Jump vs Jump break

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I see a lot of guys with a break and a jump cue is one better then the other I messed around with jump cue tonight made some great jump shots. With my jump break I don't use the jump part as it has a softer tip just looking for info as too why one would be better or not

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Gilbert jump/break that I put a Samsara tip on and also have a Jacoby jump cue with a brass ferrule and a G10 tip. Both can jump pretty well but for close jump shots and using the dart stroke the Jacoby does make it easier. The light overall weight but really heavy tip area (brass ferrule) helps get the ball up. For long jump shots with the cue ball close to the rail I tend to go to a standard grip shot and for that I actually like the feel of my Gilbert better, the Jacoby feels too light in the hand for this stroke. So, for now, I'm carrying both.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I have a Gilbert jump/break that I put a Samsara tip on and also have a Jacoby jump cue with a brass ferrule and a G10 tip. Both can jump pretty well but for close jump shots and using the dart stroke the Jacoby does make it easier. The light overall weight but really heavy tip area (brass ferrule) helps get the ball up. For long jump shots with the cue ball close to the rail I tend to go to a standard grip shot and for that I actually like the feel of my Gilbert better, the Jacoby feels too light in the hand for this stroke. So, for now, I'm carrying both.

Yea I have j&j jump break but the hard tip broke now it has softer tip I've never really jumped in a match I've always kicked but last night buddy was trying too sell me a jump cues used it about 5 shots and made all them it was pretty good feeling. It was just cheap omega jump cue but still thinking either need too get me one or put hard tip on my jb might just do both but kinda like the control I have with my break with this tip might just get me a J&J 4402F, Magic Jump cue looks like nice one for price

captainkoons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it depends on the jump shot, if you're trying to put spin on your jump shot a leather tip might be what you want on a J/B if you're just trying to make hangers that you couldn't kick in, then a phenolic might be your best bet.

I think in league you can't use phenolic to break but you can use it to jump.

I usually soft break in 9 ball with my playing cue and carry around a jumper with a phenolic tip.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
To me its a matter of convenience. Instead of carrying three dedicated cues for playing, jumping, and breaking, now you only carry two cues in your case.

I can jump or break with my playing cue, but I don't like to reshape the tip from flattening out after breaking/jumping. So, I stick with my break/jump which has a phenolic tip that doesn't deform.

There were a controversy over G10 tips whether they cause cracks on balls, so BCAPL banned the use of any phenolic tipped break cues for a few years. APA league doesn't have such a ban on break cues, but ban dedicated jump cues. So if you want to jump in the APA, you'll have to use your regular playing cue.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my break cue has a slightly softer tip that lets me break with better control. I can use it to jump all but the closest of jump shots, for that i have a dedicated jump cue that lets me get up faster.