Guess I’ll start playing one pocket. Help needed.

jbullerjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to be the only game that anyone’s willing to bet a nickel on.
So after many years, I guess I’ll start playing the game.

I watched many matches online but the only ones that I really can get interested in are the ones that are commentated by Jeremy Jones. His insight really is helpful to me.

If anyone knows of some great matches where Jeremy was the commentator please post up.

Thank you for your help

Jimbo

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I watched many matches online but the only ones that I really can get interested in are the ones that are commentated by Jeremy Jones. His insight really is helpful to me.

If anyone knows of some great matches where Jeremy was the commentator please post up.

Thank you for your help

Jimbo

Might be able to get your answers on OnePocket.org
These guys eat & sleep 1P.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Josh Roberts is one of the most educational one-pocket commentators if you can find any matches where he's doing commentary. He breaks down the question of *why* a certain shot is the right shot and certain shots are bad choices in more detail and depth than most others. He knows the game super well and is really good at verbalizing his reasoning.

I know he does some commentary on the Freezer's One Pocket tourney from last year which has a bunch of matches up on youtube; I'm not sure about what other matches might feature his insights.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found the same thing.One pocket is the game of choice for many.
Last Saturday it was being played on 4 tables next to each other.
After playing all the other games for 57 years I am now learning one pocket.
The videos on u tube can be helpful,but a lot of the banks,kicks and shots made by high level players are beyond the abilities of most of us.
I have been watching players of about my skill set that know the game very well to see what they do.
Having an extensive back round playing straight pool helps me a lot with safety play.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This isn’t the answer to your question, but there is one match a lot of one hole players swear by to watch:

Jimmy Fusco vs Jimmy Rempe commentated by Freddie Bentivegna. The commentary in that particular match by Freddie is super, super, educational for overall game strategy.

The match is available on Accu-Stats.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For matches with Jeremy Jones commentating, contact Big Truck. I believe he streamed a bunch of high profile action matches with JJ commentating.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OnePocket is the go-to game in a lot of rooms.. seems like 9 Ball
is sort of becoming 'Checkers' to 1P's 'Chess'... having said that:

Buy Tom Wirth's book on 1P

Watch a lot of matches on YouTube.. Efren, Dennis, Alex, Tony...
watch how they play offense AND defense.

Get Jay's DVD of Ronnie Allen and Danny Diliberto.. if you can,
get the long version.. so many moves, kicks and banks.. essentilal.

Practice banking... A LOT.

My $.02

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I second that. Get Tom Wirths book, one pocket, a game of controlled agression and see you over on the other web site.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best way to learn 1P is to play 1P. Play cheap games to get cheap lessons. You will quickly find out what works and what doesnt, assuming you lose a lot initially. Also learn to be patient, very patient.

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you for your help

Jimbo

Practice your banking and a lot of it -

bill

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Best way to learn 1P is to play 1P. Play cheap games to get cheap lessons. You will quickly find out what works and what doesnt

No, not that quickly. Eventually sure, but it's a very inefficient way to learn. Experienced players who are willing to really level with you, either in person, on the internet, via published books, or via video commentary, can clarify the crucial concepts of the game so much faster and with so much less frustration and heartache than just playing through your cluelessness.

Of course you need to actually play the game as well; all of the above won't help you much if you don't try out what you're learning in competition, but just getting in the box, in isolation, is a poor way to learn.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best way to learn 1P is to play 1P. Play cheap games to get cheap lessons. You will quickly find out what works and what doesnt, assuming you lose a lot initially. Also learn to be patient, very patient.

It's a yes, to the above.

Commentary isnt really that helpful, imo. While it may provide the 'why' it doesnt give 'why this, not that'.

An opponent punishing you for the wrong choice does.

Additionally, there are so many subtleties involved in shot selection that arent revealed in videos.

That said, use what you know and what you know you can do to come up with your own twist on the game. That's what makes 1p cool, you get to choose and invent.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, not that quickly. Eventually sure, but it's a very inefficient way to learn. Experienced players who are willing to really level with you, either in person, on the internet, via published books, or via video commentary, can clarify the crucial concepts of the game so much faster and with so much less frustration and heartache than just playing through your cluelessness.

Of course you need to actually play the game as well; all of the above won't help you much if you don't try out what you're learning in competition, but just getting in the box, in isolation, is a poor way to learn.

Well your learning curve is not going to curve much until you play. I did watch live tournament play in addition to playing,, but i didnt have youtube or buy any books to learn. That was my experience. Learning the game was and continues to be very enjoyable. Good luck.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well your learning curve is not going to curve much until you play. I did watch live tournament play in addition to playing,, but i didnt have youtube or buy any books to learn. That was my experience. Learning the game was and continues to be very enjoyable. Good luck.

Hey,
Mr Poole,
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU !

Best of rolls to you in your new location "

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Well your learning curve is not going to curve much until you play.

Yeah, I agree. If you're not playing, the other stuff won't really help.

Also for me, discussing the game with better players, while playing, has been the greatest supplement to my own experience; youtube and books have been of lesser, but not zero, value.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tom Wirth... if you can swing it go to Florida and spend a day or two with him. Nobody teaches better. He’ll evaluate and get you started. Aside from being a master player, instructor, author, commentator he is the nicest and most sincere person you’ll meet at a pool table .... or life in general. He is beginning to get an Out of Town following. People are coming to Florida for lessons. And they’re going back for more. He’ll teach any level.