3/8 × 10 versus radial pin, is 3/8 x 10 obsolete?

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked the cue makers and would like to hear the opinions of the players as well. Please give feedback based on experience using one or both joint styles, all the pros and cons. Thanks

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You got a ton of answers in the other thread. If that's not enough for you, nothing will be and you're just wasting everyone's time.

Julian

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked the cue makers and would like to hear the opinions of the players as well. Please give feedback based on experience using one or both joint styles, all the pros and cons. Thanks

Well, my 3/8 x 10 shafts don't fit on my radial cues, and my radial shafts don't fit on my 3/8 x 10 cues. Aside from that, I don't see any difference just based on the pin.

Oh, I guess I like how the 3/8 x 10 pin looks a bit better, looks more higher end to me.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Own a 3/8-10 Bob Owen and a radial pin Jim Buss.

Cannot feel any difference in the hit. No preference.

I do find radial pin cues a bit easier to put together in a dark pool room.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a radial pin and I wish I had a 3/8 10 simply because there are more readily available shaft options out there for 3/8 10 in my experience

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You got a ton of answers in the other thread. If that's not enough for you, nothing will be and you're just wasting everyone's time.

Julian

Such hostilities. The guy only asked a question. He asked the cue makers. And I assume he got a professional level opinion of the two styles. That doesn't mean that a users opinion is the same. Or any more or less relevant. A users imput is important. If you're not happy with the product, or product design, why would you spend hundreds of dollars on it?

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not wasting anyones time! If you dont like my questions dont answer. Its called due diligence, I like to due research on subjects im interested in. Thanks

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Julian

Some people are just nervous about deciding on something. I do moderation on a computer forum and I would see someone ask the same thing 4 -5 times in different posts and in the same thread on the same topic.

"yes it will work"

"are you sure?"

"yes it's fine"

"but I read that it may not somewhere, are you sure"

"yes"

Guy makes a new post..

"hey someone in the other thread said it will work, will it work"

"yes"

"are you sure"

And it goes on for a bit more till I ban them LOL

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people are just nervous about deciding on something. I do moderation on a computer forum and I would see someone ask the same thing 4 -5 times in different posts and in the same thread on the same topic.

"yes it will work"

"are you sure?"

"yes it's fine"

"but I read that it may not somewhere, are you sure"

"yes"

Guy makes a new post..

"hey someone in the other thread said it will work, will it work"

"yes"

"are you sure"

And it goes on for a bit more till I ban them LOL

Well if someone wants to ban me for asking 2 different groups a similar question feel free! I have been on here for years and look at my post history, pretty low. Stay classy San Diego

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well if someone wants to ban me for asking 2 different groups a similar question feel free! I have been on here for years and look at my post history, pretty low. Stay classy San Diego

I am not a mod here, and it usually takes more than two repeated questions for us to decide to ban someone anyway. At two they get a warning to keep things to one thread. Threads can be deleted if duplicated, merged into one. It usually takes someone very dense and pushy to get a ban.

Was just pointing out that some people need more reinforcement than others when it comes to deciding on something.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3/8 × 10 versus radial pin, is 3/8 x 10 obsolete?

Obsolete? Not at all, new (marketing) threads come but nothing goes away.
The only purpose of the pin/thread is to center and pull the shaft on the joint.
The actual size of the pin and/or the thread count per inch is irrelevant...it just doesn't matter.
That said, why deal with more thread than needed.
As for tooling, why deal with more threads than needed. I certain prefer using a 8 or 10 thread per inch tap over a 14 or 16.
Personally, I like the radial pin as it is 8 threads per inch verses 10 on the 3/8x10.
Other options such as the 5/16x14 and 5/16x18 are just painful to me these days but for my first 20+ years that was all I had.
At 8 threads per inch, it is less of a PIA to break down a cue, even if just for a short period between matches.

Last edited:

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not a mod here, and it usually takes more than two repeated questions for us to decide to ban someone anyway. At two they get a warning to keep things to one thread. Threads can be deleted if duplicated, merged into one. It usually takes someone very dense and pushy to get a ban.

Was just pointing out that some people need more reinforcement than others when it comes to deciding on something.

I got you and its all good. Things change sometimes based on improvement and sometimes on fad and there are alot of pros and cons usually. I mean half the guys at the pool room have $1000 carbon shafts and the other have cues that are 6inches longer and 3 oz heavier than anything I have played with. For me different pins are a big step. Lol

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
I can't imagine there is much difference other than personal preference. Like a few others here, I like the looks of the 3/8x10 modified more than radial. I'm sure I could not tell the difference though. I believe a standard 3/8x10 is "obsolete" when compared to it's "modified" or "flat bottom" sibling though...

http://dzcues.com/modified_pin.html

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got you and its all good. Things change sometimes based on improvement and sometimes on fad and there are alot of pros and cons usually. I mean half the guys at the pool room have $1000 carbon shafts and the other have cues that are 6inches longer and 3 oz heavier than anything I have played with. For me different pins are a big step. Lol

Don't sweat it Welder... it's a threaded pin, not a gear ratio.
Again, it only centers and pulls the shaft to joint to create a solid connection.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't imagine there is much difference other than personal preference. Like a few others here, I like the looks of the 3/8x10 modified more than radial. I'm sure I could not tell the difference though. I believe a standard 3/8x10 is "obsolete" when compared to it's "modified" or "flat bottom" sibling though...

http://dzcues.com/modified_pin.html[/QUO i

It looks like its headed that way.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not wasting anyones time! If you dont like my questions dont answer. Its called due diligence, I like to due research on subjects im interested in. Thanks

Let me summarize it for ya:

- It does not matter
- It's a matter of preference

Can we move on now?

Julian

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a cuemaker/fixer but i've seen standard 3/8x10 loosen over time. The modified/flat-bottom version or the Radial seem to stay "snugger" longer. Nothing scientific here just one guy's observations.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Not a cuemaker/fixer but i've seen standard 3/8x10 loosen over time. The modified/flat-bottom version or the Radial seem to stay "snugger" longer. Nothing scientific here just one guy's observations.

Easier to use an insert on 3/8 10 than radial . You have to use a tap to thread radial threads .
You can live thread 3/8 10 or 11.
It's also easier to cross thread radial than in flat bottom 10's or 11.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

There’s no such thing as obsolete when a major company uses them as their main pin and many custom makers do as well.

It’s a fastner they don’t go out of style.....if they did meucci would have had to pin change long ago lol.

If it made that much difference we would just use one piece cues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro