is it true?

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do women players have the advantage of larger pockets in tournament play?

Like in golf a different tee off area

I'm curious - I'm not trying to crank up the debate

If so is it determined tournament by tournament or is there some standard?

I would be interested to know if there is a standard for men (set) and 1 for women (set)

finally if anyone knows what those standards would be?

I know i could probably google this up somehow but assume someone here knows

thanks

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I can't speak for today's tournament environment, but in years past they did play on relatively easy equipment. Although I have not seen the latest tables, I'm told they've been tightened up considerably. In the early 90's, they were literal buckets.

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
Two seasons ago they switched to Brunswick Tournament Edition Metros that have 4.5 inch pockets. At the end of last season they played on some Gold Crown V's that also had the 4.5 inch tournament edition pockets. These tables play every bit as tough as Diamond Pros.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Marop said:
Two seasons ago they switched to Brunswick Tournament Edition Metros that have 4.5 inch pockets. At the end of last season they played on some Gold Crown V's that also had the 4.5 inch tournament edition pockets. These tables play every bit as tough as Diamond Pros.
You kidding.
Stock Metro and GC's have buckets compared to Diamond pro.
NOT even close.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
You kidding.
Stock Metro and GC's have buckets compared to Diamond pro.
NOT even close.
IIRC, corner pockets on the Diamond Pro tables are 4 5/8".
Currently, the ladies are playing on tables with 4 1/2" corner pockets. I don't think they are getting any kind of a break. They can play.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rich R. said:
IIRC, corner pockets on the Diamond Pro tables are 4 5/8".
Currently, the ladies are playing on tables with 4 1/2" corner pockets. I don't think they are getting any kind of a break. They can play.

It seems lately that the size of the pockets are determined by the size of my wager. The more I bet, the tighter they play.

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sardo still a sponsor?

Why did the women use Sardo even though they had to change the break.They racked the nine ball on the spot since ? I remember buying a cue and a case in the hokins expo. because of the little girl style break. mark

ragoo1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the cut/angle of the pocket is what makes the diamond pros a little harder to play on and not so much the width of the pocket opening.

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ironman said:
It seems lately that the size of the pockets are determined by the size of my wager. The more I bet, the tighter they play.

Similar to one of minnesota fats famous quotes.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's so difficult to make a generalization about the equipment women play on. In some instances, they play on the exact same tables as the men. At the BCA Open, both the men and women play on the same tables (Diamond Pro). I know when Amsterdam Billiards used to host the Women's Fall Classic, they played the vast majority of their matches on the room's standard Gold Crown IIIs and it just so happens, the pockets played a little tougher on those tables than most (not tight but not loose).

However, for the televised matches, they often bring in a feature table with brand new cloth and under television lighting. We all know new cloth can widen pockets and I'm pretty sure the hot lights used for television could also have some impact on how easy the table plays. I don't think it's deliberate. If anything, I think it's just an unintentional consequence of the marketing plan by the WPBA. The TV table isn't MADE easy but it ends up playing a little eaiser than it normally would.

storke

One Pocket Player
Silver Member
Pockets

The women do now play on 4 1/2 inch pockets. However it is not the same as the Diamond pro cut tables. The difference is the shelf it's longer on the Diamonds. Which makes the table play much tougher. Balls that would normally rattle and go, hang in the pocket or spit out.

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
Because there is no governing body for mens pool there is no option for comparison. The same can be said about the fact that there is no standard table (as far as I know, I'm not really into womens pool) WBPA events, different types of tables, different cloth, rails, pockets, etc.

av84fun

Banned
ragoo1 said:
I think the cut/angle of the pocket is what makes the diamond pros a little harder to play on and not so much the width of the pocket opening.

You are correct that there are several variable other than point width that significantly alter pocket behavior...including the face angle, face pad material and especially shelf depth.

But the notion that there is any huge difference between Diamond vs. GC tables with a given pocket width is largely myth IMHO.

Pros, being pros shoot very accurately and the number of shots where such variables would make a difference would be in a range of 1 shot in 20...if that...IMHO.

The same is true for so-called "large sweet spot" golf clubs. The truth is that the pros his dead center so often that the virtually never use the outer portions of the sweet spot.

Back to pool tables...IMHO...the pocket differences would be a MUCH bigger deal to amateurs than pros or top roadies.

Regards,
Jim