Just How "Big" is .2mm?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see lots of people on here discussing carbon fiber shafts and many of them keep clamoring for something that may not currently be in production.

For example, there are people saying "if ONLY they made one at 11.8, I would jump all over it, but they ONLY come in 12mm."

Just EXACTLY what is that .2mm going to do for you?

That same could be asked for people going in the opposite direction.

FWIW, I can shoot with pretty much any shaft, but I do PREFER a larger diameter shaft because it fits my closed bridge tighter. However, I can easily live with something that is .2mm different than my preference.

In edit: I "think" the Becue hits "larger" in "feel" when you hit the cue ball than wooden shafts of the same diameter do. The Becue doesn't have the vibrations that "skinny" wooden shafts have when the cue ball is struck hard and way off center.

I switch, back and forth, between my 12mm Becue CF shaft and my 13.25mm, and larger, wood shafts with no problem.

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s .00787 inches. To better clarify, it’s about the thickness of the paint on the aircraft that I work on. Sprayed on a 12 mm shaft it would change the diameter about the same. I agree with you, .002 mm (.007 in) will barely even be noticeable.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
0.2 mm is a little less than twice the thickness of a dollar bill.

Thanks. :)

I "know" I can feel even the most "minuscule" difference in things, but I was alluding to why it seemed to be an "insurmountable" problem for some people to adapt to, more so than an actual measurement answer.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Don't forget that many asking for an 11.8mm are using a 12.4 Revo, so the .6 is a bigger difference. After my personal experience with 5 different CF shaft companies, I realize that the Revo is the best by leaps and bounds. As a matter of fact, I'm selling and or have sold all the other brands besides the Revo's. I am keeping my Becue only because it was an Xmas gift from my family, so I wouldn't sell it. I honestly don't hear people that play with the 12.0mm Becue say they wish it was 11.8, you really hear the Revo users saying it. Most probably don't want to use another companies 12.0 because the 11.8 isn't out yet from Predator.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Normal hair has between 0,06 und 0,08 mm diameter, with thick hair bordering on 0,1mm.
So 0,2mm is roundabout 2-3 hairs.

0,25mm I do consider manifacture tolerance (sad sad).

If only they made 10 and 11mm shafts, then I would try one.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
.oo78 of an inch
A human hair measures anywhere from .003 to .004 thousandths of an inch

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see lots of people on here discussing carbon fiber shafts and many of them keep clamoring for something that may not currently be in production.

For example, there are people saying "if ONLY they made one at 11.8, I would jump all over it, but they ONLY come in 12mm."

Just EXACTLY what is that .2mm going to do for you?

That same could be asked for people going in the opposite direction.

FWIW, I can shoot with pretty much any shaft, but I do PREFER a larger diameter shaft because it fits my closed bridge tighter. However, I can easily live with something that is .2mm different than my preference.

In edit: I "think" the Becue hits "larger" in "feel" when you hit the cue ball than wooden shafts of the same diameter do. The Becue doesn't have the vibrations that "skinny" wooden shafts have when the cue ball is struck hard and way off center.

I switch, back and forth, between my 12mm Becue CF shaft and my 13.25mm, and larger, wood shafts with no problem.

It`s a variation of the grass is always greener on the other side type thinking. Customers come in with somewhat ridiculous ideas all the time. I had one guy come in wanting his OB shaft taken down to 11mm and with a straight diameter the first 16 inches, I actually managed not to laugh and asked him how he thought that would work.. After some back and fourth he abandoned that idea, but as he left, I had a sneaking suspicion that he still thought it was possible.
That being said, I can play fine with a closed bridge on a Mezz WX900 shaft, wich is 12mm, but a Z2 shaft is too small, I can`t close my fingers around it tight enough.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Typically, though, smaller shafts give a more weak, vibrating feel which undermines confidence in the Equipment for me. Hopefully I don't have to explain why confidence in the cue is important.

I agree with what you just said.

I feel the same way.

To me, 12.5mm is about the thinnest that I feel "comfortable" with.

Anything smaller to me feels "uncomfortable" in my bridge hand with a closed bridge.

I can get just as much "stuff" on a cue ball with a 14mm shaft as I can with anything smaller. People tend to think that a smaller shaft will get more "stuff".

To me, a FATTER shaft gives a SMOOTHER ride. Kind of like getting out of a small car, that you can feel every road vibration in, and then getting into a giant Lincoln Town Car or a Cadillac.

I don't use much "stuff", unless I need it, so I prefer riding in the Lincoln for most of the ride.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I can get just as much "stuff" on a cue ball with a 14mm shaft as I can with anything smaller. People tend to think that a smaller shaft will get more "stuff".

To me, a FATTER shaft gives a SMOOTHER ride. Kind of like getting out of a small car, that you can feel every road vibration in, and then getting into a giant Lincoln Town Car or a Cadillac.

Just for sh*tz and grins, I pulled one of my 1-piece cues (19 oz.) out of the house rack the other day for the first time in several years and was amazed at how solid the feel was. I am accustomed to a tip diameter of between 12.5" and 12.75", but the other day...those 13" diameter tips were getting it done for me just fine.

Maniac

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doubtful that 99% of human beings can discern any physical difference between 11.8mm and 12.0mm or even 12.5mm.

For giggles I just laid my 12.2mm dia. Blackdot shaft next to my 11.74mm UW shaft (diameters measured with my digital calipers I use for reloading rifles cartridges), and I can't see any difference in diameter with the naked eye.
Diameters were measured from the base of the tips, on the ferrules.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think that illusion is probably caused by "new cue syndrome" - paying closer attention to tip placement. That supports the idea that accurate tip placement makes a big difference in effectiveness.

pj
chgo