Replacing a tip on Tru-Glide S.S.T. shaft

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
I've talked with a couple of cue repair techs, and the S.S.T. shaft is getting a reputation that it's very hard to put a tip on them that will stay.

Has anyone run into this issue, and more importantly, anyone know of a way to get tips to stay on?

Thanks.....

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Not particularly. I take it that the SST is the shaft that comes with a Cue Tec.

Maybe it is the ferrule material used as some can be a tad more difficult to get a tip to stick to.

In my small little city, I tend to see my fair share as there are many players that use the Cue Tec.

I have never had one pop off as I tend to take a little longer to install a tip and prep them in a way that I hope gets them to stay put.

In the past, I have had Chinese cues with unknown ferrule material that have been a bit of a pain to get a tip to stick to.

In the absolute worst case, you could get a new ferrule of known American made material that would not give you any grief.

If you are currently having problems with yours, you could see if your repairman could take a couple of extra steps on the install. That may help.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
bo

I've talked with a couple of cue repair techs, and the S.S.T. shaft is getting a reputation that it's very hard to put a tip on them that will stay.

Has anyone run into this issue, and more importantly, anyone know of a way to get tips to stay on?

Thanks.....

no

What tip are you putting on ?

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Mike, I hope that they are not the new Jewmui Foreskin tips.

I heard that they don't stick all that well unless you throw them against a wall.

Like good spaghetti, they have to be installed Al Dente.

Mike, any snow yet in northern Nevader?

Minus 55 with the wind chill Sat. I just slipped out for a 15 pack and its getting down there. Minus 38 currently with the wind chill.

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Sst

SST shaft reminds me Of something you would use to harpoon Moby Dick.

Bullet proof, just not Earl proof ;)

Allot of guys like them for a break cue.

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. After facing off the ferrule, I scored it, and then put a pad on the tip. Played with it for a full rack of balls, hitting pretty hard, and with lots of spin. Seems to be holding. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Again.. thanks.