry O. came to the Peter Vitalie tourney in Los Angeles in 1987. I reminded him when we used to play 9-Ball at Guys and Dolls in New York in the 60's and then he remembered me, I think. :D

Fred Astaire came to many of Fred Whalen;s tourneys in the early 70's in Los Angeles as well. He could play pretty good from what I understand. Saw Peter Falk and Telly Savalas there to.

The dwarf from Fantasy Island, Herve V. showed up at a tournament we put on at the Santa Ana Elks Club in 1987. He was very friendly to everyone and we gave him a front row seat. He seemed to really enjoy the pool and stayed a full day.

Joe Rogan was at the last L.A. Billiard Expo where we had an Invitational pro Eight Ball event put on by Pat Fleming.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder, have you ever seen any celebrities at major pool events, like the DCC, or the US Open, or at events like the Super Billiards Expo?

Or, do you know of any celebrities that have a great love for the sport of pool, and / or are good players?

When I say celebrity, I mean celebs that the average joe on the street has probably heard of.

I believe George C. Scott's (Bert, in "The Hustler") brother was walking around the DCC one year with a young hottie at his side.

And I would swear I saw Paul Sorvino ("Goodfellas") walking around the DCC another year.

Lou Figueroa

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I heard Paul Sorvino, a native New Yorker, is sometimes at Amsterdam.

I believe George C. Scott's (Bert, in "The Hustler") brother was walking around the DCC one year with a young hottie at his side.

And I would swear I saw Paul Sorvino ("Goodfellas") walking around the DCC another year.

Lou Figueroa

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard Paul Sorvino, a native New Yorker, is sometimes at Amsterdam.

I met Paul Sorvino at a local strip club by me in the poconos about 18 years ago. He stopped in the sports bar part of the club after we had just finished playing a tournament. Had a beer and played 2 games of 9 ball (he hit them pretty well) and left.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Here's a pic of Jerry Orbach with CJ Wiley and his then wife at the Yale Club in NYC. This was the venue that Earl ran ten racks for a cool million.

52664544_3169766803049334_8594952565500674048_n.jpg

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I know theres a few celebs that really like playing, enough to make a celebrity tournament scotch doubles with pros, if there was a way to make that happen, it could be a little nice exposure for pool. milo Ventimiglia, joe rogan, logic, Jordan, and a bunch of others, enough to make one happen. if one had the ability to make it happen, its possible. rogans a legitimate pool guy with a lot of famous friends. if there was a way to make it interesting, maybe along with a poker touranament, or something along those lines, it could be a lot of fun.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Earl ran the 11 racks at the Million Dollar Challenge Tournament, held in CJ's Palace in Dallas, back in 1996.

I stand corrected regarding the 11 rack run. Batting .500 for accuracy on this one. The pic is at the Yale Club. Thanks for the correction Hawaiian Eye.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Red Sox player Johnny Damon attended the IPT Orlando event in 2005.

Yes, he was also seen at the Challenge of Champions at Mohegan Sun in Connecticut, just weeks after winning the 2004 World Series.