What pin Is this?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Lmao. You didn't by chance read post #3 in this thread, Did you?

Oops, you got me, missed that one. :eek:

However, when I mike and count threads on the Longoni, I come up with about .480" by 10 threads. Perhaps there is some variation.

All the best,
WW

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oops, you got me, missed that one. :eek:

However, when I mike and count threads on the Longoni, I come up with about .480" by 10 threads. Perhaps there is some variation.

All the best,
WW

I honestly don't know. But I think a list should be compiled and a sticky should be in place because everyone, Cue makers and non Cue makers has to deal the variations.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lmao. You didn't by chance read post #3 in this thread, Did you?

Respectfully, I think that's his wood pin, and not the typical carom wood pin.

I was looking into carom wood pins a couple years ago but really don't remember. There are some variations but as I remember one main one.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly don't know. But I think a list should be compiled and a sticky should be in place because everyone, Cue makers and non Cue makers has to deal the variations.

I agree.

Even just us guys watching from the cheap seats would benefit. Definitely a great suggestion.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL!

I was just looking to see if anybody posted that.

You straightened me out on that pin one time, I didn't know it existed. Wasn't that a Joss Brunswick pin?

Yes Sir.
Just one of the many reasons I cherish my friendship with Dan Janes. The man is just incredible.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Respectfully, I think that's his wood pin, and not the typical carom wood pin.

I was looking into carom wood pins a couple years ago but really don't remember. There are some variations but as I remember one main one.

Well Doc, after using a few micrometers and a good magnifying glass, at least going by my Longoni, I'm going to say the carom pin is somewhere between 15/32 X 10, and 31/64 X 10.

Of course, this is subject to manufacturing tolerances, as well as my usual klutziness, but you're right, it would be interesting to know if there is a standard.

I'm sure we've lost a few on this one. :boring2:

All the best for micrometers, and reading glasses...
WW

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Apparently Longoni is 1/2x10 and Hanbat is darn close, but it is said that you might have to sand a Hanbat a little to get it to fit into a Longoni.

So...they aren't exactly the same.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=305462

Diekman apparently is 1/2 x 10

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=443609

Not surprising then, that I measure the Longoni pin at a bit less than 1/2. It didn't get to .500 anywhere on the pin. I suspect a little finishing is done to prevent the pin from sticking too much as normal wood expansion happens.

I say this, because I had to have Mike Cochran work on the inside of both of my 3/8 X 10 Acme pin shafts, as they were getting too tight to screw in. Wood surfaces in most climates expand a bit, so it makes sense that the pin might measure a bit less than whatever the standard is supposed to be. The actual measurement is everything. A theoretical standard isn't. I do notice none of those threads take it to the thousandth, which I do.

All the best,
WW

Scratchy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At least my old Dieckman is 1/2”x8. From 1993.

I think most carom cues now are 10 tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I imagine this was one of the one mentioned, but it seemed to fit the thread so to speak
brunswick joint pin 1.jpg

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks like Dufferins joint. Was the pilot shank broken off?

Oh, yep. Missed that one. Good call MR. Webb. I have a super nice shaft with a 3/8 x ???? I am going to try to remember to take with me the next time I visit Ernie Martinez to see what the heck it is. If its a gem I'll leave it alone. If not I,ll have it fit for something I need a shaft for some day.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, yep. Missed that one. Good call MR. Webb. I have a super nice shaft with a 3/8 x ???? I am going to try to remember to take with me the next time I visit Ernie Martinez to see what the heck it is. If its a gem I'll leave it alone. If not I,ll have it fit for something I need a shaft for some day.

Nice. If your going to see Ernie. You can put that 3/8x????. On one of his cues seeing he uses 3/8x12. :D

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice. If your going to see Ernie. You can put that 3/8x????. On one of his cues seeing he uses 3/8x12. :D

I hope to see Ernie very soon actually and I am bringing that shaft with me. Here is another ebay shot I just had to share.

What the heck.jpg

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw that on ebay.

Seller says he bought the cue in 1968.

Odd one.

Looks almost like you could screw your garden hose to it. LOL!

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Saw that on ebay.

Seller says he bought the cue in 1968.

Odd one.

Looks almost like you could screw your garden hose to it. LOL!

I have one of these on a Brunswick Medalist, there's a screw inside the shaft insert, really chintzy import joint