Getting started

legend2004

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got a table in my house, and wanted to start playing 14.1. Any suggestions on getting started practicing for a beginner.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
?

I just got a table in my house, and wanted to start playing 14.1. Any suggestions on getting started practicing for a beginner.

Not sure, if you mean that your a beginner in pool or with playing 14.1
If it is both. Then pick up videos by "Byrne's" He has many on different levels of the Sport.
Also, there is a very good book by "Capelle" (Play Your Best Straight Pool)
Watch videos of matches and when you start to feel comfortable with yourself. Attend in a Billiard School. I know people who have flew into Dallas for a few days who attended Randy G.'s school. Or, pay to have some lessons by a "House Pro"
It a good thing to do.
Good luck. We love people who want to learn 14.1

Last edited:

legend2004

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure, if you mean that your a beginner in pool or with playing 14.1
If it is both. Then pick up videos by "Byrne's" He has many on different levels of the Sport.
Also, there is a very good book by "Capelle" (Play Your Best Straight Pool)
Watch videos of matches and when you start to feel comfortable with yourself. Attend in a Billiard School. I know people who have flew into Dallas for a few days who attended Randy G.'s school. Or, pay to have some lessons by a "House Pro"
It a good thing to do.
Good luck. We love people who want to learn 14.1
I've been playing pool for about 4 years now actually. I run racks of 8 and 9 ball here and there, and every once in awhile I can string together a few 8 ball racks, so I'm really just a beginner in 14.1.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Good

I've been playing pool for about 4 years now actually. I run racks of 8 and 9 ball here and there, and every once in awhile I can string together a few 8 ball racks, so I'm really just a beginner in 14.1.

Ok, that is good. There are excellant videos by Jim Rempe, Grady Mathews
and Mike Sigel on Straight Pool. It is a must to watch them.
Like I said get that book. There are Accu-Stat tapes/DVD's on 14.1 matches that you can learn by watching those great players (offense & defense).

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Welcome to the straight-pool world :)
For sure you should get *Mastering Pool* by George Fels and *Play your best straight-pool* by Phil B. Capelle-further the *straight pool bible* by *Babe* Cranfield <-small but even so very helpful.

Further-watch any 14.1 game from good players you re able to see:) 14.1 continues is a real *training-intensive* game- and if you love it you ll love it for your life once started.

take care and always a smooth stroke :)

Ingo

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
If you go to my youtube page - http://www.youtube.com/user/BlackjackDSapolis- you will find some 14.1 evaluations that I have done for some members of the forum. I try to keep the instruction easy to understand - if you need direct links to any of the videos, please send me a PM.

Good luck, if you need help with anything - let me know!

legend2004

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alright, thanks a lot guys. I have some money in my paypal account, so I'll do some shopping right now

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you go to my youtube page - http://www.youtube.com/user/BlackjackDSapolis- you will find some 14.1 evaluations that I have done for some members of the forum. I try to keep the instruction easy to understand - if you need direct links to any of the videos, please send me a PM.

Good luck, if you need help with anything - let me know!

Dave:

I went to that page, and there were links to anti-smoking videos, and organic eating, and an evaluation video critical of Scott Lee playing pool, and a house up for sale in Jensen Beach, FL, and, and, and...
...gotcha! Made you look! :D

-Sean

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Play your Best Straight Pool - this book is great but I think it's out of print and you'll be paying over 100 bucks for it. Message me if you're interested in getting your hands on it without busting your wallet.

Also message for some straight pool videos, both matches and instructional.

Some very nice basics are in the 99 Critical Shots in Pool, which is still available and only like 11 bucks on amazon.com.

Two strong practice drills:

· Roll out 5 balls, keeping most of them somewhere near the rack. Pick out a break ball (usually a ball that's near the rack but not inside of it) and a key ball (a shot that will get you easy, almost guaranteed position on the break ball). Then try to plan how you want to run the other 3 to lead up to that key ball. See if you can get perfect position on that break ball. You can add more balls later.

· The most basic practice to try for a high run is to give yourself a break shot with ball in hand and just go all out on it. Crush it. I like side pocket break shots for this but you can set up anything you like. Once you hit one just perfectly and splatter 'em, start your run and see how long you can go.

MN Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Post

Great post legend. I to am looking to get into straight pool and need pointers on where to start. I have been playing pool most of my life (8 Ball mostly - can't stand 9 Ball) but never took it to the next level. Thanks to all the contributers here, I'll start looking for these books/videos (as well as some one pocket stuff). It will give me something to do while the glue dries (restoring an old Brunswick Kling and still a month or two away from completion).

Kid

sausage

Banned

yeah, first, quit your job and get a divorce. :grin-square:

fergetabout books.... get John Schmidt's vids. they're the best i've seen.

Last edited:

sausage

Banned
i read all the books on 14.1. there's no comparison between the books and vids. schmidt's vids are super as are rempe's.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hey!?! How do we know that's the real Blackjack under the bag?

JK

Andy

I feel and smell it :grin:
jk^^

NEVER FORGET about the written books *play best straight-pool* , *Mastering Pool*, and the *straight-pool-bible* !!! all 3 ARE A MUST HAVE!

even so the material available from BlackJack is amazingly helpful!

And everyone would recommend to watch as many 14.1 games as possible available on vid (or watching live^^).

Ah....it would be helpful if your wife would get a new hobby now, too :p there will be some lonesome moments in the future for her-lol

lg
Ingo

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Buy "Play your best straight-pool" by Phil B. Capelle and read through Blackjack's posts. He (Blackjack) has a ton of practical information and evaluations of 14.1 videos.

Marop (Hope I got that right) has several 14.1 videos that are great to watch. They make me want to play.