Water Damaged Slate

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm posting this inquiry for a friend of mine that covers tables. He recently worked on an 8' Olhausen with three piece 7/8" slate. The owner told him after he was well into the job that the slate had gotten wet. The particle board attached to the slate got wet and absorbed water and is now no longer level. The question is, can this slate be repaired, maybe by attaching new particle board to it? I told my friend I would post here for him, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Got glue?????

Yes you can replace the wood. After you replace the wod you might need extra time leveling the slate, as the wood dries it might have twisted or cupped or crowned the slate. Make sure you have a frame as level as you can get it so you have a good starting point.

You might take a look at the sticky for how to level slate by Realkingcobra it might give you some help and insight on how to work with a warped or crazy slate.\

Just about everything is fixable on a pool table...

Best of luck,

Craig

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
I have a slate roof on my house no water damage.:D

does water get under the slate soak the wood then let it dry so the slate roof would twist, buckle or crown????

I know what you were trying to say just haveing fun with your answer..it was a good one had to read it twice since I just woke up and was it ever so blurry to read.

Craig

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got glue?????

Yes you can replace the wood. After you replace the wod you might need extra time leveling the slate, as the wood dries it might have twisted or cupped or crowned the slate. Make sure you have a frame as level as you can get it so you have a good starting point.

You might take a look at the sticky for how to level slate by Realkingcobra it might give you some help and insight on how to work with a warped or crazy slate.\

Just about everything is fixable on a pool table...

Best of luck,

Craig

Thanks for the good info. I'll relay this to my friend. Also will take a look at the sticky. Thanks.

dkindig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're going to the trouble of replacing the particle board completely, there is the option of using hardwood instead of particle board.

I have an 8' OS Olhausen, and even though it hasn't been really stapled out, there are some areas that have problems either from excess stapling or from being banged around when moving the slates.

Hardwood would hold up much better over time.

The opposite side of that coin is that perhaps particle board, because of it's resin content, might be more dimensionally stable under humidity changes.

Can anyone weigh in on that particular issue?

At any rate, yes, the slate backing can be replaced.

tsp&b

Silver Member
I would recommend either Ash or Poplar. Stay away from Oak or anythig that has a heavy grain. You will need to have it accurately planed.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If I had the time, I'd take poplar and build it right onto the frame of the table, 2 1/2" short of the outside edge of the slate, and not bother attaching it to the slates. Then I'd mount the slate by centering the over hang evenly all the way around the slate so that it had the same over hang evenly. Then screw down the slate to the frame as well. Once that's done, I'd install the bed cloth using my glueing system. In the event the pockets screw to the backing, I'd add a backing to the slate only at the actual pocket openings for attaching the leather pockets. By using long poplar boards the lenght of the table frame, there is no chance that the slates can't sit flat at the seams, because all the seams would be sitting on the same poplar board on both sides of the frame:D Just scrap off the old backing on the slates and make sure the back side is clean and mount.

Glen

mreightball

Silver Member
Sometimes you can just remove the damaged material and not replace it with anything if you can glue the felt to the slate.
Ron