Moving a pool table to install a new floor

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I need some advice.

I need to move a pool table in my room so that I can lay a new floor underneath of it.

I am planning on installing a engineered wood floor under the table then moving the table back into place. Carpet will be matched up to the sides. This way, if I have to replace the carpet again, I don't have to touch the table.

Would a car jack and dollies under each leg do the job? The table is a Gold Crown II, any issues, suggestions in moving this table?

Dead Crab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They make special dollys for pool tables
http://www.moneymachines.com/minimoverdolly.html

so you might want to check with a rental store to see if they have one.

Jacking is a good idea, but as with a car, you have to know where a stable jack point is. If you decide to jack the frame, instead of the legs, they make screw jacks of various sizes that you might be able to rent. I don't know if the ones for leveling mobile homes is tall enough, but you might be able to put the jack on a couple of cinder blocks. They sell these at big-box stores

LCCS

Silver Member
moving a table

I have seen several people try all sorts of ways, but the problem with a three piece slate is that each jack would have to have the same amount of lift at the precise same time. Most of the time the seems crack and will have do be redone, or worst you could even crack a piece of slate. You have to remember you are lifting about 1 ton. If it was me doing the job, i would not attempt moving it without tearing it down and reinstalling it.You might have to do more labor, but you will be safer in the end.Thanx, Ron
www.lccsbilliards.com

Dartman

Silver Member
Tony_in_MD said:
I am planning on installing a engineered wood floor under the table then moving the table back into place. Carpet will be matched up to the sides. This way, if I have to replace the carpet again, I don't have to touch the table.
By sides I presume you mean the legs? What if you decide to get rid of the table - or move it around? 4 spots on the floor with no carpet doesn't sound too appealing. Do it right and disassemble it - finish your floor/carpet then reinstall the table. You'll have more problems with jacks and dollys or whatever and will no doubt have to disassemble (at least partially) the table to relevel it anyway. No need to take risks as LCCS mentioned.

Dead Crab

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LCCS said:
I have seen several people try all sorts of ways, but the problem with a three piece slate is that each jack would have to have the same amount of lift at the precise same time. Most of the time the seems crack and will have do be redone, or worst you could even crack a piece of slate. You have to remember you are lifting about 1 ton. If it was me doing the job, i would not attempt moving it without tearing it down and reinstalling it.You might have to do more labor, but you will be safer in the end.Thanx, Ron
www.lccsbilliards.com

Isn't it amazing that a half ton piece of furniture, whose principal component is rock, is so fragile? Offhand, I can't think of another device that has no moving parts, yet requires a mechanic.

tsp&b

Silver Member
LCCS gave you the best advise. Have a professional take it down and put it back togather again. Especially if it needs any work at all. However that said you can move the table by very carefully lefting one end at a time only as much as necessary to get a low dolly under the feet, then repeat the process for the other end. I once moved four Gold Crown I's for a pool room that way. The special dollies that were mentioned in the other post are designed for coin op tables and really would not be useful to you. The Gold Crowns have a frame strong enough to drive a truck over.. so I believe if you are very careful and do everything slowly you should be ok. But as mentioned before to be absolutely sure get a local pro to take it down for you. Good luck and let us know how it goes

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Break it down move it set it back up when the room is done. This will give you a good time to recover your table check for loose rubber replace cushion faces and allow you to fine tune the table I.E. remove all the chalk from under the cloth so it can play fast again.

Most important about gold crowns 1 and 2 the have pinned slate so if you do twist the table moving it on dollies 8 strong men twist that slate and you might just have a 2-3inch blowout in the slate from the pins seen it 10 or 12 times big holes filled with plaster of paris bondo water putty .

gold crown 1's and 2's are worth money take the time and do it right.

If this was a chineese table heck flip it on its side slide down the hall....lol
it will fall apart on it's own...

best of luck

Eddie4269

Billiard Equpment Tech
Silver Member
Dead Crab said:
They make special dollys for pool tables
http://www.moneymachines.com/minimoverdolly.html

so you might want to check with a rental store to see if they have one.

Jacking is a good idea, but as with a car, you have to know where a stable jack point is. If you decide to jack the frame, instead of the legs, they make screw jacks of various sizes that you might be able to rent. I don't know if the ones for leveling mobile homes is tall enough, but you might be able to put the jack on a couple of cinder blocks. They sell these at big-box stores
These dollies are only meant to be used on coin op tables that can be lifted by the underneath of the table.

