AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and any decent stories
I find them interesting still

PM me if you have any pictures or junk for sale

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was probably the best pressure/money player of his era and one of the greatest that's ever chalked a cue.

I heard a story about Lassiter and don't know if it's true or not.

Lassiter was playing 100 points straight pool for $5000 at a time when a modest house costs $5000 so a real high bet.
His opponent needed just a couple balls and Lassiter ran 100 and out or something like that.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A guy i know was at the first few JC events. One year Lassiter was in the bar half-asleep. Someone walked up and told him match was next. LL went to rr, washed his face then went out and ran 150 on the guy!!

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
The late George Fels wrote about this story. Lassiter was spotting a guy 100-60 for 5k,his opponent got it to 58-8,and Luther ran 92-out with his guy in the 2 hole. Tommy D.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had just taken off the house playing danny medina after losing to jersey red
in what i considered a spread

at any rate i spotted danny medina 8 to 2 but he had to bank both balls

i covered all bets and won everybody's gambling money

wimpy said" nice score ,i have seen it all now, a guy can't make 2 balls wins every dime in the house, someone steals my cue and i finally learn what it takes to win money and get out with it"

wimpy said later"i used to think you practice hard,you become the best, you bet high and watch expenses and if you are lucky you cover expenses"

Now I discover you get good,you can't get any action because people are afraid,
along comes a man in a sport coat ,can't make a ball, gets action with everybody in the house"

that was my introduction to wimpy AKA Luther Lassiter

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I heard a story about Lassiter and don't know if it's true or not.

Lassiter was playing 100 points straight pool for $5000 at a time when a modest house costs $5000 so a real high bet.
His opponent needed just a couple balls and Lassiter ran 100 and out or something like that.

My favorite Lassiter story is when he gambled against some guy at nine ball and missed the four ball. He immediately conceded the rack. His opponent asked why and Lassiter reportedly told him "if you're not out from there, you have no chance anyway." Gamesmanship extraordinaire!

My favorite Lassiter quote is "the day I stopped missing easy shots was the day I realized that no shot is easy." Words to live by.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
National Billard News/Before Billiard Digest & Pool & Billiard

Created by Conrad Burkman....his old issues will have what you seek.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and any decent stories
I find them interesting still
Article containing a great deal of attention to the gambling between Luther Lassiter and a very cocky Ronnie Allen at Johnston City. (Also includes *plenty* of historical background about decades of American pool hustling during the 20th Century):

https://tinyurl.com/ycw3vw8b

Arnaldo

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The late George Fels wrote about this story. Lassiter was spotting a guy 100-60 for 5k,his opponent got it to 58-8,and Luther ran 92-out with his guy in the 2 hole. Tommy D.

thats the story.
I had it close in my post.