New Cue Maker - Monster Cue

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Can I ask that anyone who feels that this is "design THEFT" please go into the WFS section and start haranguing the people selling Whitten knockoffs, instroke knockoffs, justis knockoffs, etc....

Yes Richard Chudy was the first to make one sided veneers but once it's out there then it's public domain. You all aren't lambasting every person who makes a SouthWest style cue, not condemning everyone who makes a four point cue with notched diamonds.

This is an example of a cue maker who has chosen to try his hand at a technique done by another maker. It's a time honored way of learning and moving forward in the craft, in ANY craft. There isn't a cue maker living who can say that they have never emulated the work of others in some way in their career. It's impossible not to.

Were this a dead nuts knockoff of a particular Chudy cue then yes it would be design "theft". But it's not. It's simply one cue maker's take on a particular technique that inspired them. What I find distasteful is that they don't acknowledge WHERE the influence comes from and that allows for honest enthusiasts like Jive to ignorantly brag about the design. Had the cue maker been honest and forthcoming about the influence and why he chose to emulate Chudy then the conversation would be totally different.

AnthonyLewis208

I need to speak with the architect of this S-show!
Silver Member
Can I ask that anyone who feels that this is "design THEFT" please go into the WFS section and start haranguing the people selling Whitten knockoffs, instroke knockoffs, justis knockoffs, etc....

Yes Richard Chudy was the first to make one sided veneers but once it's out there then it's public domain. You all aren't lambasting every person who makes a SouthWest style cue, not condemning everyone who makes a four point cue with notched diamonds.

This is an example of a cue maker who has chosen to try his hand at a technique done by another maker. It's a time honored way of learning and moving forward in the craft, in ANY craft. There isn't a cue maker living who can say that they have never emulated the work of others in some way in their career. It's impossible not to.

Were this a dead nuts knockoff of a particular Chudy cue then yes it would be design "theft". But it's not. It's simply one cue maker's take on a particular technique that inspired them. What I find distasteful is that they don't acknowledge WHERE the influence comes from and that allows for honest enthusiasts like Jive to ignorantly brag about the design. Had the cue maker been honest and forthcoming about the influence and why he chose to emulate Chudy then the conversation would be totally different.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JB Cases - Unmatched Protection - Unlimited Choice. - Making Cases Since 1991

Cases for Sale: www.jbcases.com/forsale.html
To Order: www.jbcases.com/ordering.html

TAP TAP TAP....

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
By posting this thread here and knowing that the cues design is stolen please don't use the word respect, that in itself is disrespectful!!!

JIMO

Dont you think you are being a little hard on the guy?

He didnt break in and steal Richard's lathe he posted pics of what he thought was a cool cue not knowing it used design elements from an RC3.

Lots of things worth getting worked up over I dont think this one qualifies. I say that as a guy who has had plenty of ideas/concepts/designs stolen from him.

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
For those that feels strongly about the design of this cue being a copy and is very opposed to it, you may air your opinions here http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=248201 where a thread has been started pertaining to Design Theft and this cue.

I'd very much prefer to have this thread focused on the cue. Thank you.

Registered
IMG_0154.jpg
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I chimed in on the other thread I might as well on this one.

Personally, I don't like the cue. When I saw the points I thought "What dumb-ass thought of that?) OOOOPS! Does not matter what it is made of, who made it, or where is was made,....... if I like it, I like it.....if I don't, I don't.

Also, is it just me or do the points of the butt sleeve not line up with the points in the forearm?

SplicedPoints

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeez.
For the people who's getting pissed and sending PMs, please go knock on the doors of some of the most respected cue makers in your city/state/country and air your displeasure with their craft. No need to do names, you know who they are.

Ever seen a Hoppe ring on a non-Hoppe cue?
Ever seen a Szamboti or Balabushka look-a-like cue by a highly regarded cue maker who's alive and well?
Ever seen a SW/Kersenbrock inspired band at the end of the butt somewhere?
The list goes on.

Do that first before trying to hang the OP for posting a picture of a cue that he doesn't own.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I chimed in on the other thread I might as well on this one.

Personally, I don't like the cue. When I saw the points I thought "What dumb-ass thought of that?) OOOOPS! Does not matter what it is made of, who made it, or where is was made,....... if I like it, I like it.....if I don't, I don't.

Also, is it just me or do the points of the butt sleeve not line up with the points in the forearm?

It's just you. The points in the butt are reversed so that the veneers go the opposite direction.

:)

cuemarco

Cue Mover and Shaker
seen these and others like it hanging tip-up in a store showcase in china. unfortunately i feel bad for those customers the shop owner tells its the real deal, even if the customer has deep pockets.

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont you think you are being a little hard on the guy?

He didnt break in and steal Richard's lathe he posted pics of what he thought was a cool cue not knowing it used design elements from an RC3.

Lots of things worth getting worked up over I dont think this one qualifies. I say that as a guy who has had plenty of ideas/concepts/designs stolen from him.

Agreed. :smile:

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Jive,
So you know a little history. There has been many debates on the theft of intellectual property regarding asthetic design. It's been debated for many years, and there have been recent examples of some very good copies, that have ticked off the original makers. Some very well known copies have been produced some by US makers, some by PI cuemakers, and sometimes they get called out. The cue you posted obviously has aspects of Richard Chudy's one sided veneer point.
There will be people unhappy with this cue, and some that just won't care. There are many pages here dedicated to the subject of cue design theft.

Now also take into account this cue coming from a country that is infamous for the propagation of intellectual property theft, and it won't make for pleasant discussion.

JV

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
This thread should not be pulled, and in my opinion Pm'ing the Mods and asking them to do so is disrespectful!

Hey, at least I am being honest, I could have just followed the herd and sent a PM / or sent Red Rep and then slid back under a rock like far to many members would have done.;)

As far as being disrespectful go's, I will stand up for my actions. I don't need a group to support me, I also don't need to offer up a cue with some unknown maker attached to it. Lets face it this cue could have been made here in the USA for all we really know, but we will never know for certain.

JIMO

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree

I agree 100% cue designs were being copied in the 1970s.Actually it is a compliment to the original.Also the only thing design wise that was a copy on the cue posted here was the one sided veneers. Who ever made tha cue gave it a more modern look, it would never be confused with a Chudy cue, who I feel is one of the top cue makers.

psmith6100

Marine, IL
Silver Member
dont care what others are saying it is an interesting looking cue thanx for takin the time to show it