The Physics of Pool

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the object ball is near the end rail, maybe four inches or less, and the cue ball is almost back along the path to the pocket I overcut the ball every time, firing with speed. The angle should hit the side rail. Instead the object ball and induced spin finds some bite and it whips into the corner pocket. One of my favorite shots since the cue ball naturally clears the path of the object ball. That same induced spin helps the ball run down the rail if it needs to.

I suspect a man with John's banking skills and experience can make the ball curve other places. One thing for sure, I'm never ever going to tell him he is wrong! One thing I learned long ago about the old men. They aren't always right about why something happens but when they tell you how something will happen take it to the bank!(sorry, couldn't resist!)

Hu

Maybe we could paraphrase that last part into a T-shirit that reads:

Don't f*ck with old men
They know stuff

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks lou ,
i like the way you write and think about the beautiful game of pool .
50 years of expirience cant be beaten .

to all the bigtime poolplayers here on az :

listen to mr . figueroa , you can learn something .

if you have something to say about pool , say it .
if not , dont post something disrespectful , and dont make funny or sarcastic comments .

have a nice weekend and keep in stroke everybody...

Well, regrettably, 50 years of experience can and often is beaten but thanks anyway, 4pointer, I get your point, lol.

Lou Figueroa

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I always think the opposite

Maybe we could paraphrase that last part into a T-shirit that reads:

Don't f*ck with old men
They know stuff

Lou Figueroa

I always think I should have wrote a book when I was a teenager and knew it all. Then I could have coasted my whole life off of the proceeds!:grin:

Hu

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course this is true - so obviously true, in fact, that I wonder why people think it's necessary to say it, as if anybody needs convincing. I've never met any player of any caliber that thought so much about anything that it hindered their development.

You see lots of technical conversation here because this is a forum for conversation - we're not in the middle of a match.

pj
chgo

PJ, you hit the nail on the head, sir.

Its really hard, almost impossible to tell you how I play but, pretty easy to say why.

Even the top pros usually have a hard time explaining "how" but, they can for sure explain the "why".

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
Notice that all the cue tip contact time is performed with a level cue and again no real defined speeds.....just soft, medium, and fast.

There is nothing related to when the cue butt is elevated which will change the contact time.

With a level cue, the force from the cue causes the the direction of the CB to be 90 degrees to the table.

Raise the butt of the cue. Now the force from the cue is trying to cause the direction of the CB to go into the table, not perpendicular to the table surface, especially if you can only hit high on the CB......like when the CB is close to another ball requiring to stroke jacked upped.

This increases tip contact time. It also requires what I call raising tip stroke.

So, to say that cue tip contact tip is a certain time without testing with the cue butt at different elevations, something that happens in the real world, is wrong.

Oh...I was a test engineer for many years.......I know what valid and invalid test scenarios look like.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing is "truly" scientific in any of the tests when a "human" is performing the tests.

Nothing is "exact" and "measurable".

You need some sort of "machine" or "robot" that can be calibrated to perform the "same" routine with defined and exacting specifications with virtually no deviations.

Hitting the ball "soft" isn't like hitting the ball "EXACTLY at XXX speed with the cue elevated at EXACTLY XX angle"...etc., etc., etc.

Not to say that some things can't be figured out from "rudimentary" experiments.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Dwell time doesn't matter

Notice that all the cue tip contact time is performed with a level cue and again no real defined speeds.....just soft, medium, and fast.

There is nothing related to when the cue butt is elevated which will change the contact time.

With a level cue, the force from the cue causes the the direction of the CB to be 90 degrees to the table.

Raise the butt of the cue. Now the force from the cue is trying to cause the direction of the CB to go into the table, not perpendicular to the table surface, especially if you can only hit high on the CB......like when the CB is close to another ball requiring to stroke jacked upped.

This increases tip contact time. It also requires what I call raising tip stroke.

So, to say that cue tip contact tip is a certain time without testing with the cue butt at different elevations, something that happens in the real world, is wrong.

Oh...I was a test engineer for many years.......I know what valid and invalid test scenarios look like.