My suggestion - get a few guys over to the house have four lift the end of the table. Set a 2x6 across a furniture dolly (like show here http://www.vandykes.com/product/70010792/ )and set the feet on it. Repeat at the other end, then push the table to wherever you need it.

Attachments

• dollly.jpg
    dollly.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 29,645

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
The wood floor will be underneath the table in one large area, about 7X4 or so.
This will allow me to replace carpet without ever having to move the table again.

If I ever get rid of the table I guess the area could be a small dance floor. :)

Dartman said:
By sides I presume you mean the legs? What if you decide to get rid of the table - or move it around? 4 spots on the floor with no carpet doesn't sound too appealing. Do it right and disassemble it - finish your floor/carpet then reinstall the table. You'll have more problems with jacks and dollys or whatever and will no doubt have to disassemble (at least partially) the table to relevel it anyway. No need to take risks as LCCS mentioned.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Any problems running the dollies over carpet?

tsp&b said:
LCCS gave you the best advise. Have a professional take it down and put it back togather again. Especially if it needs any work at all. However that said you can move the table by very carefully lefting one end at a time only as much as necessary to get a low dolly under the feet, then repeat the process for the other end. I once moved four Gold Crown I's for a pool room that way. The special dollies that were mentioned in the other post are designed for coin op tables and really would not be useful to you. The Gold Crowns have a frame strong enough to drive a truck over.. so I believe if you are very careful and do everything slowly you should be ok. But as mentioned before to be absolutely sure get a local pro to take it down for you. Good luck and let us know how it goes

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Thanks for all of the replies and advice. I have some folks coming over this weekend that have done this type of work before, to see if it is OK to move the table on dollies.

If not I will be disassembling it. Will let you know how it all turns out.

AJM

JayBates

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i work in a photography studio inside a furnature factory. we take room setting pictures of furnature. i have to move furnature all the time with those furnature dollys in and out of carpeted and wood floor rooms. while the cheepest thing may be to pick up one end at a time with some friends and put it on dollys, it may not be the best thing. dollys are pretty difficult to move on carpet with just a sofa on them, i cant imagine a 9 footer. also when you have the wood flooring and new carpet installed you have to take into consideration getting the table back in place...the transition from carpet to wood floor isnt going to be the same level so getting the dollys moving is going to be "fun" to say the least. also, some dollys will scratch new wood flooring if not carefull. its not going to be easy either way. YOU can do a lot of dificult work or you can hire a table mechanic to tear it down and rebuild it. money or labor, tough choice,
Jay

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Promised you all updates.

As you know, I am remodeling my basement, and I wanted to install a wood floor underneath the pool table.

Used a hydrolic car jack and some 2X6, jacked up the table by the frame and installed the floor underneath.

Pics:

http://tony.homedns.org/~amarcino/album/Home/Bar%20Remodeling/slides/DSC_0075.html
http://tony.homedns.org/~amarcino/album/Home/Bar%20Remodeling/slides/DSC_0077.html

Worked well table came up and down easily, with no big bangs! Spent time the next day, re-leveling the table.

As soon as the bar reconstruction is done, I will be able to play again!

JayBates

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like the color of wood you chose. looks like its going to be nice when its all said and done. have fun with this project!
Jay

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Thanks, the wood floor is Santos Mahogany.

Have it for the bar floor and underneath the table. Finished setting the cabinet and countertop for the back bar area yesterday. I also have the beer tap working there too. :cool:

Set the countertop and sink cabinet today. Need to deal with the sink, and the bartop itself.

Been working on this project for about 2 months. The end is in sight!

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
I wouldn't move this table in one piece. Besides getting a precision level you will need to make adjustment to the slate with the cloth off and redo the seams. Gold Crown's are strong tables but there made to hold the wieght in a stationary position. Have a professional disassemble and move the table. Then you won't have to worry about damage to your table, new flooring or back. The risk to save a few hundred bucks isn't worth it.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Trust me I considered this. I only had to jack up the table from the sides about 4 inches so we could lay the floor underneath. I lifted and settled the table very slowly using a hydrolic jack. We did not reposition the table.

I releveled the table after everything settled, and balls roll fine. I don't have any problems that I can hear or see with the seams, as the balls roll past.

If I had to move the table, I would have disassembled it.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Very nice I like your setup alot of work went into it well worth the effort.
Thanks for the update photo's.

Craig