Mental game ignoring the doubters

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing pool for 30 years and do not have much backswing past 90 degrees. I have won several local tournaments and have made a eighty ball run in straight pool. I also have beaten several 630-650 fargo rated players in tournaments over the years. My question is how to deal with negative people telling me I have no stroke, I then get self conscious and believe it. I have limited time and want to enjoy my game as is. Any advice for a unorthodox player would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i am not an instructor
as good as you play
my first responce would be to say to them
"wanna play some $100 sets" ?

:)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
allen hopkins had a "funky " stroke
he did ok ...:D
just sayin

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
one last thing
if i could run 80 balls in straight pool
my stroke is good enough
:thumbup:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My question is how to deal with negative people telling me I have no stroke,

As bbb stated. Deal with them at the table.
I play with a guy...you can beat him all day long ...win 10 games of whatever and he'll tell you everything you did wrong.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been playing pool for 30 years and do not have much backswing past 90 degrees. I have won several local tournaments and have made a eighty ball run in straight pool. I also have beaten several 630-650 fargo rated players in tournaments over the years. My question is how to deal with negative people telling me I have no stroke, I then get self conscious and believe it. I have limited time and want to enjoy my game as is. Any advice for a unorthodox player would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

There is a guy in our 8ball BCA league with absolutely zero stroke. He is a friend of mine and I've known him for about 12 years. He plays great. Gave me my only loss last week, and I'm no slacker. He lines the shot up with his cue tip about 3 inches behind the cue ball. Then with no back swing at all he pokes the cue forward through the cue ball. He's done this since I've known him, and he always plays great. He's a BCA 8 and ranked in the top 20 right now out of a league of 116 players.

Last edited:

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forget them, what did they ever do that's great in the pool world? Got people telling me crap about runout choices, stance, not bending legs. EVERYone shoots different based on anatomy and what they are comfortable with e.g follow/draw. That being said, It's difficult to take advice sometimes but there are little tidbits of gold knowledge that shine through that can be picked up. Just digest it enough to put your own spin on it, if it works carry on with it and continue to look for more! It's what pool is all about

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate all the positive feedback, I have let some people get in my head. I figured the instructors deal with the mental and the physical side of the game.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

You may want to say, "My hi-run in Straight Pool is 80 balls, if you have ever run 100 balls and want to help me do the same, I'd be happy to hear your stroke advice."

Thus you affirm your skill and let them know where you stand.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may want to say, "My hi-run in Straight Pool is 80 balls, if you have ever run 100 balls and want to help me do the same, I'd be happy to hear your stroke advice."

Thus you affirm your skill and let them know where you stand.

I have no advice to give, I was simply asking for help with my mental game. I do understand my writing skills are not the best. As for my accomplishments I put that out there as a example of past performance. I dont totally suck and want to improve without blowing up my game and starting over. Thanks

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suffer from poor concentration, anything that makes the game simplified helps me.

Having poor concentration and running 80 balls are contradictory. You concentrate just fine.

I bet you have trouble with certain long shots and power shots. A short backstroke is necessary on some shots but it's only one weapon in a pool player's arsenal. I guarantee that your short backstroke started out of fear. You probably missed some shots and started tightening everything up, and now it's a habit.

Your critics aren't wrong. But it's clear that you're unwilling to change, so you're just going to have to grin and bear it.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having poor concentration and running 80 balls are contradictory. You concentrate just fine.

I bet you have trouble with certain long shots and power shots. A short backstroke is necessary on some shots but it's only one weapon in a pool player's arsenal. I guarantee that your short backstroke started out of fear. You probably missed some shots and started tightening everything up, and now it's a habit.

Your critics aren't wrong. But it's clear that you're unwilling to change, so you're just going to have to grin and bear it.

My stroke developed because it was easier to control the cue ball, been that way since I was 12. I am willing to make small adjustments and welcome suggestions. Thanks

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My stroke developed because it was easier to control the cue ball, been that way since I was 12. I am willing to make small adjustments and welcome suggestions. Thanks

I think you're fine with a small backstroke because you properly push through the ball to transfer energy, which many players don't do. You probably stroke like a carom player, and those players have the best strokes in the world.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you're fine with a small backstroke because you properly push through the ball to transfer energy, which many players don't do. You probably stroke like a carom player, and those players have the best strokes in the world.

I appreciate your feedback. Thank you

eazyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

x2 on the above statement.

I dont know many people who can run 80 balls. This is a pool forum where only pool players reside and i bet not even 20% of people here can run 80+ balls.

If you changed to longer stroke you prob run 150 balls but as mentioned you might not want to change since you have been doing if for so long.

Dont let others get you down man. 80+ is solid!

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
x2 on the above statement.

I dont know many people who can run 80 balls. This is a pool forum where only pool players reside and i bet not even 20% of people here can run 80+ balls.

If you changed to longer stroke you prob run 150 balls but as mentioned you might not want to change since you have been doing if for so long.

Dont let others get you down man. 80+ is solid!

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Oh, I get it now....you hate change. It's okay. Lots of players are like you. Small adjustments aren't going to do anything for you. Either put in the work or don't bother.

Back to your original question about how to handle the critics: Take their advice. But if you won't, then ignore them.

Last edited:

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, I get it now....you hate change. It's okay. Lots of players are like you. Small adjustments aren't going to do anything for you. Either put in the work or don't bother.

Back to your original question about how to handle the critics: Take their advice. But if you won't, then ignore them.

I think you are a little intense. If Kieth Mccready said he was struggling with his mental game and people being critical of his form would your response be straighten your sidearm out. Or could you fine tune what he needs help with. Because I work many hours and play fairly well to begin with the nuclear option is not needed. Now if you have drills to lengthen my stroke a little at a time I am all ears. Its not about being lazy for alot of us pool is a luxury, I play 3-6 hours a week max. Thanks