One of the "truths of AZB pool physics" holds that a dwell time with a variance of up to forty percent total doesn't matter.(Plus or minus fifteen to twenty percent.) Somehow I have always suspected it does. I look at all the things that are transferred with a roughly .001 second hit and somehow I have to think that the varying times of contact do matter. I have always suspected that the lower angles that pinch the cue ball between tip and table matter since they matter quite a bit with more elevation! I have learned that understanding physics and mechanical design are two different things so I sit back and don't bother trying to explain things that people haven't been able to explain in thirty years plus now!

Always interesting the things we share in common with others on AZB. I set up the testing for several small R&D companies. Was VP of one of them. I'm pleased to say that I never assembled an invalid test set up. Sometimes tests failed but that was because I was overruled by purely office types that were guilty of what we often see on AZB, incomplete data. In the case of the testing, things that should have worked on paper didn't because of a lot of small variables that weren't in the math. Easier to build it and test than to play with the math sometimes but frustrating to build something after other people with other companies had tried the same thing over and over and failed.

One thing interesting. One of my friend's inventions or what seemed to me like a discovery was rejected by the SBIR program while it was under patent. The inventor is dead now and the military has been using SCP under another name. May have used it as early as Desert Storm but we couldn't document it.

I had a lot of fun in R&D. Four and a half days a week I could stare out the window and nobody knew if I was working or daydreaming. Fridays everybody knew that unless I was in crisis mode I was planning the weekend fishing trip!:thumbup:

Hu

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I originally wrote this close to 20 years ago as a post to RSB.

It's been reposted around the interweb a few times and a recent thread here gave me the thought of blowing the dust off it.

#####
I have played pool, off and on, since I was a teenager and first fell in love with the game. I'm now 65.

Here and there, there have been times during which I've abandoned the game for periods of months, and in some cases, years. Currently, I am in the eighteenth year of my latest infatuation with the game. Over these past dozen and a half years or so, I've regained some old skills, found that I never lost others, learned new and marvelous things about the game and myself I'd never imagined before, discovered one pocket, sat at a skill plateau for years, and blessedly made incremental improvement. That's 18 years of effort, work, dedication, and frustration.

That's 18 years of regular practice, occasionally playing in tournaments and money matches, fueled by an unrelenting love and study of the game. I have read the works of Marlow, Capelle, Koehler, Harris, Shepard and a number of more obscure works only a hard core fanatic would track down and read. I've watched countless Accu-Stats tapes, and watched the instructional works of Kinister, Feeney, Byrne, Rossman, Mathews, Icardona, Briesath, Sigel, Rempe, et al. And here's what I've learned:

The equations don't mean squat.

When you are leaning over that critical shot, it is all about those hours you've spent hitting countless balls into the pockets, how much attention you've paid during that time, and what you have taught yourself during those hours.

Don't get me wrong.

The equations are interesting. To some they are fun and I believe there is no such thing as "too much knowledge." Certainly there can be no harm in learning and understanding them. But a great pool player they do not make. But I think we sometimes make the mistake in this group of placing way too much emphasis on the x and y of it, instead of practical ways to learn the physical act of shooting pool balls. Stance, head position, bridge, grip, levelness of cue, and delivery are what it's about. Now before the science guys (and wannabe science guys) go ballistic, I want to say that I like the diversity of the group and the fact that you can go from the discussions about gyroscopes to the first person accounts of road trips taken.

But my point is that it's become impossible not to notice the almost elitist disdain meted out by those wielding slide rules against those that advocate "just hit the damn ball." Whether the science guys like it or not, these folks are closer to the truth and pass the test of Occam's Razor better than any equation. What makes a great, or at least a better pool player, is hours on the table, not hours on the calculator.

Though I have been called "a natural" when it comes to pool, nothing could be further from the truth. I work hard to achieve the modest success I occasionally enjoy. I do believe that as in other walks of life there are some people who are complete and total naturals when it comes to a particular skill. It is, in many respects, like setting out on an attempt to conquer Everest. Some people stumble upon the mountain pass shortcuts that lead them, almost effortlessly, to the top, clear weather all the way. They pick up a pool cue and their physique, natural setup, and God given hand-eye coordination, makes them play extraordinarily with virtually little cognitive effort. Others have Sherpas that guide them through via the shortest passes to the summit. But the majority of us read the maps and books and struggle up the mountain, sometimes weathering blizzard conditions that necessitate camping out on the whatever outcrop we can find. Despite all our study, work, and preparation, the journey is sometimes hardest and longest for those of us in this camp.

So to wrap this up, I'll just say that IMO the simple, ultimate secret about pool can be found on page 46 of Capelle's "A Mind for Pool." It sits there waiting in black and white for anyone who stumbles upon it:

"The big secret is that there is no single big secret."

No aiming system, no aim and pivot, no backhand english, no equations.

Just hit the damn ball.... over, and over, and over again.
#####

My only addendum to what I wrote (oh so long along) is: if the myth makes you run more balls and makes the cue ball go where you want, go with the myth and forget the science.

Lou Figueroa

Another Stellar post Lou, really enjoyed it

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
No equation will ever fully explain the running start RAM shot made famous here a while back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No equation will ever fully explain the running start RAM shot made famous here a while back.

And I know a guy who killed another guy outside the pool hall on Magnolia Blvd in Riverside, CA.

He bashed him over the head with a house cue during an altercation in the parking lot.

The police report didn't mention what weight the cue was, what kind of tip it had, or even if the head deflected by a lot.

Guess there were no pool scientists in the pool room that night.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I aim my cue stick like I aim a rifle. Nothing more. Nothing less. I’ve had a lot of success with this approach. After all what your trying to do is shoot ducks on a pond that 41/2 x 9.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I aim my cue stick like I aim a rifle. Nothing more. Nothing less. I’ve had a lot of success with this approach. After all what your trying to do is shoot ducks on a pond that 41/2 x 9.

I have a hard time stroking the cue when the butt of it is propped against my shoulder?

How do you avoid this?

Also, does your cue have a lot of "kick"?

If so, what kind of "recoil pad" do you have on the butt of it?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
We are all doing a very complex physics problem before we shoot, some consciously, some subconsciously or shortcut based on prior good or bad results. Nobody avoids the laws of physics just like we stay plated on the earth whether we understand or even believe in gravity.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a hard time stroking the cue when the butt of it is propped against my shoulder?

How do you avoid this?

Also, does your cue have a lot of "kick"?

If so, what kind of "recoil pad" do you have on the butt of it?

Recoilless Jackson Cue with an oversized clip $m@r+@$$.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
I used to try that!

If I could shoot pool like I shoot a rifle I’d give Shane the seven!

When I was young and bent better I sometimes pretty much laid on the cue and sighted down the cue for paper thin cut shots a table length away. It often worked but I gave it up. I don't really remember why, I think it was when they lowered tables six inches while I was away from pool for twenty years!

All of the talk of aiming a pool stick has led me to wonder, how do we aim a baseball bat or tennis racket? Aim them we do, applying speed, spin, and direction in the blink of an eye. We take long seconds to aim a pool cue but can any of us explain how we really do it?

One of our many errors in pool is aiming down the center of the stick to the center of the tip when we are hitting the cue ball with the edge of the tip. The center of the stick is the natural thing to aim with yet it is the wrong thing to aim with much of the time. The next time I go to the pool hall I will keep on aiming with the center of the stick most of the time. My mind is happier with that!

While considering insanity or at least the odd and absurb, I have practiced on a snooker table with a pool cue several times lately. The pool cue seems to have about the same deflection as a steel bar causing me to miss fairly simple shots. Yet I noticed great accuracy with the shots I deliberately curved the cue ball into the back of an object ball like a baseball pitcher's curve ball whipping across the outside corner of the plate. My aim by "feel" was better than my aim by construction brought over from pool tables with different cloth, balls, and pockets.

The "why" escapes me, the "how" is undeniable. The difference was between trying to work with the conscious mind and letting the unconscious do it's thing. Once it has been fed enough information from the conscious the unconscious is many times more powerful. Yet the shots where we need it most are the ones that we are often least willing to turn it loose, trying to muscle the shot into working with our conscious mind.

Success is as simple and hard as the old pool saying, do our thinking standing. Conscious thought should be finished when we are down on a shot.

Time to make the donuts, err, mow the lawn. I love grass in February, March, and April. By mid July the affair is well over!

Hu

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I originally wrote this close to 20 years ago as a post to RSB.

It's been reposted around the interweb a few times and a recent thread here gave me the thought of blowing the dust off it.

#####
I have played pool, off and on, since I was a teenager and first fell in love with the game. I'm now 65.

Lou, are you really 85 years old?