Red Shoes Worlds Straight Pool Qualifier

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lost a close one

Having a good time at Red Shoes. I lost my first match to Dennis. It was a nail biter and was anyone's game. He beat me 100-92. It was a pleasure playing him.

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great time at Red Shoes

I just wanted to say thanks to John Lavin of Red Shoes for hosting a great tournament. Also thanks to Dennis for streaming some of the matches.

This was my first qualifier and also the first time I ever played 14.1 on 9 footers in a tournament.

I lost to Dennis Walsh 100-92. I won my match against Andrew Walker 100-58 and had a high run of 38 to open the match. Then I lost to Ed Latimer 100-38. He played well and I could never get anything going.

Last edited:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thumbs Up

I just wanted to say thanks to John Lavin of Red Shoes for hosting a great tournament. Also thanks to Dennis for streaming some of the matches.

This was my first qualifier and also the first time I ever played 14.1 on 9 footers in a tournament.

I lost to Dennis Walsh 100-92. I won my match against Andrew Walker 100-58 and had a high run of 38 to open the match. The I lost to Ed Latimer 100-38. He played well and I could never get anything going.

Jim:
I am very proud of you for doing so well. First of all, just going is a job within it self. Second, playing on great 9' tables for the first time. It is another world. You won a match and took Dennis to the hill (you can not get closer with that score) must of been a very exciting match. Did you video tape it? Would love to watch it, if you did. You lost to a very strong & well know player up there. You did really well. Can't wait until we talk & you tell me all about it. Hope that you took some photos. Have a safe trip home.

Last edited:

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim:
I am very proud of you for doing so well. First of all, just going is a job within it's self. Second, playing on great 9' tables for the first time. It is another world. You won a match and took Dennis to the hill (you can not get closer with that score) must of been a very exciting match. Did you video tape it? Would love to watch it, if you did. You lost to a very strong & well know player up there. You did really well. Can't wait until we talk & you tell me all about it. Hope that you took some photos. Have a safe trip home.

Thanks Mike. It was a great experience. So many great players and a new set of friends. The tables did play great. The cloth was only three weeks old and played perfect. The pockets were a little forgiving but weren't trivial either. There is no video of my matches, but you might see my elbow a couple times pop in on the side since I played two of my matches next to the streaming table. My match with Dennis was exciting. I lost the lag and broke and he opened with an 18. I returned with a 19 and that pretty much describes the whole match. We were within a rack of each other almost the whole time and for much of it just a few balls. We were tied 88-88 with enough balls on the table for either of us to get out without going into another rack. Dennis pocketed 10, I got 4 and Dennis finished me off with two more.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Very good

Thanks Mike. It was a great experience. So many great players and a new set of friends. The tables did play great. The cloth was only three weeks old and played perfect. The pockets were a little forgiving but weren't trivial either. There is no video of my matches, but you might see my elbow a couple times pop in on the side since I played two of my matches next to the streaming table. My match with Dennis was exciting. I lost the lag and broke and he opened with an 18. I returned with a 19 and that pretty much describes the whole match. We were within a rack of each other almost the whole time and for much of it just a few balls. We were tied 88-88 with enough balls on the table for either of us to get out without going into another rack. Dennis pocketed 10, I got 4 and Dennis finished me off with two more.

What does a real pool room look like?

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

Attachments

• redshoesbig room.jpg
    redshoesbig room.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 218

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Results

Well, it is over.

Karabotsos First. Cozzolino second.

We got some video up, although I had some audio problems on my feed. I just picked up the camera Tuesday and I will need to figure it out some, but at least we got some runs up there for you.

Stevekur: I want to thank you for spreading the word, especially on the other feed we had up for a few games. Since I was playing, I was limited in what I could do on the feeds and your continued support was noted by all.

Marop: Your cameo appearance on the stream and words of encouragement on the phone to Jeff Mohl were just enough to shark him in his match with Karabotsos. :rolleyes: I don't know what you said to him, but it worked! You Greeks sure do stick together!:wink:

9ballJim: It was great meeting you and a nail biter of a match playing you. It was nice chatting with you, Mohl, Ron Shepard, Ed Latimer, Coz and others after the match. You are certainly a kindred spirit, a great student of the game and are welcome at Red Shoes anytime.

Jeff Mohl and Tom Karabotsos went to the big dance the last two years. The year before that it was Jeff Mohl and Rick Michalec, Sr. This year Rick knocked Treff out, running a couple of 30s and then got hit with a 70 from Karabotsos, and was finally felled by Ed Latimer who is always a threat.

Bob Cozzolino went to the World's 4 years ago, going all the way to Drexeline in Philly to find a qualifier and winning out over the likes of Ed Deska, and Bobby Chamberlain if memory serves. He has been itching to get back ever since and his hard work has paid off.

Tom Karabotsos took first, running 2 70s and a 54 in his three games.
Bob Cozzolino, after losing his first match 94-100, after Jeff Mohl ran 43 and out on him, zipped through the losers side beating Walsh, Treff, Klein, Latimer and Mohl to take the second spot. Bob had a couple of 40+ ball runs in his last two matches and I would imagine he had some good runs in his other matches, too.

Jeff came back from a big deficit and ran out on Coz, and went through the rest of the field like a hot knife through butter until Maropulos put the hex on him and Karabotsos ran a 54 on him. After waiting forever and then coming back the next day, Jeff saw his 30 ball run answered by Coz with a 49 and shortly thereafter, his rein came to an end.

Congratulations to all who won and all who played. It was a great qualifier with many good runs. :thumbup:

First Round match: Mohl v. Cozzolino: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiLb1N4QkeI
Second Round: Karabotsos v. Walsh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-ioKR7KTZA
Rick Michalec, Sr. v. Ed Latimer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPJ9VM5ZcUo

Jeff Mohl Tom Karabotsos: part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id1QXMSoG5k

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcO9qfE2_MI

Last edited:

strtshtr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the stream, Dennis. I watched Karabotsos play Mohl and enjoyed it thoroughly.

I look forward to watching the other matches.

Much appreciated,
Jim

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Thanks for the stream, Dennis. I watched Karabotsos play Mohl and enjoyed it thoroughly.

I look forward to watching the other matches.

Much appreciated,
Jim

You are welcome.

The Mohl/Cozzolino match is ok. Mohl has a nice run in there.

In the Walsh/Karabotsos we trade idiotic mistakes until the score is about 26-13 and then bam!

The Michalec/Latimer was on a tighter table and the camera was not as clear either.