How dominant do you believe Carbon Shafts will become, at the pro level?

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on how many are getting paid to use them, trying to get paid to use them, or started using them fairly early in their careers.

As it stands, it looks like even some of the top sponsored guys are sticking to wood outside of the break.

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ten years from now wooden shafts will be gone.

Carbon shafts will be taking over on all levels.

The price will be around $250 each in no time at all.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Seven. The answer is seven.

Freddie <~~~ can barely count that high

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my guess is that wood shafts will return to favor

,carbon fiber and other designer favorites will be a passing fad

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably carbon fiber shafts will eventually dominate, as years go by more and more young players will learn the game from the beggining using them, getting used to their feeling from scratch.

It's a similar case to Wooden LD shafts, a lot of young players by now have started playing the game using these shafts, leaving most of us "old dogs" playing with regular shafts.

I can't predict a percent - rate of saturation though, depends on economy.

Last edited:

RailBanger

Registered
I've been noticing the (pro) players' cues here in Vegas at the world 10-ball tournament. A handful use the black cues, but most are still wood, even among the young players.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been noticing the (pro) players' cues here in Vegas at the world 10-ball tournament. A handful use the black cues, but most are still wood, even among the young players.

Then they aren’t on the tv tables. I feel every match I’ve watched as 1 or both using carbon fiber.

It’s hard to say. Who knows what new ideas are in the works. Wood shafts will never fall out of favor. I’m not sure carbon shafts are better I just think they hit different then wood. It’s a difference some people like and some don’t. For the pro’s it maybe like an old putter for a pro golfer. If your struggling for some reason you go back to something that you remember winning a lot with ... How many times have you seen a pro golfer go back to some old putter he’s had for 20 years when he struggles getting them in the hole.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then they aren’t on the tv tables. I feel every match I’ve watched as 1 or both using carbon fiber.

It’s hard to say. Who knows what new ideas are in the works. Wood shafts will never fall out of favor. I’m not sure carbon shafts are better I just think they hit different then wood. It’s a difference some people like and some don’t. For the pro’s it maybe like an old putter for a pro golfer. If your struggling for some reason you go back to something that you remember winning a lot with ... How many times have you seen a pro golfer go back to some old putter he’s had for 20 years when he struggles getting them in the hole.

I'll have to agree with this all the way. After I saw players like Kaci and Filler win with CF and then switch back to their old blue stained wood shafts to also win...I think it will be up to the player. I think the variable is that CF is not forever. Vibrations and normal play wear will change conditions over time...Maybe not on the exterior, but the filling materials each manufacturer uses to fill the hollow void in the shaft.

Also, I've been watching the Taiwanese players closely. Both Ko Brothers and Kevin Cheng seen to stick to their southwest cues, while Chang has transitioned to CF with success. Those fellas are my bellwether as to where the scene will go.
Then there are other Asian monster players who aren't switching like Biado, team Japan Oi and Karubayashi, Siming Chen, Ga Young Kim, Wu, etc....

While many of the European players have switched and continue to play well with CF.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my guess is that wood shafts will return to favor

,carbon fiber and other designer favorites will be a passing fad
Wrong. Are graphite shafts in golf a fad?? Carbon pool shafts will be the norm in five years. Or less.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Their use will continue to grow for various practical and financial reasons. It's a good thing because it adds money to the industry. A financially healthy industry is more likely to support the sport.

But don't read too much into it...this is about selling you and I a new cue much more than it is about changing pro pool.

Shorty34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone here shoot archery?

Remember wooden arrows? They were replaced in the 70's/80's by aluminum...that was the greatest advancement in archery in years...

Then along came carbon fiber arrow shafts...they don't bend, they are more "true" than either aluminum or wood, they are stronger and lighter (allowing for more feet per second) and they are more accurate...

I also thought these new-fangled black arrows were a passing fad...Like CF pool cue shafts...

That was 10+ years ago...And I still shoot carbon fiber arrows today...And I don't know anyone who shoots aluminum, much less wood...

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It may have something to do with the event being one big "infomercial" for Predator products.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the best way to get everyone on board is to drop the prices to a reasonable level (like that for a regular wooden LD shaft). Then when most are hooked, like with everything the price goes up.

As for the "Pros". Most of them don't own high end cues like the armatures do. The reason, armatures have jobs. So $500 for a shaft out of the pocket is a lot to think Pros will spend. I guess the ones who have them either are sponsored or were given free of charge (which is what I would have done if it was my business).

I would love to try them out with my cue but the price tag is high...

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
from what little ive seen recently

pros using carbon fiber to break, and wood to play
i thought that was a little strange