Table cleaning

9BallPaul

Banned
I'm a stranger to this corner of the forum, but have a question that might be appropriate.

I'm new to home table ownership and have been experimenting with ways to keep the table spiffy.

The retailer sold me brushes and gave me a demonstration of how to groom a table and "train the felt" in the direction of the head spot, theoretically providing a faster break.

Recently on a trip to Sam's Club, I bought a package of microfibre towels that pick up dust, lint and grit without benefit of another cleaner. I've been sharpening up my table with just the towels -- toweling only one direction, toward the head spot -- and am very satisfied with the results.

Anybody using using this technique? Any chance I'm somehow damaging the felt? The towels have one further advantage: Whereas the brush tends to lose bristles (as advised, I worked it out on a brick before taking it to the table). No bristle hassles with the towel.

Anyone else?

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
Throw away the brushes and use the towels to wipe down the rails and balls. Use a home vacuum with a brush attachment to keep the cloth clean. There is no training of the cloth as the balls will create their own wear pattern.

Purdman

Banned
9BallPaul said:
I'm a stranger to this corner of the forum, but have a question that might be appropriate.

I'm new to home table ownership and have been experimenting with ways to keep the table spiffy.

The retailer sold me brushes and gave me a demonstration of how to groom a table and "train the felt" in the direction of the head spot, theoretically providing a faster break.

Recently on a trip to Sam's Club, I bought a package of microfibre towels that pick up dust, lint and grit without benefit of another cleaner. I've been sharpening up my table with just the towels -- toweling only one direction, toward the head spot -- and am very satisfied with the results.

Anybody using using this technique? Any chance I'm somehow damaging the felt? The towels have one further advantage: Whereas the brush tends to lose bristles (as advised, I worked it out on a brick before taking it to the table). No bristle hassles with the towel.

Anyone else?

I use the micro fiber towel. I use a drywall swivel sanding block and attach the towel the same way you would attach the sand paper if you were sanding drywall. It is attached to an extendable pole. I have a spray bottle and "mist" the towel. Goes under the rails and I do the whole table from one end. I find that it doesn't matter if I go one way or both. Simple and efficient.
Purdman :)

9BallPaul

Banned
Purdman said:
I use the micro fiber towel. I use a drywall swivel sanding block and attach the towel the same way you would attach the sand paper if you were sanding drywall. It is attached to an extendable pole. I have a spray bottle and "mist" the towel. Goes under the rails and I do the whole table from one end. I find that it doesn't matter if I go one way or both. Simple and efficient.
Purdman :)

I've since begun doing this. You're right -- simple, efficient and, I might add, effective. Thanks.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I hadn't seen Purd's post and was about to post almost the same thing.

I've found that using a folded high quality microfibre cloth cleans my table about as well as anything I've used yet. I've been using it dry most of the time and just fold it and wipe by hand... but I have only one table to maintain.

After a week or so I vacumn and then I wet the microfibre towel, wring it out, then wipe down.

I sometimes use the Quick Clean with the microfibre towel also. I think the trick is in the "nappiness" of the towel as it catches the weave of the fabric.

I don't know if a cheap microfibre towel will work as well.

I have some high priced ones that I've used for show car paint polishing and they really do the job. I got mine from an internet friend out in NY state. Really good guy named Steve who has built his own show car detailing product business at www.poorboysworld.com He carries only top shelf products. If you are into the best in polishes, wax, sealants, tire dressing, leather cleaner.... eveything you'd need to detail top quality paint then Steve has it for you. Plus he's a small business man who takes care of his customers. I have no stake in his company.. :D I just believe in him based on doing business with him for about 5 years.

Last edited:

9BallPaul

Banned
towels

JimS said:
I hadn't seen Purd's post and was about to post almost the same thing.

I don't know if a cheap microfibre towel will work as well.

I bought mine at Sam's Club, 25 towels for about nine bucks. Can't beat the price and they work great. I saw what appeared to be an identical cloth selling individually for $5. That's a nice markup right there.

Last edited: