Best Mental Game

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
We all seem to know SVB is Tiger Woods like at times. But after watching the likes of Lassister/Balsis/Crane etc at Janscos for 5 years in college....often it came down to "who had'' the best mental game. I'm glad Shane has chosen to ''dig in'' and tame this Mosconi/moment. Good luck this year in the Cup, as well as 2018 US Open/Mandalay Bay. It's an amazing thing to see, that a game can mature your character, more and more with each passing year.:thumbup:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Jose Parica had as strong a mental game as any player I can remember.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn’t agree more island drive. Shane seems to have
that something extra special. The only other player that seems
to keep growing and getting better, while his contemporaries
move on to other things, is Efren. We may see Shane still winning
in his 60’s!

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
After seeing him deal with Shaw's rack shenanigans at the China Open and still coming out on top, my vote has to go to Ko Pin Yi.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Perfect Storm

Selby, yeah but rotation players.

VARNER....EFREN....PARICA....CRANE....LASSITER....EDDIE TAYLOR

Be a difficult choice.

Who wins, the younger or the older dream team?

If they were all in dead stroke

Lassiter, Worst & Eddie Taylor
vs
Varner, Efren & Parica

Who would you pick? And why.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After seeing him deal with Shaw's rack shenanigans at the China Open and still coming out on top, my vote has to go to Ko Pin Yi.

Yeah I agree. And I think there's a cultural norm in Asia to control the outward expression of emotion, which is a big part of the mental game. If you start showing your frustration, I think it can act like a self-fulfilling prophecy, and drive your gameplay down.

Shane's strength is his strong drive to win, not controlling the outward expression of his emotions. He's actually pretty poor at that. If something goes wrong, he shrugs, talks to himself, furrows his brow, etc. He's not Earl, that's for sure, but he's not like one of the Asians or Europeans either. He's a pretty typical American pool player in that respect.

But it makes me wonder about the importance of those two aspects of the mental game, controlling emotions and will to win. Lots of great athletes have been pretty emotional, and have a pretty damn strong will to win. I'm thinking about the thing with Serena Williams recently. Or Borg vs. McEnroe. On the other hand, tennis is a very active game. Pool is more about composure. It's hard to believe that emotions help pool players.